What have the Bills done wrong this offseason?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't like the title of this thread

but

If the Bills cared about nothing except this year they could have gone after a LB like Demario Davis in the 3rd round and offer next year's #1 to Pittsburgh for Mike Wallace - Wallace is a richman's TJ Graham an inch taller, ten pounds heavier, a tenth of a second faster and with two years of very good NFL production.

of course there may be a lot of down side risk making a move like this- you're giving up a first round draft choice and you may depending on the salary cap and size of contract be putting at risk our ability to extend some core players in up coming years- and depending on the size of the contract compared to SJ you could be putting locker room harmony at risk.

TJ Graham is 5'11" and was listed at 188 lbs. Roscoe was listed at almost 15 lbs lighter. People need to stop comparing the 2.

No. We really don't. 188 lbs is extremely light for an NFL player. Anything under 200 should be suspect to copias amounts of doubt IMO.

But thanks for trying to prove a point. Still doesn't matter in my opinion.

We are all quite aware of the wildly succesfull free agency period and draft the Bills have had this off season.

But where do my fellow posters think they have come up short. Or made the incorrect choice. My only disagreement with there moves was to let D. Florence go and keep Mcgee. Why? Simple Florence was able to stay healthy and on the field. If Mcgee is healthy he is a better player. This is my only beef.

IMO letting Florence go when they did was a gesture of respect for a player who "done right" by us. They let him go early to give him the best chance to be picked up by another team and continue his career.

I think you always keep the better player, and I think they felt after the draft, they have enough depth even if McGee gets injured again.

I don't like TJ Graham in the 3rd round. It feels like the sort of "WTF?" out of left field "we're smarter than 30 other teams" draft choice that characterized previous regimes.

Def. a project player, and I would have preferred a "surer bet" at WR or a TE. OTOH, Bills have done their homework and he's def. one of the fastest and most nimble guys in the draft. I was hoping for a big burner guy who could go up and fight for it though.

My answers will be

1- Not getting a true number 2 WR (The questionable Graham pick being a little high and the failure to get Meachem).

2- Failing to add depth at tightend or LB

3- Backup center is still not completely settled (Asper not really a pure center).

4- Not keeping Florence till training camp (Couldn't have hurt to keep the guy around till camp).

These are very minor complaints compared to past off-seasons. The number 2 WR spot was attempted to be addressed by courting Meachem and they did draft Graham on top of that the market for WR's was over inflated thanks to the Redskins overpaying for several WR's.

Depth at tightend and LB is probably my biggest complaint. But there are still some guys available that could fill those roles.

Asper is likely the backup center so at least one is in place in case Wood goes down again. But I would have preferred that they go after a more veteran option.

The not keeping Florence is more so a pet peeve. Not really a big deal but I would have preferred to have kept him through camp.

I didn't like the attempt to sign Meachem. That guy is nothing special. I'm glad they passed once his price tag got high, so no harm done there. I didn't like the Teej Graham pick, but we'll see if it works out. I wasn't thrilled about them pursuing Mark Anderson (if you don't know what "regression to the mean" is, google it), but for the money they got him at, it's not a bad risk. I question the wisdom of drafting a 27-year-old backup C who never played C until after his college career was over, but that was a late pick, so whatever. I didn't like the Vince Young signing due to possible attitude issues; hopefully Young either proves me wrong or gets cut in training camp. I would have liked to see a little bit of attention paid to the DT spot -- I know our starters are awesome when healthy, but our backups are mostly 3-4 DEs and underwhelming NTs. Maybe they plan on going Giants style and rotating DEs at DT on passing downs.

And that's everything I can think of. Overall, I'm very happy with this offseason; it's the most I've liked an offseason in a long time. Obviously it would've been nice to draft a QB as a developmental guy, but the only one I liked at all (that we had a shot at) was Russell Wilson, and the 3rd round seems way too early to draft that guy. Frankly I'm stunned that Pete Carroll pulled that move, especially after signing Matt Flynn. Even though I hated the Graham pick, I don't know that I would've preferred them to take Wilson in that spot.

I only read page one in this thread but yours stands out. Are you sure you're even a Bills fan? Check yourself!

We had the most amazing off season in the league and in our history and this is what you come away with?

Holy !@#$ man I'm a pessimist at heart but your take is beyond grasp. We are having an amazing off season.Yes when the pads go on and the season starts is when it matters but good god man, you make it sound like we will be lucky to avoid the cellar in our division.

Here's my thought. We are going to go 5-1 in the division with one loss to the Pats. The rest is gravy and we are a dynamo team in the league.

!@#$in pessimism has no place on this team this year.

Go Bills!

Wished they would've drafted Floyd over Gilmore paired with a 3rd round CB over TJ Graham. Graham dropped so many passes at the combine, I doubt he would've gone any higher than 6th, plus they trashed a 7th rounder on him too. He better be at least as good as Roscoe.

I'm sure he will be as he will play a lot more than Roscoe could.

I find it hard to believe that the Bills could have done a better job of getting more talent in here. What I am most concerned about right now is the move back to a 4-3 along with Wanny at the helm....hopefully it's a smooth transition. Something else that nags on me is bringing in a QB coach that likes to get in the QB's head. I know, these two things can just as easily be a positive thing but after this many years of no playoffs I just have a hard time drinking too much koolaid.

Here's the bottle brother. Stay on board cause this is going to fun!

Go Bills!

IMO letting Florence go when they did was a gesture of respect for a player who "done right" by us. They let him go early to give him the best chance to be picked up by another team and continue his career.

I think you always keep the better player, and I think they felt after the draft, they have enough depth even if McGee gets injured again.

I don't like TJ Graham in the 3rd round. It feels like the sort of "WTF?" out of left field "we're smarter than 30 other teams" draft choice that characterized previous regimes.

Def. a project player, and I would have preferred a "surer bet" at WR or a TE. OTOH, Bills have done their homework and he's def. one of the fastest and most nimble guys in the draft. I was hoping for a big burner guy who could go up and fight for it though.

Valid point about doing right by D. Florence. Maybe McGee does not get a contract from a different team.

They took the approach that both lines needed upgrades. While they had the interior of both the OL and DL pretty solidified, they needed edge guys. They brought in two very good DE and drafted two promising OT. You still win this game in the trenches.

Brady and NE has always had stellar OL play during his tenure there. I think Buffalo's two lines should be among the best in the league. Some growing pains will occurr, but in two years from now these lines will be amazing.

If you have a good Oline you make your running backs, qb, and receivers all better.

Same goes on D. If your Dline can win the battle up front, the second and third tier will benefit.

I think the real benefit of having a 70y/o GM was just that. His age and wisdom. The game has changed and evolved, but you have to win up front still.

Yea, too bad Nix didn't start that rebuild on the O line two years ago...

Anyway, like other posters have already mentioned, a better option at #2 WR and tight end.

The Bills are still lacking that develop from scratch rookie QB. Still not happy with Pears and Ubrik at RT and RG, unless they move Hairston to RT.

I only read page one in this thread but yours stands out. Are you sure you're even a Bills fan? Check yourself!

We had the most amazing off season in the league and in our history and this is what you come away with?

Holy !@#$ man I'm a pessimist at heart but your take is beyond grasp.......

Seriously?

The thread is to discuss where you think the Bills made mistakes. The guy lists what he sees as a couple mistakes and then states how much he liked our offseason and your response is to start cussing him and questioning whether he's even a Bills fan?

Maybe you're the one who ought to check yourself.

Very solid offseason for the Bills, my only complaint is we should have picked WR Mohamed Sanu in the 3rd instead of Graham, Sanu is a big boy with very good hands and deceiving speed, I was hoping for that pick big time and was shocked to find out we picked Graham in the 3rd round....Anyway I'm hoping Buddy proves me wrong...Go Bills!!!

Biggest mistake is not bringing in an OC. I know Chan acts it but I'd rather he have someone who can do more of the detail work and let him concentrate on bigger picture.

Not the time to change the OC, even if the OC is also the HC.

PTR

shudda drafted that Burfect LB and resigned Reggie Corner. We need some mean on Defense and Burfect (sp?) seem t o fit the bill after losing out on Kuluchey. also I like reggie corner. i think we drafted him in the 4th round and brought him back last year when the season got started. I like the young guys but back up vets are important in my opinion.