When's the last time #1 Pick was NOT last rookie signed?

Correct me if I'm wrong, fellas.. but I believe he's talking about the BILLS #1 pick.. as in, Gilmore is signed before Glenn and Graham..

That's exactly what I meant.

I think it's pretty common for the #1 pick to sign early since they can start negotiating before the draft, but I've got no cold hard facts for you.

That's changed now however because the rookie scale was not set until after the draft. So they could start negotiating with Luck the same time as everyone else.

It was last year. Sheppard was the last to sign.

Thanks. Pardon my bad memory.

With the new rookie cap there shouldn't be holdouts anymore, but I still expected #1's to sign last. Maybe that will be different too because whatever you use to sign one draft choice comes out of the pot for everyone else and a team won't want to be left short negotiating with a higher pick.

I dunno . . . just making it up, but still really pleased with how well this offseason is going.

It was last year. Sheppard was the last to sign.

And he was the 3rd round pick too, right?

Makes me think this is more about the format Chixley chooses to use, than the player himself.

Looks like:

1. Get all day 3 drafted guys signed first and quickly.

2. Focus on day 1 guy

3. Then do day 2, 2nd round, and then 3rd round

Must be some method to this. Perhaps they are looking to delay the 2nd and 3rd rounders until other teams offers in place? I don't know why....but it would be interesting to find out.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Tom Cousineau maybe?

PTR

How do you figure? He never did sign (with the Bills), so how could he count as signed before the other draft choices his original year? That's what my original bad-memory question (since it was just lat year) was about: at least it used to be that the Bills signed their #1 pick last.

I think the poster who said the OBD MO is to lock up the lesser guys (Rounds 4-7) first, then the top guys in order, may be on to something.