Demetress Bell calls Bills' pass-blocking scheme "passive"

On the positive side, I wish the man luck, I liked his story, how he got into the NFL, made a team, became a starter and had some quality play.

He wanted more than was offered and got it, albeit as the result of an injury.

On the negitive side, The name change, Seriously? Is that like you are a fortress ? Demetress ?

Did he somehow pull a Franz Kafka and metamorphize into a player that doesn't get beat or hurt ?

His new name should have been Gotbeatrius or Injurius Bell.

Ticks me off that he went to Philly, and is subbing for that Judas, Peters.

I don't wish bad luck on anyone but it seems like Peters finally got his.

Edited by THE GASH STATION

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooboy, if the Eagles are expecting Bell to be a mauler then they are in for a surprise.

Agreed. This guy was an easy choice to let go. Supposedly the Bills offered him a deal, but he thought he could do better. He obviously did... We'll see how that works out this upcoming season...

Does Demetress know he's basically playing RT for the Eagles. He's not protecting Vick's blindside. I never understood the Eagles approach to their line, in terms of Vick. You want your best tackle protecting the blind side. Yet Peters, stays on the Left. Surely defenses know Vicks blind side is on the Right side(left side for the defense) and they send their best pass rusher to that side.

Probably not - dude didn't even know his name was Demetress!!! :doh:

Wow, if playing a "passive" style the guy couldn't stay healthy and was always getting hurt, Imagine how long he lasts (or how great his playing will look) when he plays a more aggressive style, LOL

I think it's easier to stay healthy when you're trying to kick someone's ass than when you're trying not to get your ass kicked.

The scheme is different. As far as pass-blocking, it's way more physical, it's not passive, it's not sitting back ... the run game is different angles."

That quote means nothing. Much Ado about nothing. Nada. It contains no information on 'what' is different.

Pass blocking is more passive, it's more technique than brawn.

I love how the article makes it sound like Bell is a comparable player to Peters - with the potential to be better. On what planet do these people live?

Be careful, most people around here thought Peters was ovverrated and not worth the money...

What a terrible scheme it must have been giving up all 23 sacks last season, often times with 2,3 or 4 reserve linemen in place. :wallbash:

Please, everyone KNOWS the only reason the Bills gave up so few sacks is because Fitzpatrick gets rid of the ball quick. The real test for this "passive" offensive line would be rushing yard average.

Hmm?

4.9 you say?

4th in the NFL?

Huh.

If "passive" playing like that gets that type of results, we need to make sure the entire O-Line is nice and mellow. Have fun being "aggressive" in Philly Mr.Bell!

When I read the story first thing I thought of was whether he was describing his own style of play.

I really never complained about Mr. Bell because when he was healthy he did an adequate job at LT. His lack of aggressiveness (Funny ... as I write this I think of how I have seen Wood, Levitre, Pears, and Urbik get down field with an energized aggressive style of play but if Demetrius :oops: Demetress feels it was the team's way of playing he can do that.) may have protected him from additional injuries but it seems that he is going to have a hard time replacing Peters on the Eagles' line. :lol:

You know, I have to agree with this.

Bell was always given the benefit of the doubt because he had to fill in for Peters, was a developmental player, and had not played much football prior to being drafted.

Then he was always getting hurt.

I could not agree more. I was waiting for him to consistently hold the position, and develop into a strong player, when he would constantly be injured. He was IMO solid when he did play, but I never saw him dominating anyone physically, either.

Methinks that this is more speaking to make himself feel better. Wood, Urbik, and Levitre/ Rinehardt have some grit. I never saw anything resembling a mauler from Bell.

Sour grapes.

That quote means nothing. Much Ado about nothing. Nada. It contains no information on 'what' is different.

Exactly.

"Aggressive" pass blocking? Sounds to me like a recipe for false start penalties.

Pass blocking is basically sit back and wait for them to come to you. How is that aggressive? If he's talking about playing with an aggressive attitude, then that's his problem, not the team. Maybe he should have talked to Eric Wood more.

Edited by Bruce

Agreed. I mean the bottom line is even if we somehow have a more passive scheme (whatever that means in the context of pass blocking...I'm no expert) it may well work better. Obviously a guy like Bell would probably rather be more "unleashed" and play less passive in all respects...that doesn't mean it works better. Last I checked Mike Vick was running for his life...

I believe that Jason Peters had a similar impression when he went to the Eagles. He was thrilled at the different style of line play. Don't slam Bell because he sees the same thing.

I think Peters was thrilled with the different style of PAY.

PTR

Please, everyone KNOWS the only reason the Bills gave up so few sacks is because Fitzpatrick gets rid of the ball quick. The real test for this "passive" offensive line would be rushing yard average.

Hmm?

4.9 you say?

4th in the NFL?

Huh.

If "passive" playing like that gets that type of results, we need to make sure the entire O-Line is nice and mellow. Have fun being "aggressive" in Philly Mr.Bell!

Boom ! Nice post. :thumbsup:

Does Demetress know he's basically playing RT for the Eagles. He's not protecting Vick's blindside. I never understood the Eagles approach to their line, in terms of Vick. You want your best tackle protecting the blind side. Yet Peters, stays on the Left. Surely defenses know Vicks blind side is on the Right side(left side for the defense) and they send their best pass rusher to that side.

Not necessarily...what you say is true but generally the best pass rushers are RDE because most qbs a right handed, so even if your qb is left handed the strong pass rushers are generally still on the right side of the defense.

I believe the Bills traded Jason Peters for Eric Wood, Shawn Nelson, and Danny Batten

Bills got hosed. Nelson- out, Batten- about to be out, Wood- 3 years, 2 major injuries. Meanwhile Peters- selected to the 2010 Pro Bowl and 2011 Pro Bowl as a starter and was a 2010 second team All-Pro selection.

Bills got hosed. Nelson- out, Batten- about to be out, Wood- 3 years, 2 major injuries. Meanwhile Peters- selected to the 2010 Pro Bowl and 2011 Pro Bowl as a starter and was a 2010 second team All-Pro selection.

And now out, career in doubt.