Mario Williams asks Bills to line him up at LDE

The best thing/news here is Merriman. If he gets back close to his old self - which I know is a big "if" - wow, what a D-line!

The thing that is great about our situation right now is, we have three solid to great DEs *without* Merriman. So we can afford to bring him back up to speed at a slower pace and/or play him in limited downs. Kelsay and Williams are obviously players who can play every down, and Anderson probably can as well. It's a great thing to have depth at the position for once.

The best thing/news here is Merriman. If he gets back close to his old self - which I know is a big "if" - wow, what a D-line!

To be honest with you, if Merriman finishes the season and does so with 7+ sacks I would be thrilled.

Additionally, I think 40 sacks is a reasonable goal for this team in 2012.

Yeah, the part about Mario playing LDE is old news. But imagine it. Right handed QBs will have Mario in their face coming after them. He might get less sacks at LDE but he might be more disruptive.

I thought I ready somewhere that Kelsay could rotate with Anderson at RDE, depending on Merriman's recovery. It's good, though, to read that Merriman is looking so good. Weird that DE seems to have been transformed from a weakness into a strength in just one year.

To be honest with you, if Merriman finishes the season and does so with 7+ sacks I would be thrilled.

Additionally, I think 40 sacks is a reasonable goal for this team in 2012.

Honestly, I think we can count on an average of three per game...

I'd like to see the best 7 out there for the front 7.

Mario Williams, Dareus, K Williams, Anderson on the line

& then the LBs- Barnett, Searcy & Merriman

This line up with our talented secondary would score us points!

Not sure how that would be our best front 7. Merriman isn't really a 4-3 LB, Searcy isn't even a LB at all, and you don't have Sheppard out there.

I do not mind him playing LDE. The whole blindside thing is a little cliche at this point. Plus the Billshave another good rushing RDE in Anderson. I expect Kelsay to play RDE on first downs and running downs, and Anderson to be in on second and third downs and obvious passin situations. It has been mentioned that when Anderson is used more in a pass rushing role he has excelled in sacks.

I would also expect maybe for the Bills to steal a page out of the Giants playbook. Have a Dline that consists of 4 DE one 'Nose' then one MLB and 5 DBs. This would allow for you to get your best rushers on the field and still protect the run.

Exactly...It's one of the first things Nix mentioned after they signed Williams...Williams wants to play LDE and feels most comfortable there... B-)

Exactly. Put the guy where he is most effective and feels the most comfortable. Besides...I want Brady seeing the train about to crush his ass :-)

Exactly. Put the guy where he is most effective and feels the most comfortable. Besides...I want Brady seeing the train about to crush his ass :-)

I forsee Williams and Anderson coming around the edges and Brady stepping up right into Dareus busting up the middle through a double team. After the game Giesele (excuse my spelling) will say 'my husband cannot throw the football and f'ing block all those pass rushers'.

First I heard of Kelsey trying to take Mario's number .... the story I remember is that Mario wanted Kelsey's number ... just sayin'

Sorry, you've got it wrong....the story is that Kelsay wanted to keep his number (#90), and he & Mario came to a gentleman's agreement that Mario would not get #90. Mario never publicly stated he wanted to pursue #90.

Other than Mario Williams at LDE this is an interesting scenario to be played out. Kelsay has good size and experience and is a LDE, Mark Anderson is a RDE; but, in my opinion a bit undersized. Merriman has all the tools to be a RDE; but, had been a 3-4 OLB. So what I see is inexperience at RDE that will be won in the form of competing which is good for the team. While I have never been a huge fan I see Kelsay as having the upper edge. He has the size, strength, and knowldege to succeed. Anderson will be there in a nickel or dime. I think Marriman can beat out Kelsay; but, time and health are the determining factors.

Edited by SWVABillsFan

Sorry, you've got it wrong....the story is that Kelsay wanted to keep his number (#90), and he & Mario came to a gentleman's agreement that Mario would not get #90. Mario never publicly stated he wanted to pursue #90.

The point I was trying to make was that contrary to the OP ... #90 for the Bills was never Mario's ... it belonged to Kelsay, so therefore Kelsay was not "taking" Mario's number, and any talk of #90 switching hands (or uniforms) was the reverse of that.