RD 2, Pick #41: OT Cordy Glenn - Georgia

Beerball

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nix brought in competition for guard, rt and lt. And did that with just one player. Great Nix pick, he loves his abilty to get His lineman. Big, ability to play more than one position decently and often cheap or very good value. i think that is his pride and joy.

Glenn was the guy they wanted all along and hoped he fell to 41. Musta been the Leprechaun.

Someone pointed this out on another board....I totally missed it

- It is pretty well known that Mike Maylock has stated he thinks Gordy Glenn is a guard and he is sticking to it......

- If anyone has the ability to do it....go back to the draft when Glenn is picked....on NFL network Maylock is commenting on the pick

- Maylock once again goes into his tangent that Glenn is a guard....and starts showing clips

- Shows a play of riding a Tennesee DE around the QB and out of the play

- Then shows a clip of Cordy getting to the 2nd level and launching a LB back about 3-4 yards in the running game

- Then he starts his negative commentary about Glenns bad feet.....at the senior bowl the OT gets beat on an inside move......BUT IT WAS A OT NAMED ALLEN.....IT WASNT CORDY GLENN.....he wasnt even in the video

- Then it goes back in the next frame showing Glenn locking up a defensive player and nutralizing him

Frankly....Im a little dissapointed in you Mike.....

Yes, someone else did point this out.

I am presuming that a producer put together the clips. I would be surprised if Mayock does his own video editing.

It was a mistake, but I presume that his evaluation was not based on that one single play from the senior bowl practice. Whether he was right or wrong, Mayock is still very, very good at what he does. He also thinks that Glenn is a hell of a player.

Evaluating potential draftees - in the NFL, NHL, MLB etc. -- is a tricky business. There are hits and misses. It is eye opening to look back at previous drafts of the first round in every sport in see names of guys in the first round that never amounted to anything or you barely remember and then think back to how people thought how great some of these guys would be.

Back to the original point - Mayock will make mistakes (just like the guys that are paid a whole bunch of money to evaluate talent for teams). Nevertheless, it is obvious he puts in a lot of work and his opinion is credible.

Whether we have a left tackle or a guard, we seem to have a very good player in Glenn. I trust Buddy and his team. It is now up to Glenn (and the coaches) to prove what kind of player he is and what position he will play.

- It is pretty well known that Mike Maylock has stated he thinks Gordy Glenn is a guard and he is sticking to it......

- If anyone has the ability to do it....go back to the draft when Glenn is picked....on NFL network Maylock is commenting on the pick

- Maylock once again goes into his tangent that Glenn is a guard....and starts showing clips

- Then shows a clip of Cordy getting to the 2nd level and launching a LB back about 3-4 yards in the running game

- Then he starts his negative commentary about Glenns bad feet.....at the senior bowl the OT gets beat on an inside move......BUT IT WAS A OT NAMED ALLEN.....IT WASNT CORDY GLENN.....he wasnt even in the video

- Then it goes back in the next frame showing Glenn locking up a defensive player and nutralizing him

Yes, I mentioned that in another thread, I heard it at the time...was listening on-line, cooking...Mayock seemed pretty definitive in his statement that Glenn would not cut it at LT...funny, pretty much everything else I have heard/read about Glenn has been very positive...almost everyone had him projected as the 3rd best tackle in the draft, and pretty much all had him projected as a late first round pick...fug Maylock...I never heard of him!

you know it's mike mayock right?

Mayock...Maylock...Maalox...fug him! :devil:

That is interesting because I watched coverage of the Senior Bowl and Mayock was praising Glen's work at Tackle. In fact he stated that, "none of the pass rushers beat Glenn in practice". Also Glenn converted to LT. There is supposedly a big improvement between his early and late film. My guess is that thery are going to have Glenn come in at 320 -330 weight range he had two differnt strength and conditioning coaches and they differed at the weights they wanted him at.

Only time will tell where he is going to play but he is going to play.

The Cordy Glenn analysis is fascinating, if only because you have a number of guys emphatically stating Glenn doesn't project as an NFL LT, while the Bills clearly disagree and have him slotted there. It will be interesting to look back in a year or two and see who was right.

Regardless, the opinions are almost unanimous that Glenn is a 1st round "talent" on the OL, and for that, I'm satisfied.

Glenn Article

Bills offensive line coach Joe D’Alessandris couldn’t resist. Not long after Buffalo made offensive tackle Cordy Glenn the 41st pick in the draft in round two last weekend, the veteran assistant popped his head into the Bills draft room. Standing there with a big grin on his face he said to those in the room, “I just want to congratulate everyone on the last pick. Excellent selection.”

“It’s always good to get a good player and all the players we selected were good, but we targeted Cordy and I watched a lot of tape on him and we reviewed him and went back and analyzed him again and then went and analyzed him some more,” said D’Alessandris. “To see us get that kind of caliber player at that time I was excited because I know he’s going to make our offensive line better.”

Literally applauding the pick D’Alessandris was behaving much like he does on the field offering enthusiasm and encouragement to his players in practice with a healthy dose of hard coaching to match. Buffalo’s line coach liked the pick not just for the level of talent Glenn will provide to the team’s offensive front, but for the person he had come to know through the pre-draft process.

The thing is.....when Mike M. talks. I listen....I do think he is credible.

I would think a guy like Mike would be pissed over a mistake like that......

IMO, it's not a "mistake" so much as it's a failure to see how Glenn can be an effective LOT in a quick-passing scheme like the Bills employ versus a LOT in a traditional 7-step drop scheme like the Raiders (used to) employ.

Glenn will be fine, since he'll just have to blot out the sun for 2.5 seconds and the ball will be out. And he'll be a big asset to the running game as a 330 pounds (what he'll play at) mauler...

IMO, it's not a "mistake" so much as it's a failure to see how Glenn can be an effective LOT in a quick-passing scheme like the Bills employ versus a LOT in a traditional 7-step drop scheme like the Raiders (used to) employ.

Glenn will be fine, since he'll just have to blot out the sun for 2.5 seconds and the ball will be out. And he'll be a big asset to the running game as a 330 pounds (what he'll play at) mauler...

Well, I think the Bills (and I) hope he'll be better than that. I think they'd like to at least have the threat of longer-developing pass plays/deeper routes, even if those never become primary weapons. There was no threat of them last year, and against teams that realized it, the offense kind of crumbled.

The Cordy Glenn analysis is fascinating, if only because you have a number of guys emphatically stating Glenn doesn't project as an NFL LT, while the Bills clearly disagree and have him slotted there. It will be interesting to look back in a year or two and see who was right.

Regardless, the opinions are almost unanimous that Glenn is a 1st round "talent" on the OL, and for that, I'm satisfied.

When this draft is re-graded in 3 years, Glenn will be a top 15 pick and the best LT in the draft.

I cannot say again how truly excited I am that the Bills finally addressed LT with a fantastic pick.

Well, I think the Bills (and I) hope he'll be better than that. I think they'd like to at least have the threat of longer-developing pass plays/deeper routes, even if those never become primary weapons. There was no threat of them last year, and against teams that realized it, the offense kind of crumbled.

No doubt.

But since he's likely to be the day-one starter, they'll still have to protect him a bit as he acclimates to the speed of the NFL game. They can give him some help if they want to go deep and hope his wingspan will force speed rushers to go around him enough to mix in longer developing plays...

Don't know if this has been posted yet. The offensive snaps from SEC championship game:

#99 Montgomery was touted as a potential first-rounder as an edge rusher for a 3-4 scheme if he had come out early.

After Glenn made him look like Aaron Maybin, I guess he figured that another year in the SEC wasn't all bad.

Edit: That is a very impressive little tape. LSU defense isn't exactly a bunch of slugs, but Cordy does everything you want to see a tackle do: Engulf the speed guys, stand up to the bull rushes, cut the blitzers off the edge, and absolutely maul in the running game. I don't do OL grading but I'd think that's gotta be 80+ against the SEC champions. Georgia's main problem in that game is that their QB is absolutely horrible.

Much more excited now about Glenn's prospects at LT after isolating on #71 on that tape.

Edited by Ralonzo