Nix on WGR this morning

QCity

http://podcast.wgr550.com/wgr2/3448448.mp3?rhidownloadlink=true

Said Hill was a round 2 target if no tackles were there

Asked if he would name the QB they wanted, said "No"

Buddyism watch: "Drafting is like the woman with the ugly baby, you gotta love him - he's yours"

I love Buddy. I think that is the first time Ive ever seen a GM admit that they sometimes get "stuck" drafting players other than their first choice. Everyone always says "We got our guys and are very happy". I'm sure he is happy with the draft, just the first time I've seen one admit he wanted more. :thumbsup:

http://podcast.wgr55...wnloadlink=true

Said Hill was a round 2 target if no tackles were there

Asked if he would name the QB they wanted, said "No"

Buddyism watch: "Drafting is like the woman with the ugly baby, you gotta love him - he's yours"

My read was Hill or Quick. I know he mentioned Hill as one guy but was very non-committal. I think he MAY have intentionally said Hill when he would have drafted Quick. But he clearly said a WR was his highest rated player after Glenn. It's possible he wasn't being truthful, too, he does lie, btw. He's not always as straight forward as he is given credit for. I don't blame him for it at all. In fact, the morning of the day #2 draft, before it started, he said flat out on the radio that Jonathan Martin was the best player available on Saturday. And then when he had his choice of Glenn or Martin he took Glenn.

In fact, the morning of the day #2 draft, before it started, he said flat out on the radio that Jonathan Martin was the best player available on Saturday.

You sure on that? I heard an interview with him that day, but the interviewer specifically asked him about Martin. His response was something like "Martin is going to be a great player for some team." I definitely didn't hear BPA, but it did lead me to believe we would take him.

My read was Hill or Quick. I know he mentioned Hill as one guy but was very non-committal. I think he MAY have intentionally said Hill when he would have drafted Quick. But he clearly said a WR was his highest rated player after Glenn. It's possible he wasn't being truthful, too, he does lie, btw. He's not always as straight forward as he is given credit for. I don't blame him for it at all. In fact, the morning of the day #2 draft, before it started, he said flat out on the radio that Jonathan Martin was the best player available on Saturday. And then when he had his choice of Glenn or Martin he took Glenn.

Don't forget that Randle went 64 to Giants as well, who said they had a 1st round grade on him. I can see Buddy seeing him in a similar fashion, given his production despite the QBs he had.

Interesting how Nix said that Glenn was a consideration at #10 if the draft fell a certain way. Made it seem like we had Gilmore rated very highly and were happy he fell to #10. Also, Hill and Jeffrey were the WR's that went right after our pick, so I assume we had high grades on those guys too.

You sure on that? I heard an interview with him that day, but the interviewer specifically asked him about Martin. His response was something like "Martin is going to be a great player for some team." I definitely didn't hear BPA, but it did lead me to believe we would take him.

Yes, I'm positive. I found it hard to believe he said it. I think it was a GR interview friday morning. I even commented about it here and think I provided a link. I don't have time to look now but I am sure of it. The interviewer, which may have been JoeB or Sal from GR didn't think he would answer it either (It's possible it was Colin Cowherd, too, but I know I heard the interview personally).

I'm convinced the Bills wanted Reuben Randle in the 3rd.

It's a damn shame we didn't move up a few more picks and grab him. He's going to be the 2nd best WR of this draft.

I have no doubt they were trying to move up to get him (as evidenced by the fact that we did move up eventually), but no team at the end of the 2nd was willing to drop 10-15 spots.

Don't forget that Randle went 64 to Giants as well, who said they had a 1st round grade on him. I can see Buddy seeing him in a similar fashion, given his production despite the QBs he had.

Should have moved up for him instead of Graham (maybe he tried and Giants wouldn't take what he offered). Wish we had Randle. Bet Eli is happy.

Yup, I also wondered if he really meant Quick. Buddy seems to reel out just a little bit of information but not necessarily the whole story.

I'm surprised that clearly untrue declaration about Martin doesn't get more press. IMO Buddy thought that there was little chance that Martin was going to be there, and/or that he would seed the idea that teams looking for a T should pick him over the guy that they really wanted in Glenn (who they clearly chose over Martin).

Yup, I also wondered if he really meant Quick. Buddy seems to reel out just a little bit of information but not necessarily the whole story.

I'm surprised that clearly untrue declaration about Martin doesn't get more press. IMO Buddy thought that there was little chance that Martin was going to be there, and/or that he would seed the idea that teams looking for a T should pick him over the guy that they really wanted in Glenn (who they clearly chose over Martin).

It was the latter. He also said after the draft they put out a lot of information that Glenn was a guard. I think they really wanted him all along.

I took that to mean "...some team...but not us."

Reuben Randle does not enjoy blocking. Ergo, he was not on Chan Gailey's radar screen.

Is TJ Graham a good blocker? I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but I might have missed it with all the news this weekend.

Should have moved up for him instead of Graham (maybe he tried and Giants wouldn't take what he offered). Wish we had Randle. Bet Eli is happy.

If the Giants took him, they definitely werent going to trade with us. You need to look at the 5 or so teams that went before the Giants. We probably put calls in, but no one wanted to move back 15 spots, and not sure we were offering more than that 7th (nor should have).

It was the latter. He also said after the draft they put out a lot of information that Glenn was a guard. I think they really wanted him all along.

I understand why they'd spread that misinformation, but why on Earth would Nix admit to it later? Isn't it likely Glenn will read this and know Nix may have caused him to get picked later and lose out on some salary?

I understand why they'd spread that misinformation, but why on Earth would Nix admit to it later? Isn't it likely Glenn will read this and know Nix may have caused him to get picked later and lose out on some salary?

Any team had the opportunity to take them in the 1st 40 picks. If they are relying the words of Buddy Nix to form their own plan then something is very wrong. Buddy is not compelled to let other teams know his plans for a player.

Yes, I'm positive. I found it hard to believe he said it. I think it was a GR interview friday morning. I even commented about it here and think I provided a link. I don't have time to look now but I am sure of it. The interviewer, which may have been JoeB or Sal from GR didn't think he would answer it either (It's possible it was Colin Cowherd, too, but I know I heard the interview personally).

It was Friday amd Cowherd raved about the Bills' offeseason moves, about Buddy's picks in San Diego (something like 6 Pro Browlers come out of 2 drafts), and at 12:15 he had Buddy on for a little under 10 minutes...