UPDATE: QB Vince Young Signs With Buffalo Bills

It's not as though the Bills have done no homework at all on this guy. I'm sure they spoke with his agent and advised them that while they treat every player the same, and they want every player to compete for a starting role, Young will be brought in as a back-up and first compete with Tyler Thigpen and Brad Smith for a roster spot. If Young is still looking for a starter job, he isn't going to be brought in for a workout to be the back-up. It must be glaringly obvious by now, after FA and the draft, that no team thinks of him as a starter.

Now they must go to Plan B and say to themselves, okay, where is my best chance to be #2 and maybe to eventually become the starter by injury or by the starter failing, combined with which situation and organization is right, which head coach is right, and which city is right to get my failing career back on the right track?

The Bills back-up situation looks right. The team is on the rise. The OL is pretty good. The HC is perfect. The starter is the starter but not young and not a franchise guy. Buffalo MUST look like the best possible scenario to them, or close to the best.

From the Bills POV, Gailey probably likes his skills a lot. He is not the kind of character they like but there is no harm bringing him in and talking to him, as well as listening to him talk about the offense to see where his football IQ is like they do with pre draft visits and FA visits. They aren't committing to anything with the tryout and the interview. But it's possible that Young wows them physically, and it's a matter of whether he will be a good teammate. He hasn't shown that capacity yet.

I think they bring him in and strongly consider signing him and then let him go without a deal, thinking maybe they will bring him back sometime.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for a good laugh OP! The ONLY excusable reason for someone to stop being a Bills fan is if the team moves (let's hope it never does). To say you would quit being a "fan" if we signed a backup QB is downright ridiculous. At the very least you could defend your opinion, not just post a troll thread and leave :thumbdown:

Edited by Marcellosaurus

Give the guy a shot.if it doesn't work out cut him. He is in last chance saloon and he knows it.Buddy is dangling a carrott and if VY has got his head in order he will take it.would be an upgrade over thigpen surely!

It's not as though the Bills have done no homework at all on this guy. I'm sure they spoke with his agent and advised them that while they treat every player the same, and they want every player to compete for a starting role, Young will be brought in as a back-up and first compete with Tyler Thigpen and Brad Smith for a roster spot. If Young is still looking for a starter job, he isn't going to be brought in for a workout to be the back-up. It must be glaringly obvious by now, after FA and the draft, that no team thinks of him as a starter.

Now they must go to Plan B and say to themselves, okay, where is my best chance to be #2 and maybe to eventually become the starter by injury or by the starter failing, combined with which situation and organization is right, which head coach is right, and which city is right to get my failing career back on the right track?

The Bills back-up situation looks right. The team is on the rise. The OL is pretty good. The HC is perfect. The starter is the starter but not young and not a franchise guy. Buffalo MUST look like the best possible scenario to them, or close to the best.

From the Bills POV, Gailey probably likes his skills a lot. He is not the kind of character they like but there is no harm bringing him in and talking to him, as well as listening to him talk about the offense to see where his football IQ is like they do with pre draft visits and FA visits. They aren't committing to anything with the tryout and the interview. But it's possible that Young wows them physically, and it's a matter of whether he will be a good teammate. He hasn't shown that capacity yet.

I think they bring him in and strongly consider signing him and then let him go without a deal, thinking maybe they will bring him back sometime.

This is a fair and balanced response.

Agree.

I want to win too. I am for it but if this is their solution at QB to be our starter, Im wary at best

I doubt ChaNix assume VY would be the starter any more than they assume he will be the backup.

At the very least VY should be able to beat out pigpen for the backup position. If VY somehow had a change of life and has his head on straight he could end up as a better option as the starter than Fitz. The point being, they won't know unless they try.

Assuming the price is right they have at worst an upgrade to the backup position and at best a better starter AND a better backup. This only has upside in my opinion.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I agree. What can it hurt. My only concern about the guy is he is emotional health. If he has that in check finally this might be a good thing! :thumbsup:

Yes. He is stacked with talent and a proven winner in the NFL. The guy just lost his marbles. IF he is mentally stable, this would be an excellent addition.

I'm not sure why VY would illicit such a strong reaction unless . . .

Dear Buddy,

I have been a fan and a season ticket holder since 1987. My passion for this team has never wavered. I became a Buffalo Bills fan after years of growing up as a Giant fan. In 1987, I moved to Buffalo and needed to root for a team I thought I could more identify with. At that time Ronnie Harmon had dropped the pass that would have changed the Buffalo Bills franchise around and in spite of that I saw great things happening for the Bills so I made the commitment emotionally and financially. I am saying this with all honesty. If you sign Vince Young I will take my business else were. That is a promise.

1gap2gap,

Michael Vick is the guy that tortured dogs, not Vince Young.

Vince Young is the guy that touted himself, and his Coach Jeff Fisher and his mom were was worried he might off himself.

VY did not harm animals.

Not to stomp on your righteous indignation, but Ronnie Harmon dropped that pass in January of 1990

Thanks for sparing me the time, I thought it was after the '89 season.

I doubt ChaNix assume VY would be the starter any more than they assume he will be the backup.

At the very least VY should be able to beat out pigpen for the backup position. If VY somehow had a change of life and has his head on straight he could end up as a better option as the starter than Fitz. The point being, they won't know unless they try.

Assuming the price is right they have at worst an upgrade to the backup position and at best a better starter AND a better backup. This only has upside in my opinion.

Your first post seemed to imply he was being brought in to be our and Fitz was out. I would hate that idea. VY hasnt done enough in the past few years to be handed a starting job, especially on a suddenly talented team that is built to win now

Geez, people are acting like it's 2009 and we're going to bring in Vick.

Sure, this guy has motivational (and likely intellectual) issues, but he's coming in for a back-up role. There is really little risk here. Have the haters ever thought about what would happen if Fitz goes down next season for an extended period of time? We have no viable back-up right now. If Fitz gets injured, the season's finished.

Your first post seemed to imply he was being brought in to be our and Fitz was out. I would hate that idea. VY hasnt done enough in the past few years to be handed a starting job, especially on a suddenly talented team that is built to win now

My first post was that I found it interesting that everyone here assumed VY was being brought in as the backup.

I at least haven't made that assumption.

This is yet another GREAT MOVE by Nix & Co., in what unquestionably has to be the best off-season maneuvering we've seen since the Polian days. It should be seen as great news for Bills fans everywhere - and is, I'm sure, except for a select few inside the insane asylum that is The Stadium Wall...

Speaking of insane asylums, the fact that we have BryLin here definitely improves his fit within the area. I wonder if his agent will bring it up during negotiations?

First off I browsed the posts in this thread, didn't read all of them...But Vince Young? He is way overrated!

Some posters say look at his win loss record of 31-19; that is indicative of a team that had a good defense. Look at his stats:

SEASON TEAM GP CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD LNG INT FUM RAT

2006 TEN 15 184 357 51.5 2,199 6.16 12 53 13 6 66.7

2007 TEN 15 238 382 62.3 2,546 6.67 9 73 17 5 71.1

2008 TEN 3 22 36 61.1 219 6.08 1 54 2 2 64.5

2009 TEN 12 152 259 58.7 1,879 7.26 10 66 7 1 82.8

2010 TEN 9 93 156 59.6 1,255 8.05 10 71 3 3 98.6

2011 PHI 6 66 114 57.9 866 7.60 4 58 9 2 60.8

Career 60 755 1,304 57.9 8,964 6.87 46 73 51 19 74.4

He is a back-up - yeah. Should he be a starter? No way. First his stats show that he isn't. I don't recall big changes with the Titans when VY took over for McNair, but McNair threw for over 3,000 yds (meaningful back then) and completed more than 60% of his passes.

I bring up the starter angle for the following reason Link:

"Young says he asked Reid about returning to the Eagles for next season, but Reid told him he should try to be a starter somewhere. Obviously, that was not going to be the case with the Birds.

"I asked Andy, ‘could I be part of the team again?’ He was like ‘I would love for you to stay here but you’re not a backup quarterback’ so when I heard the big guy, big red, say that it showed me more confidence and more respect that he had for me when he said he wanted to see me somewhere playing," Young told KILT radio in Houston, according to sportsradiointerviews.com. "I can truly understand that and they wanted to give Mike Kafka a little more of a chance to go out and compete and backup up Mike Vick but basically he didn’t see me backing up again. He felt like I should be starting somewhere and playing so that’s just the respect he had for me and saw the hard work that I put in to get better as quarterback last year with those guys.”"

Secondly, and most importantly VY is a headcase and does NOT have the mental abilities to be a starter.

Reason #1 (from Wiki):

On September 9, 2008, a distraught Vince Young left his home without his cell phone. The reasons given were that Young was upset over being booed by fans after throwing a second interception against the visiting Jacksonville Jaguars the previous day and the sprained medial collateral ligament in his left knee suffered four plays after head coach Jeff Fisher prodded him back into the game. Young postponed a doctor's examination until the following day. After speaking to members of Young's family, Fisher called Nashville police. After a four-hour search, they found Young, who agreed to meet with Fisher and police at the team's training facility.

Vince Young's agent, Major Adams, told ESPN reporter George Smith that he did not know why the story had taken on a life of its own, and stated that the incident was "blown out of proportion" and called any perceived depression or emotional problems suffered by his client "unfounded."[66] His mother, Felicia Young, however, stated that her son was "hurting inside and out."

Reason #2 Link

Young, who had raised his hands almost as if begging fans to boo him after an incompletion on third-and-1 in the first half, tweeted three hours after the game and apologized to his teammates. He wrote he was competitive and “Just want to play.”

It was the final meltdown for the Titans (5-5) as they lost their third straight. Young lost a fumble on the Titans’ opening drive, and they settled for two field goals inside the Washington 20. Randy Moss was so ignored fans started chanting his name when the Titans had first-and-goal. As players filed off the sideline, Young was seen undoing his shoulder pads, which he then threw into the stands. He and Titans coach Jeff Fisher talked in the locker room before Young left so quickly a security guard was nearly knocked over.

Titans safety Michael Griffin, also a teammate back at Texas in college, ran after Young in just his shorts. Young brushed him off before heading to the parking lot. Griffin was seen shaking his head as he walked back to the locker room."

Make no bones about it, this guy is looking to start. I don't want a headcase in our locker room, a guy who can't clearly handle pressure and succeed. This isn't an endorsement of Thigpen either, I think back-up QB should be addressed, but not with Young. If Fitz for whatever reason falters, I don't want Young to #1 think he is the answer and more importantly #2 our Front Office to decide to waste time trying to fix this guy to be our starter. I want no part of it. He isn't as talented as all think he is, the stats don't lie. If Fitz can't do it, we should draft a Rookie in Round 1. What happens if Fitz goes down and Young looks good - is this the guy you really want to be our starter? Does his character fit in with our locker room? NO

who in their right mind thinks he has a chance to win the starting job. The bills know it and VY certainly knows it

So in your opinion VY absolutely doesn't think he is a better QB than Fitz? And the Bills know that for a fact as well.

You certainly claim to have a lot more detailed knowledge of the situation than I do ;)