Fitzpatrick Under the Gun

It was always going to be a make or break for Fitz this season no matter what. Young's signing hasn't really changed anything as far as Fitz's standing with the team. Yeah turning to Young is a little more appealing than Thigpen but Fitz was always going to sink or swim this season and it really didn't matter who was the backup.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a Bills fan since I was just a child - all my life, more or less - so I'm not rooting for any Bills player to fail, and I'm not biased because of the path he's taken. In fact, I think Fred Jackson, who climbed up from even further down the ladder of obscurity, is one of the best 3 or 4 running backs in the entire NFL. When healthy I wouldn't trade Jackson for any other running back in the NFL.

I am, however, critical of Fitzpatrick. He just has been far too inconsistent for me to have any confidence in his abilities to really win us games. He could be a game manager, but he just hasn't shown he can win games - regularly. Sure, he has streaks, but it always goes both ways with him. If he can fix his accuracy, then I think he will be our guy for a few more years. If he cannot, though, I think the Bills will look to make an upgrade.

The Bills are saying what they have to say, and it is true that Fitz is their QB. Still, our H.C. and G.M. have the best interests of this organization in mind, and the contract they gave Fitz was enough to make him a mid paid QB, and secure him for a time, but it was not the kind of contract that forces them to keep him beyond this year.

So, when they're looking around for a QB who could be good enough to himself be a franchise QB, and who could take over for Fitz should he falter again, Vince Young has the highest ceiling of the QB's available. They signed him for 2 reasons: as a true backup, and with the intention of helping him improve, and also with the hopes that they can improve him so much that they'll be forced to choose between Fitz and Young. For, if Young becomes really good, while Fitz falters, and they make the switch, they'll be in position to extend Young, and have a QB to win with - and still get a young QB next year to develop.

In the end, the Young contract, being a year, is a prove it contract. Young wouldn't have been sitting at home this offseason had the Bills not signed him. He must have believed this was the best place to try to improve his career. The Bills are in win now mode - and nothing about Fitzpatrick's contract or place gives him room to play poorly and bring the team down. Young is a flyer on a QB who could have the talent to be much more than a backup. But, in the end, it is Fitz's job to lose. No matter how good Young might get this year (and I don't personally think he'll have a miraculous improvement; I do, however, think Gailey and Lee together could devise an offense in which Young could be really good) and here in Buffalo, he won't have the chance to show it unless Fitz does poorly or gets hurt.

No one on the Bills has more pressure on him than Ryan Fitzpatrick. This was the case before Vince Young and it's still the case after he's been signed.

He's the starting QB. The team has playoff expectations this year. Given his age, he's reached the "do or die" "are you or are you not a franchise QB" stage of his career.

If he can't handle the pressure, doesn't play to the lofty expectations, then Young will get his shot before they go selecting a QB in next year's 1st round.

I don't see how there can be any reasonable disagreement with this. Not by Fitzpatrick, the team, the coaches or the fans. Fitzpatrick is too old not to think 2012 is his make it or break it year.

Any other franchise, and there would be far more pressure on Nix & especially Gailey after 2 mediocre-at-best seasons. This is a unique situation here though, I don't know if Ralph makes a move if the team tanks again, I think he sticks with them to the end. So I do think Fitz has more leeway here than he would anywhere else... but if it gets exceptionally ugly AND if VY has shown anything, VY will be playing.

Any other franchise, and there would be far more pressure on Nix & especially Gailey after 2 mediocre-at-best seasons.

If you keep replacing people after two years then you're gonna keep losing when trying to rebuild a team. If the team improves each season, then you keep them.

If you keep replacing people after two years then you're gonna keep losing when trying to rebuild a team. If the team improves each season, then you keep them.

Not after the 2nd year, after the 3rd.

The Bills have said it time after time that this is Fitzpatrick's team.

And John Elway said that Tim Tebow would be starter going into Training camp this year for the Broncos.

Things change and often fast in the NFL. If Vince looks better than Fitz, you gotta go with your best players.

Any other franchise, and there would be far more pressure on Nix & especially Gailey after 2 mediocre-at-best seasons. This is a unique situation here though, I don't know if Ralph makes a move if the team tanks again, I think he sticks with them to the end. So I do think Fitz has more leeway here than he would anywhere else... but if it gets exceptionally ugly AND if VY has shown anything, VY will be playing.

Didn't Ralph say Nix is his last GM?

Just listened to Bill Simmons and Bill Barnwell's over under forecast for next season. Simmons (Pats fan) thinks the bills are gonna be a lock for the over and a good team. Barnwell on the other hand could not stop laughing at how bad Ryan Fitzpatrick is. He is definetly "under the gun" due to the fact he is an average QB at best. Grow a beard and act goofy and WNY will have your back no matter what. I am pulling for the guy, but would not be surprised if he stunk it up again. GL Fitz. Don't stink again.

I honestly do believe that Ryan Fitzpatrick is our quarterback right now. We would not have sank all that cash and a 6 year contract if we didn't think that he is more than a stopgap measure. So barring an incredible and unexpected tailspin, I highly doubt that Vince Young will beat him out for the job.

Not to say that I'm not happy that Vince Young is here. I am. Considerably. I don't think he's our starter, but I feel much better having a backup who is preferable to play over an injured and clearly suffering Fitz.

Tyler Thigpen, however, should be keeping an eye out to pack his bags.

So if the team improves, you want to get rid of Nix/Gailey and start all over again?

Right now, there's no doubt Nix has won the off-season... let's see how things look at the end of the season. In this day-and-age, three years is enough time to turn an NFL franchise around (bottom-line turnaround, not Pollyanna feel good turnaround).... not that it really matters, since (like I said) in this unique situation, I don't think Ralph will get rid of either. I do think they are poised to make a upward move this year, now let's see it happen. :thumbsup: Edited by Rico

Right now, there's no doubt Nix has won the off-season... let's see how things look at the end of the season. In this day-and-age, three years is enough time to turn an NFL franchise around (bottom-line turnaround, not Pollyanna feel good turnaround).... not that it really matters, since (like I said) in this unique situation, I don't think Ralph will get rid of either. I do think they are poised to make a upward move this year, now let's see it happen. :thumbsup:

If the team improves, do you think it is a good idea to get rid of them? What exactly is the point that you think they should be fired at the end of this season?

Vince Young is not a threat to Fitz. What has Vince Young done this decade to warrant being a threat to Fitz?

Gailey, however, might be a threat to Fitz. IMO we have, at worst, a top 5 in the NFL RB tandem. If we get down a mere 7 or 10 and Gailey starts leaning on Fitz over CJ and FJ b/c in his opinion "we needed to make up points" that will hurt Fitz far more than VY's potential will.

Chan needs to feature the strength of our team and trust in the running game even down 14. Let Fitz be the smart QB that he is without dropping back 45 times per game. Let Fitz complete safe, smart passes and let our two stud RBs do the rest.

I want Fitzy to succeed as much or more than anyone else, but it's pretty clear from this offseason that the Bills are ready to make a run. We have a lot of young talent on this team and we're going to soon be at the point where the QB will need to either poop or get off the pot. Fitzy from the 2nd half of last season won't cut it. He needs to get back to his game from the first part of '11 and lead this team to consistent points. If he doesn't do that, I don't care if it's Vince Young or the water boy, the QB spot will be up for grabs until we find someone who can get it done. It's one thing to have inconsistent play when we're rebuilding, but now that we've made steps to acquire some real talent, we can't have the QB holding this team back.