Fitzpatrick Under the Gun

So what happens if the Bills start out 0-8 and Fitz has thrown 4 tds and 15 ints?

All I'm saying is.. its not impossible that Vince gets a shot.

If that happens Gailey and Nix will be fired, so they may as well let the trick shot QB play...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the team improves, do you think it is a good idea to get rid of them? What exactly is the point that you think they should be fired at the end of this season?

Define 'improve'.

If the team improves, do you think it is a good idea to get rid of them? What exactly is the point that you think they should be fired at the end of this season?

Here you go

If Vince young is that bad.. then why did they bring him in at all? Obviously they saw something they liked.

How about adding in his 900 rushing yards and 9 rushing TDs for those two seasons as well? The man made the pro bowl for a reason.. you can't just dismiss it as unimportant. Voting breaks down like this: 1/3 players, 1/3 coaches, 1/3 fans. How is that a popularity contest?

Because he's better than Thigpen and brings competition as a backup QB? Nothing more.

Do you know how to add?

The man made the Pro Bowl because Philip Rivers hurt his foot his rookie year.

In 2006 Vince Young ranked 26th in passing yds, 32nd in completion percentage, 29th yds per game, 21st in passing TDs, 30th in passer rating, 27th yds per pass. Clearly Pro Bowl material

Edited by FleaMoulds80

Define 'improve'.

Here you go

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/improve

Oh, look at how clever I can be too!

I understand that you're having a hard time expressing yourself, but I fail to see how your link helps.

-----------------------------

If the team improves, by one win each year, every year, do you fire the people at the helm?

http://dictionary.re.../browse/improve

Oh, look at how clever I can be too!

I understand that you're having a hard time expressing yourself, but I fail to see how your link helps.

-----------------------------

If the team improves, by one win each year, every year, do you fire the people at the helm?

My time is very precious... but if you insist::D

If the bottom-line results after 3 years were 5, 6, and 7 wins, then yes, I would make changes, that is not what I would call a turn-around, that is just spinning wheels... to what degree would all depend on the state of the team at the end of this season. There would have to be some seriously extenuating circumstances for Gailey to keep his job, he would most likely be gone. Nix would have to defend 3 years of mediocrity to me & do a pretty damn good job of illustrating exactly how the 4th year would be different. Now, If they just missed the playoffs the last week of the season & looked good in doing it (ie. not a total collapse), then I may be convinced that the team has turned around & is on the verge of good things.

Do I think Ralph will make changes after a 7-win season this year? No. Do I think this is a 7-win team this season right now? No, I think they will make that playoff run..

Edited by Rico

Fitzpatrick under the gun

Mr. Sandman is now looking over Fitzpatrick's shoulder. The Bills signed former Tennessee Titans and Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Vince Young to a one-year contract earlier this month. Young is making backup money (only $350,000 of his contract is guaranteed) and the two-time Pro Bowler is saying all the right things in accepting a backup role, but Young is a 6-foot-5, 243-pound quarterback with a great arm, two Pro Bowls on his resume and more mobility than Fitzpatrick. If the Bills struggle on offense, and the heat gets turned up on Gailey, how long can he wait before making a switch?

Fitzpatrick's contract contained $24 million in guaranteed money, of which $15 million -- a $10 million signing bonus from last October and $5 million option bonus from March -- has already been paid. The $2.88 million in partially guaranteed base salary in 2012 is safe, but that's not the case for the remaining $6.2 million. Another average season while running in place in the win column could prompt the Bills to consider cutting ties with Fitzpatrick, whose cap number is set to jump from $6 million in 2012 to $10.45 million 2013. That decision would likely be made before a $3 million roster bonus comes due on the second day of the 2013 league year.

Is Vince Young really a threat to start?

I hope so, Fitz needs to have constant pressure on him. He screws the pooch too often in big time situations and is inconsistent.

The NFL.Com writer knows a story when he sees it. He sees a team that has more things going for it than at any time since the 1980s, yet is somewhat "stuck" with a mediocre QB. All he is saying is that situation cannot sustain itself IF there is a viable alternative. Well, guess what? There is, and he is the new back-up QB, Vince Young.

Fitzpatrick is under enormous pressure to improve. (not that he's worried, with that $15 million already in his bank account.)

The NFL.Com writer knows a story when he sees it. He sees a team that has more things going for it than at any time since the 1980s, yet is somewhat "stuck" with a mediocre QB. All he is saying is that situation cannot sustain itself IF there is a viable alternative. Well, guess what? There is, and he is the new back-up QB, Vince Young.

Fitzpatrick is under enormous pressure to improve. (not that he's worried, with that $15 million already in his bank account.)

I still find myself bemused at the concept that Vince Young is considered a "viable alternative" as a starting QB by anyone at this point.

Vince Young has all the talent in the world. If he's able to focus and study and learn, he may, in time, BECOME a viable alternative. I hope he does.

Football is a game of "what have you done for me lately"? It really doesn't matter if the man was a #1 draft pick, or a probowl selection 3 years ago. What has he shown lately? A mediocre completion percentage, poor discipline as a teammate in Tenn, poor record as a backup QB last year. Now there may have been extenuating circumstances. He may have grown and matured. I hope he has. If he has, maybe he can pull a Vick and improve his QB skills to match his athletic ability.

Then he will become a viable alternative. But that's then. This is now.

The only story is in the minds of generic sportswriters who are stuck on a guy's draft position and former hopes of glory, at the expense of studying the game.

I still find myself bemused at the concept that Vince Young is considered a "viable alternative" as a starting QB by anyone at this point.

Vince Young has all the talent in the world. If he's able to focus and study and learn, he may, in time, BECOME a viable alternative. I hope he does.

Football is a game of "what have you done for me lately"? It really doesn't matter if the man was a #1 draft pick, or a probowl selection 3 years ago. What has he shown lately? A mediocre completion percentage, poor discipline as a teammate in Tenn, poor record as a backup QB last year. Now there may have been extenuating circumstances. He may have grown and matured. I hope he has. If he has, maybe he can pull a Vick and improve his QB skills to match his athletic ability.

The only story is in the minds of generic sportswriters who are stuck on a guy's draft position and former hopes of glory, at the expense of studying the game.

Agreed, and if Fitz's performance at the end of the season matched his performance at the beginning of the season, I don't think too many people would doubt that he is the one. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case, not at all. His performance at the end of the season was unacceptable; and he once again still has much to prove.

Look, by viable alternative, I mean a QB who is capable of replacing a mediocre starter who - by the very fact that he is being replaced - is underperforming even by his modest standards. THAT is what Ryan Fitzpatrick has to be concerned about. Vince Young simply couldn't be much worse than an underperforming Fitzpatrick. So if Fitz buckles even the slightest, whether the team is doing poorly or doing well, there will be a big temptation to try VY. If you were Fitzpatrick, you would be feeling more than normal NFL pressure to perform, actually to improve.

1338060404[/url]' post='2475195']

Look, by viable alternative, I mean a QB who is capable of replacing a mediocre starter who - by the very fact that he is being replaced - is underperforming even by his modest standards. THAT is what Ryan Fitzpatrick has to be concerned about. Vince Young simply couldn't be much worse than an underperforming Fitzpatrick. So if Fitz buckles even the slightest, whether the team is doing poorly or doing well, there will be a big temptation to try VY. If you were Fitzpatrick, you would be feeling more than normal NFL pressure to perform, actually to improve.

Perhaps... but only by knee jerk fans and sportswriters looking to create contrroversy. A rationale knowledgeable person understands that every person, every player has good days and bad days. To pull Fitz and completely revamp the offense and team chemistry because he "buckles even the slightest" would be the assinine. Few QBs or players ever succeed when they're under that kind of pressure every week.

Perhaps... but only by knee jerk fans and sportswriters looking to create contrroversy. A rationale knowledgeable person understands that every person, every player has good days and bad days. To pull Fitz and completely revamp the offense and team chemistry because he "buckles even the slightest" would be the assinine. Few QBs or players ever succeed when they're under that kind of pressure every week.

No doubt that's been true at the beginning of every Bills QB failure in history, and those knee jerk fans and sportswriters should be taken with a grain of salt.... gotta give that QB a chance. But as things get progressively worse and it becomes obvious to 90+% of all observers that a change has to be made, there will still be those 10% (many of the 'rational knowledgeable persons") who blame everyone but the QB (see RJ, Bledsoe). They are the biggest chumps in all of Bills fandom, as there has NEVER been a QB here that the majority wanted gone who went on to bigger & better things,

As I've said before, I like Fitz, and I hope he can develop consistency & lead this team back to the playoffs... but if he can't, he's got to go. It is what it is. ;)

There is more than one angle to Vince Young being here and i find a couple of them interesting. It might be do or die here for him.

He is with one of the better Head coaches (Gailey) in the league by most standards. And a seemingly above average technical QB coach who can improve both Fitzes game and Youngs also. Just because Chan and Buddy did say Ryan is The guy doesnt mean that Ryan does not have a reason to pay attention to Youngs development. I think it will pressure him alot more than Thigpen ever did :devil:

Edited by 3rdand12

Anyone who honestly thinks Vince Young could possibly EVER be an upgrade over Fitz is an idiot.

Depends on the situation...If all our starters are healthy and we need a QB to run the offense, read defenses, call audibles, and allow our players to make plays than Fitz is the man. If our offense gets whipped out by injuries much like ours did last year and you need a guy to improvise, make athletic plays, keep drives alive, run gimmick plays than Vince is an upgrade. You entitled to your opinion and im not saying i think he should start over Fitz but its very ignorant to think that in certain situations Vince Young doesn't offer something more than Fitz can. .

If Fitz buckles "the slightest" and the team is doing well, I think the only "temptation" to try VY will exist in the minds of fans and sportswriters.

Every player has off days; the idea is to have enough of a team to carry them through it.

I think Fitz feels considerable pressure to perform and improve, but not because of VY; if Fitz leads the league in INT again next year and the team goes <=500, his "window of opportunity" to show he's an NFL starter will slam shut in his face and Nix or his successor will be drafting a replacement starter next year.

1338062873[/url]' post='2475209']

No doubt that's been true at the beginning of every Bills QB failure in history, and those knee jerk fans and sportswriters should be taken with a grain of salt.... gotta give that QB a chance. But as things get progressively worse and it becomes obvious to 90+% of all observers that a change has to be made, there will still be those 10% (many of the 'rational knowledgeable persons") who blame everyone but the QB (see RJ, Bledsoe). They are the biggest chumps in all of Bills fandom, as there has NEVER been a QB here that the majority wanted gone who went on to bigger & better things,

As I've said before, I like Fitz, and I hope he can develop consistency & lead this team back to the playoffs... but if he can't, he's got to go. It is what it is. ;)

I completely agree with you. Fitz still has a long way to go, but he's definitely shown enough to have a little leeway. IMO, he's got this season. If he improves his accuracy and, consequently, his consistency while leading this team to a winning record and possible playoff run; then he's doing what he needs to. But, if he plays like he ended last season during the course of the full seaon (not a game or 2), then he's clearly not the guy and needs to be replaced.