Has Dalton reached his maximum potential?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/21/bengals-still-have-reservations-about-andy-dalton/

Apparently some in the Bengals organization think so. I had this thought before the draft. Dalton will be a decent starter for a number of years but never elite. Think Chad Pennington

Thoughts?

He may never be an elite QB, in the class of Manning, Rodgers or Brady...but I can't help but think, after a decent rookie season, with some NFL experience under his belt, he might get a little better... of course, I am one who still thinks Ryan Fitzpatrick can, and will, get better.

The article raises some fair questions, but it's silly to assume Dalton can't continue to learn and improve. As always, the answer will be 'let's just wait and see'.

And if his ceiling is Pennington or Kosar, that's not bad company. Pennington was a pretty solid QB when he was able to stay healthy.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/14012/andy-dalton

You look at the teams he beat tho. Cleveland Twice, Indy, Jacksonville, Tenn, Zona and the Rams and us. Thats a pretty easy schedule. 5 teams that picked in the top ten this year

Lost to the steelers and ravens by a combined 114 to 64.

I think he has alot to prove still

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/14012/andy-dalton

You look at the teams he beat tho. Cleveland Twice, Indy, Jacksonville, Tenn, Zona and the Rams and us. Thats a pretty easy schedule. 5 teams that picked in the top ten this year

Lost to the steelers and ravens by a combined 114 to 64.

I think he has alot to prove still

Thanks to a ridiculous call.

He reached the playoffs as a rookie. You can claim it is because of the D and AJ all you want. But he played with in himself and the system.

unfortunately the question here becomes, can a system built around hiding his arm be successful long term. Or can he work his arm into a better weapon?

This is a joke. Just take the pictures, Greg Cossell.

The kid never going to be a top 10 draft pick. He picked up the game pretty quickly with a young crew around him. He's played one year. I didn't see the QB that his doubting and uncomfortable FO drafted as his replacement this year...

unfortunately the question here becomes, can a system built around hiding his arm be successful long term. Or can he work his arm into a better weapon?

i don't have a doubt. brady used to be noodle-armed when he screen passed us to death when he first became a starter. now he can make every throw and throw 80 yards with ease (see: Super Bowl throw to Randy Moss)

The article raises some fair questions, but it's silly to assume Dalton can't continue to learn and improve. As always, the answer will be 'let's just wait and see'.

And if his ceiling is Pennington or Kosar, that's not bad company. Pennington was a pretty solid QB when he was able to stay healthy.

I thought Bernie Kosar was awesome there, for a few years, with his side-arm delivery.

I think its hard to say that anyone has "reached their potential" after 1 year in the league. Of course he's going to get better at reading defenses and learning how to play with his teammates. I don't see any reason to believe he has already reached his ceiling.

I think its hard to say that anyone has "reached their potential" after 1 year in the league. Of course he's going to get better at reading defenses and learning how to play with his teammates. I don't see any reason to believe he has already reached his ceiling.

the other side would be, has the league caught up to the system, or does he have the ability to keep pushing his ceiling up. lots of players looked good for stretches, but without the full tool box people were able to game plan.

i think he will be good, not great. likely not good enough to get them much further than he has, but certainly good enough that he would be hard to replace. a tough spot, if accurate.