UPDATE: QB Vince Young Signs With Buffalo Bills

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

have to admit, it is a nice feeling that if Fitz starts struggling we have an actual option to turn to for plan B...

????

I'll take a struggling Fitz over Young. The only way Young plays is if we run some gimmick play or Fitz gets hurt.

I have never been a big VY fan but I don't see a downside to this signing. He is still young at 28, an athletic QB with a good arm that has been able to win in the league with a 2 mil salary

This is a low risk high reward signing and at worst is an upgrade at backup QB

Fitz has not proven to be a top 15 QB yet. So until he does, guys like VY will be there and poised to take his job.

Well, Vince Young isn't a top 32 QB in the NFL, so what is your point?

More I think about it less I think this is about thig than it is about fitz. VY doesn't have the make up of a backup. He freaked out after getting benched in tenn and stunk off the bench in Philly. If they were sold on fitz theyd stay with a dud like thig or a young developmental guy like tanney

More I think about it less I think this is about thig than it is about fitz. VY doesn't have the make up of a backup. He freaked out after getting benched in tenn and stunk off the bench in Philly. If they were sold on fitz theyd stay with a dud like thig or a young developmental guy like tanney

If this were true than we would've signed him for more than a 1 year deal. This has NOTHING to do with Fitz. I'm hoping we draft our future QB next year though and develop him slow.

If this were true than we would've signed him for more than a 1 year deal. This has NOTHING to do with Fitz. I'm hoping we draft our future QB next year though and develop him slow.

No way. It's not like they're entirely sold on VY it's that they're not sold on fitz. VY has no leverage right now than a 1yr deal.

Great move, with very little downside - Bills figure to keep one experienced backup, which will be Young or Thigpen - may the best man win. If it is Vince Young, Bills also save a few $$ in the process (VY $2 million, Thigpen $2.5 million in base salaries).

Interesting considering Vince and Mario were the hotly debated "who should be the 1st pick in the draft for the Texans?" back in 2006 .

Now all the Bills need is Reggie Bush to have the trifecta :w00t:

Seriously tho, I gotta wonder why Andy Reid couldn't get VY to work out in Philly, and yet brings in Trent Edwards :huh:

Edited by Fear the Beard

This guy was an NFL star for roughly five seasons and is not that old or terribly injured. He's had his issues, but there's not too many squeaky clean QBs anymore. They all have issues. Some teams do a better job of keeping their issues out of the public eye than others.

I'll say it here and now that VY will be our starting QB at some point next season. Fitz will implode and VY will eat his lunch.

This is a GREAT move but ONLY if VY wants this to be his big comeback. A one year contract says to VY...it's now or never. I think if he gets the chance, he'll be huge for this team.

I had some free time and looked at vince youngs career on wikipedia and he seems to have been alot better than the media portrays him. He was picked in 2006 and was on some pretty bad teams but almost took the titans to the playofffs in 2006 ( the third worst team almost making it is pretty impressive.)

Until about 2008 the titans had lendale white soon to be replaced by chris johnson. They havent had any all world receivers to speak of. In the year after he was benched, the year the titans lost 6 in a row with kerry collins, Vince young led the team to 5 straight victories.

Think about his division, playing against carson palmer when he was good and of course peyton manning. I'm not saying he's going to make the probowl but after reading about the titans last 5 seasons with him, im excited about this signing.

2005 4 -12

2006 8-8

2007 10 -6

2008 13-3 kerry collins played essentially the entire season. 2008 season

In the first game against the Jacksonville Jaguars Young injured his knee and was expected to miss 2 to 3 weeks. On September 15, Jeff Fisher made the decision to go with Kerry Collins and for Collins to remain the starter for the rest of the season. The Titans went on to finish 13–3 in the regular season with Young assuming back-up duties.[48]

2009 8-8 kerry collins led the team to six straight losses, then vince young took over.

2010 season

Young led the Titans to a 5–5 record in its first ten games while throwing for ten touchdowns with a 98.6 passer rating.[55]

During a Week 11 loss to the Washington Redskins, Young suffered a torn flexor tendon in his right thumb, but was held out of the game after he was prepared to reenter.[56] Following the game, Young threw his shoulder pads into the crowd as he left the field, had an altercation with Coach Fisher in the locker room, and stormed out.[56][57] Fisher then declared that Rusty Smith would become the Titans' starting quarterback.[58]

On January 5, 2011, Titans owner Bud Adams issued a press release stating that Young would no longer be on the team's roster for the 2011/12 season. Whether Young would be traded or released has yet to be disclosed.[59] Vince Young would finish his Titans career with a 30-17 record (63.8%) over five years.[60] During that span, the Titans compiled a record of 15-18 (45.5%) without Young. As a Titan, Young finished with a 75.4 QB rating and with 54 touchdowns (42 passing, 12 rushing) to 42 interceptions.

On July 28, 2011, Young was released by the Titans.[61] wikipedia

The franchise that Buddy built is a very patient one. They pitched patience from the moment they got here, and you heard it referenced still in the War Room video on buffalobills.com from this past draft day. It is also a surprisingly stable, level environment.

It's the perfect environment for Vince Young, who has had personal stability issues in a more volatile environment (Fischer).

I dont think Young will try to divide the locker room just to get a chance to start. And I dont think Nix, Gailey, Freddy, etc, would tolerate it for one second. Also, anyone who thinks Gailey would make a rash decision and switch QBs after one off game doesnt know the team they are watching.

Best of luck to VY, and best to Fitz. We now have a decent QB tandem. Another job well done, Buddy. Cant wait to see how he upgrades it in the future.

I have never been a big VY fan but I don't see a downside to this signing. He is still young at 28, an athletic QB with a good arm that has been able to win in the league with a 2 mil salary

This is a low risk high reward signing and at worst is an upgrade at backup QB

+ 1

However, I will addd that Chan's infatuation with Wild Cat, spread offense, gimmick play, pass-pass-pass offense will be his undoing:

again.

I think the defense with all the moves and draft will far surpass the offense, and the Head coach will again have no answers.

The 'Stache will then step up. Just a prediction.

Great move, Buddy.

Young at least has talent and we all know what happened to Ryan last year after so much pormise. Maybe this year, if he craps the bed in the second half again, we'll keep winning with a true backup QB. This is more like a real NFL team now.

Great move, Buddy.

Young at least has talent and we all know what happened to Ryan last year after so much pormise. Maybe this year, if he craps the bed in the second half again, we'll keep winning with a true backup QB. This is more like a real NFL team now.

I think if Fitz doesn't crap the bed, Chan will with his play calling. Chan was exposed last year IMO, and things won't change

much this year now that teams have figured him out.

:unsure:

Even though I am not a huge fan of Young and this signing, I really don't think that even Young being a malcontent (which I am not predicting) will have any effect on the Bills locker room unless Fitz completely craps the bed and the team goes on a long losing streak while playing great defense. And that ain't happening barring major injuries again.

Put it this way, Fred Jackson, Nick Barnett, Kyle Williams, Mario Williams, Shawne Merriman, George Wilson, and Ryan Fitzpatrick are NOT going to let Vince friggin' Young take over the Bills locker room. he would be found upside down in a trash can outside the Ralph before that happens.

You forgot Eric Wood :beer:

Great move, Buddy.

Better yet, if Fitz gets injured again he can actually take a week or 2 to sit and heal, and then come back and lead his team again. Instead of struggling through games with an injury that affects his play.