Bounty Gate Players Suspended

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im surprised on how some played out

vilma and smith are as expected based on what i heard (team captains, active leaders, and vilma with the 10k image killing him), fujita was an nflpa rep(?) and leader in the locker (3 year captain prior) -- so it looks like (and as i typed this i realized what i was typing) they targeted the heads on this.

hargrove surprises me as it seemed the only damning evidence i knew on him that seperated him from the rest of the pack (keep in mind he was new on the team, still trying to gain trust after his issues, so i didnt peg him as a guy that designed and implemented) was that he was caught on a mic on the sideline celebrating a hit on favre. if thats it - 8 games is rough.

As always my concern is for the integrity of the game and the safety of our players.

So, what you are saying Mr. Commissioner, is that NFL films will no longer distribute footage of hits deemed illegal? What's that? You say that furthermore the NFL network will no longer air NFL footage from the bygone era that encouraged the play that you are railing against today? And even more? Mr. Commissioner, you are a true man of integrity. You say that the NFL will put pressure on ESPN and other news/sports outlets asking them in no uncertain terms to discontinue the practice of airing footage that shows illegal hits and you will forbid the NFL Network from airing those hits?

So, what you are saying Mr. Commissioner, is that NFL films will no longer distribute footage of hits deemed illegal? What's that? You say that furthermore the NFL network will no longer air NFL footage from the bygone era that encouraged the play that you are railing against today? And even more? Mr. Commissioner, you are a true man of integrity. You say that the NFL will put pressure on ESPN and other news/sports outlets asking them in no uncertain terms to discontinue the practice of airing footage that shows illegal hits and you will forbid the NFL Network from airing those hits?

If organizations, coaches...etc offer money for these hits then yes.

http://nfllabor.file...ts-players1.pdf

Vilma gets one year.

Former Bill Hargrove gets eight games.

DE Will Smith gets 4 games.

Scott Fujita gets 3 games.

I am a little biased on the players here, so I think a full season is over the top for a player being COACHED into the bounty system which has been around almost as long as the NFL itself and happens all over the league.

4 games a piece was sufficient to me, but again, I think the hammer should be dropped on the guys implementing it and regulating it..GW and the staff. This is a violent sport and players are taught to play that way since High School, so I put less of the responsibility on the players than I do the coaches.

FYI: Bounty program is grossly being misrepresented as a program solely based on injuring a player when the vast majority is about big hits, turnovers, sacks, big plays, goal line stands, etc. I realize the Saints crossed the line big time, and I am all for punishment for it since they got caught and you need to send a message, but I think the players sentences are a bit high. The staff punishments I full support.

I mean honestly, I dont really care either way, just my 2 cents...

NFLPA reacts:

https://www.nflplayers.com/Articles/Player-News/Statement-on-Alleged-Pay-to-Injure-Program-Punishments/

"After seeing the NFL's decision letters, the NFLPA has still not received any detailed or specific evidence from the league of these specific players' involvement in an alleged pay-to-injure program. We have made it clear that punishment without evidence is not fair. We have spoken with our players and their representatives and we will vigorously protect and pursue all options on their behalf."