46% of Americans believe in creation

Why is the Christian version of creation the only one considered? The Hindu version of creation (the dream of Brahma) is curiously consistent with the latest scientific theories.

Hinduism is the only religion that propounds the idea of life-cycles of the universe. It suggests that the universe undergoes an infinite number of deaths and rebirths. Hinduism, according to Carl Sagan, "... is the only religion in which the time scales correspond... to those of modern scientific cosmology. Its cycles run from our ordinary day and night to a day and night of the Brahma, 8.64 billion years long, longer than the age of the Earth or the Sun and about half the time since the Big Bang"

PTR

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a firm believer in evolution, but only within species. I don't feel that evolution is an explanation for how we came to be, however.

Can you explain what you mean by that? I'm taking it as you accept natural selection and variation within a species. But then where do new species come from? I'm not trying to mock you, it just seems like a contradiction to me. Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you mean.

I know a chick that believes in Creationism and has pointed out flaws in the theory of Evolution. Neither belief is 100% accurate

I believe in the theory of Evolution. I also believe in God. They're not mutually exclusive.

What are the flaws in the theory of evolution?

I agree that believing in God and evolution are not mutually exclusive. To me, they aren't related at all, nor should they be.

What I don't understand is why so many people reject evolution (and the preponderance of supporting evidence). And I just don't get why accepting science is in some way at odds with believing in God.

is there another reason we should teach christian creation instead of a hindu version? is americas more true?

Who's teaching what to who? I don't recall any mention of Christen doctrine in my trip though the public school system. For the short time I was in Catholic school, yeah but was that racist?

'course not. We're America! Fk yeah!

Common jboy...If we were in a primarily Hindu country we would be talking about teaching Hindu version of creation vs. evolution. This isn't a primarily Hindu country. Your comment if not made in jest is disingenuous at best. You teach what you believe. Can't say it any simpler than that and there is nothing to apologize for. Save your false jingoism for another time.

To clarify, I have no problem teaching Creationism or any or religious belief, but it should not be taught in a science class as an alternative to evolution until we have sufficient, widely accpted, factual scientific evidence to warrant it. Until then it belongs in a religous studies type course.

To my knowledge, there isn't any widely accepted, factual evidence for evolution as a "ground up" theory. The evidence is limited to the evolution of particular species over time. Although I am personally accepting of evolution, the idea that this theory accounts for our physical and biological origins isn't any more factual at this point than creationism, IMO.

Can you explain what you mean by that? I'm taking it as you accept natural selection and variation within a species. But then where do new species come from? I'm not trying to mock you, it just seems like a contradiction to me. Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you mean.

I'm not sure where new species come from, but last I knew there wasn't any "factual" evidence that species evolve into OTHER species. The factual evidence of evolution is limited to intra-species variation and cannot yet account for, say, our evolution from apes or fish or whatever. Perhaps at some point that evidence will be found, and it's something I will probably find as fascinating as anyone else, but as of today (last I knew) it simply doesn't exist. It is, of course, THEORIZED how one species evolves into other species, but I don't recall there being anything definitive on this as of yet.

Common jboy...If we were in a primarily Hindu country we would be talking about teaching Hindu version of creation vs. evolution. This isn't a primarily Hindu country. Your comment if not made in jest is disingenuous at best. You teach what you believe. Can't say it any simpler than that and there is nothing to apologize for. Save your false jingoism for another time.

It was in jest...but there are a lot of people who truly belive Christianity was woven in to the foundation of our country. That because of this we owe it to our country - founded by Christians in their mind - so if we are America. A country that is all about God, Jesus, and such - their belief of the American way...then it is America fk yeah!

If this were a Hindu country I do not think we'd be talking about this at all. We would be talking about theories at the very least, perhaps even spiritual viewpoints on our origin. Instead, something about being Christian makes us want to argue each other. I do it, and I am lesser of a person for it.

It was in jest...but there are a lot of people who truly belive Christianity was woven in to the foundation of our country. That because of this we owe it to our country - founded by Christians in their mind - so if we are America. A country that is all about God, Jesus, and such - their belief of the American way...then it is America fk yeah!

If this were a Hindu country I do not think we'd be talking about this at all. We would be talking about theories at the very least, perhaps even spiritual viewpoints on our origin. Instead, something about being Christian makes us want to argue each other. I do it, and I am lesser of a person for it.

It's not Christianity that predisposes people to want to argue with one another. It's humanity.

You and your "issue" would be in some deep doodoo if this were a Hindu country mister!

You've been babbling a lot lately.

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

I'm not sure where new species come from, but last I knew there wasn't any "factual" evidence that species evolve into OTHER species.

Actually, there is. Speciation has been observed - although it causes problems, not with evolutionary theory, but with the definition of the term "species".