46% of Americans believe in creation

Actually, it's currently inconsistent with accepted scientific theories. Sagan's statement is no longer valid.

I'm not sure what you mean by Sagan's statements. He was referring to frames of time in the billions of years, which I think are still valid.

One of the newer theories of the universe is referred to as"brane theory" and it does postulate an endless cycling universe, which is consstant with the idea of the Bramhan dream epoch, that describes the universe as alternating dreaming and sleeping states of God.

As for AJzepp, how do you explain the shared DNA of species?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As opposed to people who want schools to prohibit the teaching of Creationism? I say teach them both and let the kids decide

People who push for Creationism to be taught in schools are not doing it in order to present a different scientific theory, they are doing it to promote a religious belief.

You think the same people would be comfortable with the other religions being taught in the school?

If they want to teach Creationism in school, than teach ALL variations, not just the "Christian" one.

Yes, that includes the Flying Spaghetti Monster version.

I'm not a religious person. I don't go to church and have serious issues with organized religion. I know faithful Christians and Jews as well as die hard atheists. In my experience I've found the atheists to be more bitter and zealous in their beliefs

As an Atheist/Agnostic, I am bitter and zealous in my belief.

That's because I am sick and tired of having Christians trying to jam their belief down my throat every time I turn around. I have stopped counting the number of times I have been told "Freedom of Religion does not mean Freedom from Religion".

I never understood why people hate on other people that believe in the Judeo-Christian story of creation. Why does it bother some people so much?

Because most people see the flaws and lunacy of believing in creation so its irritating that a person can be so thick headed to actually believe it as fact.

I believe in the theory of Evolution. I also believe in God. They're not mutually exclusive.

I believe in a God as well. My own theory is that God assisted the evolutionary process. Giving it a special boost when needed from time to time.

Edited by Fan in San Diego

People who push for Creationism to be taught in schools are not doing it in order to present a different scientific theory, they are doing it to promote a religious belief.

You think the same people would be comfortable with the other religions being taught in the school?

If they want to teach Creationism in school, than teach ALL variations, not just the "Christian" one.

As an Atheist/Agnostic, I am bitter and zealous in my belief.

That's because I am sick and tired of having Christians trying to jam their belief down my throat every time I turn around. I have stopped counting the number of times I have been told "Freedom of Religion does not mean Freedom from Religion".

I just remind them that a good portion of the most important founding fathers were either deistic or held strongly deistic beliefs.

I just remind them that a good portion of the most important founding fathers were either deistic or held strongly deistic beliefs.

And to a man they believed religion should be seperate from secular matters. Even Jesus said render unto Caeser that which is Caeser's.

PTR

May his noodly appendage bless you always.

Would not matter (at least here in GA). They just spin it into something like "That's why they were Christians, and this country was founded on Christian beliefs (just look at US currency if you don't believe me!), and there is nothing in the Constitution stating you have the right to Freedom from religion".

Would not matter (at least here in GA). They just spin it into something like "That's why they were Christians, and this country was founded on Christian beliefs (just look at US currency if you don't believe me!), and there is nothing in the Constitution stating you have the right to Freedom from religion".

My favorite: "But isn't your life just so meaningless?"

I'm not sure what you mean by Sagan's statements. He was referring to frames of time in the billions of years, which I think are still valid.

One of the newer theories of the universe is referred to as"brane theory" and it does postulate an endless cycling universe, which is consstant with the idea of the Bramhan dream epoch, that describes the universe as alternating dreaming and sleeping states of God.

As for AJzepp, how do you explain the shared DNA of species?

PTR

Saw that on the Science Channel, did you? There's no empirical evidence of "brane theory" being at all applicable in reality - it's a mathematical theory, not a physical one. The most recent empirical evidence is that the universe will basically expand endlessly.

Common jboy...If we were in a primarily Hindu country we would be talking about teaching Hindu version of creation vs. evolution. This isn't a primarily Hindu country. Your comment if not made in jest is disingenuous at best. You teach what you believe. Can't say it any simpler than that and there is nothing to apologize for. Save your false jingoism for another time.

Or do you believe what your taught? Perhaps a well rounded look might do many on both sides of the aisle well. In this case to argue we should teach it because it's what we believe is a bit of a circulat logic for me on unproven things like religion. I think if venturing into religious teachings a diverse look at them is the best approach. To exclude anything foreign has a bit of the 'mericas the best ring to it. I get what your saying, but personally don't believe it's the best approach,

Edited by NoSaint

Saw that on the Science Channel, did you? There's no empirical evidence of "brane theory" being at all applicable in reality - it's a mathematical theory, not a physical one. The most recent empirical evidence is that the universe will basically expand endlessly.

Well much of science is first inferred by math.

PTR