What have the Bills done wrong this offseason?

That O line is no where near a team strength...

.With a rookie at LT and 2nd year player behind him, and that right side being what it is.... I just don't see that Bills having much success at anything other then that short passing game again this year. So yea, Nix should have started rebuilding that O line 3 year ago, and just about now they would be seasoned enough to play very well.

Wait... What?

Our starters are:

Pears 4 years

Urbik 3 years

Wood 3 years

Levitre 3 years

Glenn/Hairston 1 yr/rookie.

That sure looks like FOUR out of FIVE positions are rebuilt as of 3-4 years ago, and coming into their prime.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a bit confused about why a lot of people here seem so focused on the TE position?

I say this because we have the unique advantage of having 2 excellent RBs who have great hands and we are often in 5 wide sets. The very nature of our offense uses the TE position rather sparingly, though Chandler did a great job maximizing his opportunities last year. The obvious response is "it gives us a unique wrinkle" or "so and so team uses them effectively", but I don't see either as particularly persuasive arguments, a the same could be said for any position on the team. It would be great to have better depth at every position, so why is everyone so intent on TE?

I agree with you. I think Chandler showed some good things last year and still has some room to grow. I also think that having David Nelson is part of the reason the front office didn’t feel the pressing need to bring in a recognizable name or draft a TE. I know he is a WR and not a TE but he has a lot of the same qualities that make the receiving TE so valuable. He’s a big body so he can out muscle and out position smaller CBs and has too much speed for most safeties or a LB. He made a couple of really nice blocks last season too. He was a little thin last year, which is expected for a rookie so I hope he added some muscle in the offseason. Watch out for #86 this season!!!

What the Bills apparently did wrong this offseason, if you peruse TSW, is they failed to cut Fitzpatrick and sign an All-Pro to replace him, and failed to otherwise fill the roster with backups who could start on most other NFL teams.

/thread

Wait... What?

Our starters are:

Pears 4 years

Urbik 3 years

Wood 3 years

Levitre 3 years

Glenn/Hairston 1 yr/rookie.

That sure looks like FOUR out of FIVE positions are rebuilt as of 3-4 years ago, and coming into their prime.

Did you actually read my entire post before blurping out a response?

Do you know how pears and urbik came to the team in 2010? Cornell Green was the guy Nix pegged in free agency to open 2010, and when he stunk up the line so badly they cut him after 5 games. It was then that Nix scoured the waiver wire to pick up those 2. I'm not saying those 2 couldn't get coached up and develop into better players, they might. What I'm saying is that they both haven't had to block for a lot of mid to deep passing plays in the Buffalo offense. Even when Fitz was able to get the ball out in 2 seconds and under he was still pressured quite a bit and still hit very often.

Wood and levitre are the only real solid players on that line and Wood is coming off IR for the 2nd straight season. That right side is still very questionable and the world will see what I'm writing about when Fitz tries to throw deep.