Seeing is bill-ieving - reality check

Never understood posts like this, and never will.

I don't either. Why not just go with it. I would not enjoy being a fan if I had that type of attitude. There is some truth to the OP's content, but as a fan, there is nothing wrong with being hopeful. 1 Collin Cowherd in this world is enough.

The Bills have addressed a lot of issues and had a great offseason. There is reason to celebrate. If you can't be happy about this offseason, I'm not sure you can be happy about anything the Bills do. Just enjoy it.

The OP acts like the last 12 years just happened because it's the Bills, as if decisions and outcomes are based on bad karma. Look at any year honestly and you can see a combination of good and bad moves that resulted in our playoff drought.

People are optimistic now because anyone with a sense for the game can see the logic of the moves by Buddy Nix. Now there are still intangibles that can affect our season that no one can control: injuries, bad refs calls, etc. But of the things we can control there is a sense of competency we have not had in a while.

PTR

Also, there is a great vibe coming out of the locker room. The players feel like they are on to something special. Team chemistry is a very important part of winning. Call me optimistic, naive,whatever...but something feels different this year. I believe the Bills are building a playoff caliber team.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd ask the OP to name another Bills offseason in which more quality moves were made in terms of resigning core players, inking top-shelf key free agents, and selecting draftees with highly productive college careers.

Why is it better for Bills fans to be skeptical at this point?

If one of the Buffalo teams (Bills or Sabres) win a championship, somebody will still have something negative to say, and call it a "Reality Check". Just do the rest of us a favor, go down to your local grocery store, buy a box of straws, take a straw and...SUCK IT UP!!!!

It's not like the Bills failed to resign a key player this year like they have in years past (Pat Williams for example), or drafted the wrong player this year (Whitner over Ngata).

After reading through several posts, I can see the annual offseason optimism is in full force. I think as fans of our team, it's great to be enthusiastic, but the love-fest for Buddy & Co is reminiscent of the unearned praise given to Sabres owner Terrance Pegula upon his arrival and following the personnel moves made by the Sabres front office.

Sabers fans were already planning the Stanley Cup parade through Lafayette Square. Unfortunately for the team and fans, you have to make the playoffs to have a chance of winning the cup.

Again, as is the yearly tradition, Bills fans are ever hopeful and some actually believing the Bills will be a team to be reckoned with in 2012. Maybe they will be, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Bills fans are the Charlie Browns of NFL fans. We keep attempting to kick the football held by Lucy, believing "this time I'll really kick it".

I'm always hearing the words "on paper". The proof is in the pudding. Unless a couple players really step up or there are some surprise breakout players or free agents, the Bills still have weaknesses that teams contending for the Lombardi trophy don't usually have.

Wideouts - still need a complimentary receiver for S Johnson.

Linebacking is average at best

Corners - plenty of potential, but still green

O-Line - LT spot still not settled. Don't expect Glenn to step in and be anything more than average as a rookie

QB - Fitz is smart and a team leader. He's still a journeyman QB. When I see one complete season of top tier QB play out of him, I'll be totally on board with him. For now, he's Frank Reich 2.0. - serviceable and able to win some games. Where's our Jim Kelly?

If the Bills can stay healthy - and that's a big if - they are probably an 8-10 win team. Does anyone really believe the Bills are capable of winning 12 games or more? The real question to be answered is can they finish strong? (as the Giants did in 2011).

"On paper" Nix has done a good job, but to quote the man himself, "show me the baby". I'll reserve my valentine's wishes to Buddy when I'm still watching live Bills games well into January.

To every corn flake pisser that comes in and does this I ask the same question.

"What is the single biggest problem with this bills team over recent years"

PASS RUSH

then

WHAT HAVE WE DONE TO FIX THAT

- We went out and got the single best DE that we have had on our team since probably Bruce Smith (and I was a big time Aaron Schrobel fan)

- Then we backed that up with bringing in a 10 sack DE for the other side

- This is to add to the returning Pro Bowler Kyle Williams and Blue Chip monster Marcel Darius

- But see.....the bills didn't stop there. They didnt get greedy with their dollars....they KEPT the guys that started for us last year instead of jettisoning them.....giving us DEPTH

Now.....lets examine how the additions to to this position piss all over YOUR opinions

- A dominant pass rush makes average linebackers better

- A dominant pass rush covers up the green in your corners......

TAKE THAT PENBRIDGE SCHOLARS!

PASS RUSH

then

- We went out and got the single best DE that we have had on our team since probably Bruce Smith (and I was a big time Aaron Schrobel fan)

- This is to add to the returning Pro Bowler Kyle Williams and Blue Chip monster Marcel Darius

- But see.....the bills didn't stop there. They didnt get greedy with their dollars....they KEPT the guys that started for us last year instead of jettisoning them.....giving us DEPTH

Now.....lets examine how the additions to to this position piss all over YOUR opinions

Great post!! Some people underestimate the power of a great pass rush. Sanchez & Matt Moore looked like Peyton Manning & John Elway against the Bills last year, because they had all day long in the pocket. That's not gonna happen this year. When the Bills were healthy last year, they beat the Pats for the 1st time in 8 years.

After reading through several posts, I can see the annual offseason optimism is in full force. I think as fans of our team, it's great to be enthusiastic, but the love-fest for Buddy & Co is reminiscent of the unearned praise given to Sabres owner Terrance Pegula upon his arrival and following the personnel moves made by the Sabres front office.

Sabers fans were already planning the Stanley Cup parade through Lafayette Square. Unfortunately for the team and fans, you have to make the playoffs to have a chance of winning the cup.

Again, as is the yearly tradition, Bills fans are ever hopeful and some actually believing the Bills will be a team to be reckoned with in 2012. Maybe they will be, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Bills fans are the Charlie Browns of NFL fans. We keep attempting to kick the football held by Lucy, believing "this time I'll really kick it".

I'm always hearing the words "on paper". The proof is in the pudding. Unless a couple players really step up or there are some surprise breakout players or free agents, the Bills still have weaknesses that teams contending for the Lombardi trophy don't usually have.

O-Line - LT spot still not settled. Don't expect Glenn to step in and be anything more than average as a rookie

QB - Fitz is smart and a team leader. He's still a journeyman QB. When I see one complete season of top tier QB play out of him, I'll be totally on board with him. For now, he's Frank Reich 2.0. - serviceable and able to win some games. Where's our Jim Kelly?

If the Bills can stay healthy - and that's a big if - they are probably an 8-10 win team. Does anyone really believe the Bills are capable of winning 12 games or more? The real question to be answered is can they finish strong? (as the Giants did in 2011).

"On paper" Nix has done a good job, but to quote the man himself, "show me the baby". I'll reserve my valentine's wishes to Buddy when I'm still watching live Bills games well into January.

You make some valid points here. Buddy, Chan, and Fitzpatrick, all have a lot to prove IMO. They'll recieve my praise if, and when they get the job done. By "job" I mean ten wins minimum. -THIS SEASON. Anything less than eight wins should merit the firing of at least two out of those three guys.

Honestly though, I think Pegula is a good owner. If he ran the show at OBD, I think we might have had a legitimate OC, and a starting QB that was worth a dam.

The Bills are VASTLY Improved, and in any other AFC Conference they probably be favored to win the division after their off-season and probably be talked about as a SB contender. But you are in the AFC East home of the last standing juggernaut of the AFC. (The 3 juggurnauts of the AFC the last decade been Pats,Steelers,Colts)

OP makes two distinct points. First, the Bills have either failed to address certain issues or the fixes employed are young, unproven players. Second, that the Bills new roster has not played a down and is unproven.

On the first point, all NFL teams have weaknesses in the salary cap era. Patriots had one of the league's worst defenses with bad pass coverage. What about the Giants rushing attack? Deficiencies and youth in the secondary were covered up by one of the league's best pass rushes. If the point was that Fitzpatrick isn't a franchise QB, well, I think that's been discussed sufficiently.

On the second point, that's the purpose of TSW. We prognosticate, guess, and dream. To take your argument to the absurd: We can never consider a team better than its prior year's performance. So, shall we just proclaim the Giants Super Bowl champs again and skip the season? These off-season moves, including the rookies, will have a significant effect on the Bills comparative competitiveness with other NFL teams. It's fun discussing what we think that effect is. Enjoy the process.

Sabres and Bills are in no way logically related - specifically, what does what the Sabres do as a hockey team mean to an NFL fan?

I guess you are operating from the assumption that we are all local Buffalo fans who root for both teams??

I don't give a damn about hockey, and haven't lived in WNY in years. I am optimistic about the Bills because of what they showed last season when they were healthy, and because of what they've added this offseason.

Someone else's feelings about the Sabres could not be more irrelevant.

As for your own assessment - saying the Bills if healthy are an 8-win team is completely illogical. What record do you imagine they would have had last year if they had stayed mostly healthy?? They won 6 games devastated by what the Sporting News rated as the worst injury situation in the league. 8 wins last year (if reasonably healthy) seems probable at worst.

And last year they had among the toughest schedules in the league - rated both before and after the sesaon.

Going into this year the AFC East has the easiest mathcups in the league - against the AFC South and NFC West. The Bills specifically are tied with the Pats* for the fewest games against last year's playoff teams, and close to them for lowest winning % of opponents - I would bet if we subtracted the Pats*-Bills games against each other, the Bills would have the easiest schedule in the league.

All that - and oh, by the way, they addressed their major glaring weakness by signing some guy named Mario Williams (and Mark Anderson).

The idea that anything less than a 4-game improvement to 10-6 wouldn't be a total disappointment seems illogical to me.

I think the optimism is well-founded. The Bills were playing good last year before injuries decimated the roster. Couple that with an upgraded defense, DC, a solid draft, and a more fovorable schedule on paper and I don't see how anyone wouldn't be just a little bit reassured that the Bills are on the right track.

OP makes two distinct points. First, the Bills have either failed to address certain issues or the fixes employed are young, unproven players. Second, that the Bills new roster has not played a down and is unproven.

On the first point, all NFL teams have weaknesses in the salary cap era. Patriots had one of the league's worst defenses with bad pass coverage. What about the Giants rushing attack? Deficiencies and youth in the secondary were covered up by one of the league's best pass rushes. If the point was that Fitzpatrick isn't a franchise QB, well, I think that's been discussed sufficiently.

On the second point, that's the purpose of TSW. We prognosticate, guess, and dream. To take your argument to the absurd: We can never consider a team better than its prior year's performance. So, shall we just proclaim the Giants Super Bowl champs again and skip the season? These off-season moves, including the rookies, will have a significant effect on the Bills comparative competitiveness with other NFL teams. It's fun discussing what we think that effect is. Enjoy the process.

You cannot address every position on a team with proven players no matter how active you are.....

- Franchise QB's are few and far between.....there were TWO possibles available this year and we had no shot at them.....they did bring in a former starter and high round pick in V. Young and kicked the tires......they are TRYING to improve the position. Fitz is about as good as we are going to get for now.

- For those bitching about WR's......They did bring in a WR right at the start of free agency....they tried....he wanted stupid money and the bills decided to spend that in areas that were actually worth it....Meachum may well be a product of the system he was in and was not a bonofide stud....he was a speed flanker. In the draft there was not one that presented themselves that they felt were worth it....so they instead chose to go with draft picks that would make a difference...

And maybe...just MAYBE....they felt that Easley was a better option then any of these guys.....people forget that the bills have said that he could have come back and played LAST YEAR.....but they just wanted to be sure and IR'd him.....he was one of the WR's that came out and caught for V. Young on his trip to town.....and looks ready.

You cannot be all pro at every position......last year this team wasn't all pro at ANY position...this year they look to be set in several areas.

Nix has done everything he POSSIBLY can to fill holes. We couldn't expect him to fill them all. Now it's Gailey's turn to do his job as head coach and turn that talent into a winning team. At this point, if we still can't win games, it's on Gailey, not Nix.

Nix has done everything he POSSIBLY can to fill holes. We couldn't expect him to fill them all. Now it's Gailey's turn to do his job as head coach and turn that talent into a winning team. At this point, if we still can't win games, it's on Gailey, not Nix.

Not sure I completely agree with you here. In my opinion Nix did a great job this off season both in free agency and the draft. But his previous two attempts, not so much.

The offense going into this season is not that much different than last season. While some think it was just injuries that made the offense fall off a cliff the last half of the season and the offense is fine. I think it was defenses figuring out Gaileys 5-wide thing and the fact that the defense, sucky as they were, got an extraordinary amount of turnovers during the first part of the season which is not a sustainable way to win over the course of a season.

I expect the defense to be greatly improved this coming season, but unless Gailey has some magic up his sleeve I don't expect the offense to be anything but average. If Nix can hit another home run next off season and retool the offense, and Gailey can manage to not force feed his 5-wide system all the time, 2013 could be a Bills season all of us fans have been waiting for a long time.

Edited by CodeMonkey

That's an excellent and very objective assessment.

After reading through several posts, I can see the annual offseason optimism is in full force.

One person quickly comes to mind, P.T. Barnum.

I would digress with you on the notion that Nix has done a good job. He's done a no-brainer job. Dareus last year was an extreme no-brainer pick. The entire league was after Mario and the only reason why we got him is because we sold the farm to get him here.

Anderson is good, but he's more role player than 3-down starter. He is also very overcompensated considering. So really, the big change from last season to this one is Mario so far. Who's expecting anything else major? There's nothing left.

One great DE doesn't make a team contend, just ask the Vikes.

Everyone's going to jump down your throat here, but you're absolutely correct, and yes, the team owes us long-time fans a playoff season in their perennial boy-who-cried-wolf charade promising us playoffs and a competitive team.

To add to your post, what happens if Johnson goes down? Or Jackson? Spiller still hasn't proven a thing much less that he's a 3-down back.

Fitzpatrick was the least sacked QB in the league, but then led the league in INTs. How do your detractors reconcile that?

Also, he's only been successful to above average standards for a QB in the early part of the last two seasons, both times having a new system as an "element of surprise." Once teams figured out the Bills' offensive system, he's been mediocre at best. He enters this season in the same system as last season and with only one notable WR. I would expect steady-state performance as a continuation of last season, not another 10 TDs in three or four games start to skew his season stats.

After Williams, basically a red-shirt rookie, and Gilmore, a true rookie, we have absolutely no depth even worth mentioning at CB. What if one of them goes down? It was dumb to cut Florence, yet so many think that Nix is good. Stupid move.

Anyway, the measure of a good GM is what he does after the no-brainer stuff is set aside, and I see very little that he's done after Mario and Dareus. In fact, take them off the roster and what do we have? IMO we have a 4 or 5 win team.

Anyway, good post, don't be discouraged by the detractors that will likely be calling for everyone's head in November.

Pegula is doing everything he can to win The Cup. The Bills are making big moves to be a contender. As a fan you can't ask for more than that and that is reason to be optimistic. This time maybe Charlie Brown is gonna say heck with the football and boot Lucy through the uprights!

The Bills have made one "big move," signing Mario, and they mortgaged the farm to land him. Don't think that moves like that are going to happen every year, you don't win championships by signing two or three big FAs, you still win them by building a solid all-around team via the draft and free agency combined.

Fans are overrating the value of Mario. Look at Minnesota, they had Allen who was a madman last year, but they only won 3 games in a division that's very similar to ours.

All good points. With free agency, there are few teams that don't have areas of weakness. And a team with a lot of heart and competitive spirit can win games that they might not have with less enthusiastic players. I think the Bills players have the right attitude.

The point of my post wasn't to rain on anyone's parade. I was simply struck by the degree of praise given Buddy Nix, even though the team has yest to prove anything on the field.

Every year we Bills fans get giddy with all the new acquisitions and hype that comes out of One Bills Drive. In spite of the unbridled optimism that precedes every opening day kickoff, we've been relegated to also-rans status as every other team made a playoff run over these last 11 years.

Same thing every year.... "wait'll next year".

So, what makes this year any different?

I think the Bills are making some good moves, with the signing of Williams & Anderson, and are actually retaining their own free agents.

Be optimistic! it's our team and I hope for some exciting football from them with playoffs in the picture. But until they actually show they're consistently competitive against the best teams, I'll reserve my unwavering praise of Nix and the rest of the crew at OBD.

For years, many of you have cited Ralph C Wilson and his henchmen as being the obstacle(s) that keep the Bills from succeeding.

Guess what? They're all still there.

Another case-in-point on this, who is the Bills' nickel CB right now? Does anyone here even know? And what of that player? McGee's washed up and hasn't made it through a season in years, wouldn't be surprised if he's cut, but he cannot be relied on for this. So who then? (asking generally speaking)

I don't either. Why not just go with it. I would not enjoy being a fan if I had that type of attitude.

I'll help ya out, being a fan is discussing any and all aspects of the team and its play, not just the rah-rah good ones.

Contrarily, one could say that they don't understand posts such as yours which seem to indicate an apathy towards competence on the football field much less winning, ... no?

Edited by TaskersGhost

PASS RUSH

then

Seems to me that our biggest problem defensively in the past few seasons has been the inability to stop the running game of our opponents, usually featuring RBs not even in the top 10 in the NFL.

2011: 28th yardage, 27th YPA

2010: DFL in both yardage and YPA

2009: 30th in yardage, 31st in YPA

The latter two on Nix's watch.

Teams run first if they can. They may not succeed up the middle this season, but the past few years they've had a heyday on the outsides and there's not a lot of reason to expect that to change this year.

The pass rush has been weak, but not as bad as the run D which over the past three seasons has been the worst in the league.

I am always perplexed to read such negative vibes from erstaz Bills fans before even the the first rookie mini-camp - particularly after an off-season like this one, where the Bills seemed to make all the right personnel changes, free agency acquisitions, and had a GREAT draft as well. It must really suck to wake up in the morning and face the day with nothing but despair, and I can only hope that those of such ilk are in a very isolated environment - with no one else one in close proximity whose outlook could be infected by such pessimism.

Other than that, I have only this to add to the discussion...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

"I expect to be undefeated...I expect to win every game." - Chan Gailey

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :beer:

Not sure I completely agree with you here. In my opinion Nix did a great job this off season both in free agency and the draft. But his previous two attempts, not so much.

The offense going into this season is not that much different than last season. While some think it was just injuries that made the offense fall off a cliff the last half of the season and the offense is fine. I think it was defenses figuring out Gaileys 5-wide thing and the fact that the defense, sucky as they were, got an extraordinary amount of turnovers during the first part of the season which is not a sustainable way to win over the course of a season.

I expect the defense to be greatly improved this coming season, but unless Gailey has some magic up his sleeve I don't expect the offense to be anything but average. If Nix can hit another home run next off season and retool the offense, and Gailey can manage to not force feed his 5-wide system all the time, 2013 could be a Bills season all of us fans have been waiting for a long time.

I see your point but I actually liked some of the things he did last off-season like signing Barnett, drafting Dareus and Williams. Could he have done a little more to sure up the offense, like sign a more competent backup QB or another capable WR on the other side of Stevie, maybe. As for this season, I like that we drafted Glenn and I believe he'll be a difference maker on the o-line.