Mario Williams asks Bills to line him up at LDE

Found this tidbit, posted today, from the National Football Post:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-3275.html

*Mario Williams was a right defensive end the last time he had his hand down, but the Bills are moving him to the left side on his request. Sources tell me Williams, who played left end in college, told the Bills he is more comfortable on the left than on the right, where he played in Houston. This will enable the Bills to put their speed rushers on the right side. Mark Anderson and Shawne Merriman will compete for time at right end. Merriman, by the way, has gotten outstanding reviews in his comeback attempt from an Achilles injury, and looks like he will be able to help the Bills if he can stay healthy.

Edited by Buftex

*Mario Williams was a right defensive end the last time he had his hand down, but the Bills are moving him to the left side on his request. Sources tell me Williams, who played left end in college, told the Bills he is more comfortable on the left than on the right, where he played in Houston. This will enable the Bills to put their speed rushers on the right side. Mark Anderson and Shawne Merriman will compete for time at right end. Merriman, by the way, has gotten outstanding reviews in his comeback attempt from an Achilles injury, and looks like he will be able to help the Bills if he can stay healthy.

TROLL

How is this not obvious to everyone? I said it before, Kelsey can take Marios number but Mario will take his job. Anyone who thinks Mario was going to line up at RDE is an idiot. I'm sure it'll happen occassionally but not alot. Unless a brash of injuries hit us again and he has to line there.

If I'm falling for the joke oh well, I just drove 4 hours and I'm beat.

IIRC, that was part of the negotiations. I think this is old news.

Exactly...It's one of the first things Nix mentioned after they signed Williams...Williams wants to play LDE and feels most comfortable there... B-)

Exactly...It's one of the first things Nix mentioned after they signed Williams...Williams wants to play LDE and feels most comfortable there... B-)

You know, I just always assumed he would be LDE, but, this was the first time I saw that he had asked for the switch...their source was Don Pompei...perhaps old news, or just confirming what we all assumed? Either way, I also like to hear that Merriman's recovery is going well...of course, that is strictly a "believe it when I see it" kind of thing. He did look really good in pre-season, last year.

How is this not obvious to everyone? I said it before, Kelsey can take Marios number but Mario will take his job. Anyone who thinks Mario was going to line up at RDE is an idiot. I'm sure it'll happen occassionally but not alot. Unless a brash of injuries hit us again and he has to line there.

If I'm falling for the joke oh well, I just drove 4 hours and I'm beat.

Those brashes of injuries will do you every time.

Which brings up a point that I was afraid to ask due to ridicule: They can't possibly be thinking of putting

Kelsay at RDE. Can they?

:unsure:

Kelsay will be a depth LDE. Hopefully. I bet he does a better job too.

I recall Nix saying that they intended to put him on the left side bc he played better there so this is not a surprise.

Hope Merriman pans out but just don't think he is cut out to be a down lineman.

Which brings up a point that I was afraid to ask due to ridicule: They can't possibly be thinking of putting

Kelsay at RDE. Can they?

YEP !! :w00t:

Fine with me. That leaves Anderson, Kelsay and Merriman (all starting quality players, imo) to compete for the main chunk of time at LDE and then the two left over will be pretty decent backups/rotational players. :thumbsup:

Or am I supposed to B word about this? :wallbash:

The best thing/news here is Merriman. If he gets back close to his old self - which I know is a big "if" - wow, what a D-line!

It would be awesome to see him back to "Lights Out" form... Man, it's been a long time since I was this excited about the Bills in the off season!!

This was all known when the Bills signed Williams. He mostly played LDE in Houston and wanted to continue playing there. Mark Anderson will start at RDE. Kelsay will likely be the backup behind Williams, and Merriman the backup behind Anderson.

I said it before, Kelsey can take Marios number but Mario will take his job.

First I heard of Kelsey trying to take Mario's number .... the story I remember is that Mario wanted Kelsey's number ... just sayin'

Kelsay at RDE. Can they?

I think that's why they signed Anderson.

Why can't merriman play LB anymore ?

He never played LB in a 43 defense, the skillset isn't there. He's a pass rusher.