This Defense could be tops in the NFL soon

Yes there are several 'If's' but with our Starting DL, more talent at LB and the pure potential of our DB corp (even without the increased pass rush..) this D could be the best in the NFL in a year or so if the cards fall right.

Hard to believe huh? :-) If Gilmore and williams can step up as starters...whew....

You mean this year :thumbsup:

Call me once we've added some real NFL linebackers.

Yeah Tank and Nigel are bums :doh:

This is like a twilight zone thread. Toshiero actually says something positive and everyone rails against it.

I don't get the theory that we're fielding a third rate LB corps. It's certainly not the strength of our D but Barnett is a solid NFL LB, Morrison has been productive in the NFL, and the coaches seem to be high on Shepherd. Throw in Scott and the two draft picks for depth and I don't feel so bad about this crowd. Especially given the line in front of them and the secondary behind them.

This is like a twilight zone thread. Toshiero actually says something positive and everyone rails against it.

I don't get the theory that we're fielding a third rate LB corps. It's certainly not the strength of our D but Barnett is a solid NFL LB, Morrison has been productive in the NFL, and the coaches seem to be high on Shepherd. Throw in Scott and the two draft picks for depth and I don't feel so bad about this crowd. Especially given the line in front of them and the secondary behind them.

Agreed. I implied as much in my earlier post in this thread, but the LB corps doesn't have to be spectacular in a 4-3 if the D line is dominant -- and the Giants are a perfect example.

With Wanny's system being based on the principal of each player has to win his individual battle then on paper this D looks good. Wanny 4-3 stresses that Dlineman must win their individual match ups against Olineman. The Bills now have about 6-7 Dlineman that are good-great.

These guys will help the Lb's look better then last year. I always think about Ray Lewis when people talk about Lbs'. Lewis is argueably one of the greatest LBs' of all time. If you remember he has enjoyed his greatest success when he had a good Dline and specifically a big guy in fron tof him eating up two olineman. Goose and then later Ngata.

The team building here is starting to make sense. That the defense, by design, can be very functional and execute well. I think with what we have going into camp we have a High ceiling. Once we get rolling anyways.

I think Wannstadt is the guy who sold it to Anderson and Williams as a team headed in the right direction with a solid plan. Like you fellas quote " let the guys up front win those battles and let the linebackers flow to the ball." I can see that happening this season!

Call me once we've added some real NFL linebackers.

Thanks for keeping it real around here.

IF,however, we somehow hit a homer with malcolm chadley hadham or the guy called tank; then

we could possibly have a sick little defense here. But with what we have starting at

LB---we could possibly be

upper 1/3 in the league if the Williams bros avoid injury.

Now that we have a bunch of real D-linemen, perhaps our NFL linebackers will start playing like they are.......

they should play better--but I don't like a scenario where other people have to be better in order for players

to even look like NFL starters.

Yes there are several 'If's' but with our Starting DL, more talent at LB and the pure potential of our DB corp (even without the increased pass rush..) this D could be the best in the NFL in a year or so if the cards fall right.

Hard to believe huh? :-) If Gilmore and williams can step up as starters...whew....

The "Ifs" are really big ones though to be ignored...

1. If Kyle Williams will be able to regain his Pro-bowl form since having surgery on his leg.

2. The team is switching from 3-4 to a 4-3 and also a change at the DC position. Will the players adapt to a new scheme quickly.

3. Do the LBs have it in them to get to the ball carriers @ the line of scrimmage. In spite of having Dareus, the run defense was still horrible last season.

And these are just on the front 7

if i may Ganesh?

#1. If he is healthy, i cannot imagine why not. And all reports say he is GO. We have read some quotes of him saying his range of motion is back as it was years ago before this started to nag him.

#2. The switch to a Wannstadt 4-3 is supposed make the game simpler on defense and let the players make plays.

#3. Refer to #2. In his 4-3 the linebackers should be getting the tackle stats at the line of scrimmage.

You have darn good questions sir. I have hopeful answers based partially upon fact. : )