My 5 All Time Favorite Bills

I've always had a soft spot for Terrence McGee actually. I remember hoping we would draft him, and then rooting for him to make it and succeed, which he did. I also like that he's such a regular guy. i read an article where he basically said that he doesn't go out clubbing or play videogames all day and night like a lot of the other players; he liked to read and watch TV, and I think drive a Hyundai.

He was one heck of a kick returner too. Solid player all-around.

Least favorite:

Russell Copeland- than may was U-G-L-Y

Erroll Tucker- early part of the bickering Bills. Got into fight with teammates after playoff loss to Browns

JD Williams- sucked as player. Always see superbowl lowlight of him getting torched for TD while Bruce Smith sighs with hands on hips

JP Losman- full of crap. Never bought into his act

John Parella- wimped out and quit team, found some success with Chargers

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Five favorites

1 Cornelius Bennett

2 Jeff Nixon (first Bill I ever met in person, super personality, didn't talk down to me as a kid, asked me questions about pee-wee football even and the reason I picked uniform # 38 whenever possible)

3 Shane Conlan

4 Mark Maddox (obscure, but a really nice guy I got to talk to while I was shooting photos on the sideline during a preseason game)

5 Takeo Spikes

Honorable mention Greg Cater (I interviewed him for a school project and he was really cool guy and actually kept in touch for a couple years afterwards)

Least

1 Chris Watson

2 Kurt Shultz

3 Ronnie Harmon

4 Kendrick Office

5 Eric Flowers

Well..I guess I have to add 2 favorite bills, Elbert Dubenion gave my brother and me a ride out to the lake when we were hitchhiking once. Nice guy and had a neat convertible. And either Jacobs or Tracey (linebackers for the bills along with Stratton) helped me change a tire once when I was leaving my job at the Courier Express at 2 or 3 in the morning. Never had a Bill be rude to me so I guess I don't have any personal least favorite.

Honorable mention Greg Cater (I interviewed him for a school project and he was really cool guy and actually kept in touch for a couple years afterwards)

Least

2 Kurt Shultz

4 Kendrick Office

And then you finally gave Cater the boot?

I met Kurt Schulz once. I was working at Hodge Liquors (along with a few others, the oldest liquor store in the US as it opened the day after Prohibition was repealed) and Schulz came in with his girlfriend (wife-to-be). I guess he used to hang in the Elmwood Village a bit. Anyways he's from the state of Washington and asked me what Washington State wines we carried. We got to talking a bit and he seemed like a pretty cool guy.

As for Kendrick Office, that seems a bit arbitrary. There's been thousands of mediocre, nondescript guys who've played for the Bills.

Any reason for your dislike?

I saw Cookie play and he was the greatest running back I've ever seen. Few remember that he was perhaps the best pass blocking back in the game in addition to being one magnificent runner. I didn't put him on my list because of attitude and his being traded before the second championship (for Billy Joe?).

Others from that team are the defensive line (Day, Sestak, Dunaway and McDole) the linebackers (Jacobs, Tracey and Stratton) and Butch Byrd and George Saimes on Defense, and Warlick, Dubenion, Bass, and Gilchrist and Wray Carlton...Not to mention the greatest field goal kicker we ever had---Pete Gogolak. Actually the punter, Paul McGuire, wsn't bad at all and he always insisted he could actually be used as a linebacker as well. Credit to Saban for never actually trying that out.

Funny you should mention Wray Carlton. He was just inducted into the North Carolina Sports Hall of Fame. Linky

Kemp

OJ

Bruce

Cornelius Bennett

Elbert Dubenion

[/quote/]

I'm surprised at how many lists in this thread DO NOT include Jim Kelly. Why is he not a favorite for some of you? I thought he would be on just about everyone's list.

Players come and go and though I see a lot of great names in this thread, my favorite Bill, hands down, is Mr Ralph Wilson!!!!

The rest of my votes go to the fans....

Without Mr Wilson, we wouldn't even have a thread wondering who the favorite is...

This is a list of all-time favorites, not necessarily 5 Best Bills...if it were, pretty sure almost every list would look this, give or take a ranking or two:

1- OJ Simpson -his post-career life has ruined his reputation, but, undoubtedly, one of the very greatest running backs in the history of the NFL

2- Bruce Smith - All time leading NFL sack getter, one of the most dominant defensive players in the history of the league

3- Jim Kelly -a first ballot HOF QB, seemingly underappreciatd by some Bills fans, arguably the most important player in team history

4- Thurman Thomas -the guy who the Bills offense revolved around, in their most productive, and successful period- HOF

5- Cookie Gilchrist or Andre Reed

-Reed is the leading WR in franchise history, always overshadowed. but undeniably extremely gifted and productive player.

-Personally I am too young to remember Gilchrist, but, by most accounts, he was a truly dominating, physical running back, during his

time. Of course, with his off field, and sideline antics, I suspect, had he played later for the Bills, and was just as dominant,

he would wind up on just as many "least favorite" lists, as "favorites"

There wouldn't be much room for discussion...what fun would that be? To me, the interesting thing is how many guys that are "favorites" land on so many "least favorites" in this thread... guys like Doug Flutie, Bruce Smith and Fred Smerlas, undeniably good, if not great, players, even after all theses years, are points of contention for Bills fans.

Love the topic...

1. Bruce Smith...game changer...nothing like hearing the crowd chant BRUUUCEE!!

2. Thurman Thomas..could do it all

3. Henry Jones...had the privlege of meeting him multiple times and could not have been nicer or more accommodating.

4. Daryl Talley...as a kid you could not help but love a tackling machine that had spiderwebs!

5. Stevie Johnson...saw him at training camp his rookie year and could not understand why he was in the 7th round and James Hardy was in the 2nd. Watching them side by side hurt my brain. Loved him ever since and can't believe he has become as exciting as he has!

And then you finally gave Cater the boot?

I met Kurt Schulz once. I was working at Hodge Liquors (along with a few others, the oldest liquor store in the US as it opened the day after Prohibition was repealed) and Schulz came in with his girlfriend (wife-to-be). I guess he used to hang in the Elmwood Village a bit. Anyways he's from the state of Washington and asked me what Washington State wines we carried. We got to talking a bit and he seemed like a pretty cool guy.

As for Kendrick Office, that seems a bit arbitrary. There's been thousands of mediocre, nondescript guys who've played for the Bills.

Any reason for your dislike?

In a previous life I worked as a skip-tracer for a credit agency and I had some dealings with Mr. Office.

my top 5:

all of these guys have been awesome in the multiple times i've run into them.

incredibly nice and awesome to fans (well at least me).

bruce- my all time favorite player, always a nice guy, willing to sign anything and get a picture taken.

biscuit - always joking everytime i saw him, went to school with his nephew, all good people

d.talley - i've only recently come into a greater appreciation of this man, following him on twitter is hilarious.

jimbo- always a class act and always happy to meet fans

steve johnson - very accessible, very funny, and pretty good at madden.

honorable mention: flutie, andre reed, frank reich, pete metzelaars, jay riemersma, phil hansen, kent hull and ray bentley

least favorite:

todd collins

john fina

willis mcgahee

travis henry