Nix or Polian ?

I was somewhat surprised to see this article by Roth asking if Polian is the next Bills GM:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20120516/SPORTS0103/305160020/twobillsdrive?nclick_check=1

I thought a bit about this point. Polian arguably built a very good Bills team (there is a different thread about his player moves) and drafted Peyton Manning. In effect built two successful franchises. I have gone on record before and said that he underperformed in Indy where he put too many eggs in the Peyton basket and neglected building a team.

COntrast that with how Nix has gone about stocking the roster here and I see a good foundation which can lead to long term success.

The big caveat ofcourse is that Polian has results to show and Nix has yet to show us the baby (I am not counting Nix's earlier tenures as he was not fully in charge).

Balancing both the above points, I am leaning towards keeping Nix and have Whaley as his successor. I think their attitude, player choices and resolve in sticking with the plan is commendable and will lead to successful seasons for a long time.

What do you guys think ?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nix and Whaley.

I don't understand why Roth would even suggest this. Stupid IMO considering it's pretty clear there's a plan in place for Whaley to take over. Not to mention Nix has done a pretty good job.

Does Nix get the benefit of a #1 overall pick with one of the best QB prospects ever coming out? Because that helps the process along. Polian is a very good GM but he is also a fortunate one. He had Kelly on the roster already & got a #1 overall pick in Bruce Smith. He drafted Kerry Collins with a #4 overall pick. Then, he got Manning with a #1 overall pick.

As much as people want to make out the draft like it is rocket science, it isn't. It's al ot of luck. And once you get the QB, everyone else falls into place. If the Bills lose one more game and get to pick Big Ben instead of settling for Losman, TD is being praised on this board. If Luck is as good as people think he is, then whoever the Colts' new GM is is thought of as a genius.

I get people are mixed on Fitz. But it seems like Nix is building a quality team around him. If Fitz fails, a new QB will step into a much better situation than any Bills' QB in a long time.

I am very happy with Nix as our GM. He's doing a solid job. He is building this thing the right way I believe. A way that will keep us competitve for multiple seasons. And besides, I love his accent and the things that come out of his mouth. No way would we have all the awesome qoutes from Polian as with Buddy. But if Buddy retired, and Whaley wasn't ready, I'd welcome Polian back with open arms.

I was somewhat surprised to see this article by Roth asking if Polian is the next Bills GM:

http://www.democrata...?nclick_check=1

I thought a bit about this point. Polian arguably built a very good Bills team (there is a different thread about his player moves) and drafted Peyton Manning. In effect built two successful franchises. I have gone on record before and said that he underperformed in Indy where he put too many eggs in the Peyton basket and neglected building a team.

COntrast that with how Nix has gone about stocking the roster here and I see a good foundation which can lead to long term success.

The big caveat ofcourse is that Polian has results to show and Nix has yet to show us the baby (I am not counting Nix's earlier tenures as he was not fully in charge).

Balancing both the above points, I am leaning towards keeping Nix and have Whaley as his successor. I think their attitude, player choices and resolve in sticking with the plan is commendable and will lead to successful seasons for a long time.

What do you guys think ?

This article is silly. Well, if the goal is "something to write about after the draft and before camp"...then it's a decent idea.

The Polian era is over. Nix and crew are doing a great job trying to build something great. Let them finish.

:thumbsup:

Two things strike me about this thread:

1- It is cool that people are so excited about the Bills right now (I am one of them), but lets see what happens on the field, before we "crown their ass". Comparing Nix and Polian at this point in their careers is crazy...

2- The Leo Roth era is definitely over!

1- It is cool that people are so excited about the Bills right now (I am one of them), but lets see what happens on the field, before we "crown their ass". Comparing Nix and Polian at this point in their careers is crazy...

I agree but for the all the great things Polian did, he did build a team that went 2-14 without one player. That's pretty bad. IF the Bills tank it this year and luck out with Matt Barkley, does that suddenly make the GM who picks him a great GM? Franchise QBs makes great GMs and coaches. This is what makes Gailey such a good offensive coach. He does more with less at the QB position than jsut about anyone. I'd love for him to get to coach 1st round talent someday.

I agree. We need to see some results at some point. I,like you, am excited about the direction these guys are headed. Whether things pan out remains to be seen, but certainly hiring Polian at this point would be silly.

I agree but for the all the great things Polian did, he did build a team that went 2-14 without one player. That's pretty bad. IF the Bills tank it this year and luck out with Matt Barkley, does that suddenly make the GM who picks him a great GM? Franchise QBs makes great GMs and coaches. This is what makes Gailey such a good offensive coach. He does more with less at the QB position than jsut about anyone. I'd love for him to get to coach 1st round talent someday.

Isn't that what Vince Young is? B-)

Polian seems like he does good turning a team around (aka, getting some first overall great QB's) but can't sustain for very long. Once Kelly was gone, the Bills were essentially done for the rest of his tenure. In Indy, no Peyton=no team last year. Hopefully Nix can put down a good foundation for a decent amount of time (nothing lasts forever)

we're committed to Nix for now. He had better show us something on the win-loss scheme of things or he and Chan will both be gone. I'm pretty hopeful that they will have a good year. Last year we were snake bit with injuries and we have had a few Nix/Gailey drafts under our belt and some very interesting personnel moves. Hopefully next year we won't even be discussing the possibility of replacing them.

I am very happy with Nix as our GM. He's doing a solid job. He is building this thing the right way I believe. A way that will keep us competitve for multiple seasons. And besides, I love his accent and the things that come out of his mouth. No way would we have all the awesome qoutes from Polian as with Buddy. But if Buddy retired, and Whaley wasn't ready, I'd welcome Polian back with open arms.

Another thing to put along with this post is , with Nix & Gailey both you know what you are getting there's no guessing if you don't want to know don't ask seems to be the mentality with these guy ..

And they are both very smart no matter what people think of southerner's these guys know football & that's what counts !!

GO BILLS !!!