Buffalo News: WTH?

Frank Sinatra died when I was the news editor of a daily in SoCal. In our 3 p.m. planning meeting, we discussed AP stories we would use as part of his obit package. I was horrified when our managing editor insisted on running an article entitled, "Sinatra's Shady Past." That wasn't the day for an article like that. I was overruled, and it ran. And we received dozens of complaints.

Now, let's take a look at the Buffalo News' "stadium article" from today (http://www.buffalonews.com/city/columns/donn-esmonde/article833616.ece?twobillsdrive).

Really? Could this not have waited till Monday? Unless there's breaking, relevant news, give the readers what they want after an exciting draft weekend. The editors' timing could not be worse. Neither could their judgment.

Buzz Killington, anyone?

BA

I couldn't disagree more. Wanting your news source to spoon-feed you stories that make you feel good is dangerous. I don't need my newspaper to protect me from uncomfortable truths.

Except this wasn't news. It was "commentary" that easily could have waited. Classless move.

Why start a thread about the Buff News or the stadium issues?!! The draft just ended, dude!! Couldn't you have waited a week or so before posting these links?!!

Ask TBD. It's right there -- in your face -- second link down on the home page.

BA

Edited by Bud Adams

I couldn't agree more, but I read it on-line and there was also an editoial that was totally refreshing and you should read and share with everyone you know - the ideas put forth it could help the Bills locate downtown and become a major impetus for regional growth funded by the state, federal and canadian governments. I will also post this as a new topic - it is such a refreshing approach for Buffalo's morass for the last 50-60 years.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial-page/viewpoints/article833545.ece?twobillsdrive

I couldn't agree more, but I read it on-line and there was also an editoial that was totally refreshing and you should read and share with everyone you know - the ideas put forth it could help the Bills locate downtown and become a major impetus for regional growth funded by the state, federal and canadian governments. I will also post this as a new topic - it is such a refreshing approach for Buffalo's morass for the last 50-60 years.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial-page/viewpoints/article833545.ece?twobillsdrive

GREAT take, NNGU. That's the story that should have run all by itself -- piggybacking off the draft/free agency.

It's a great, POSITIVE editorial.

BA

Except this wasn't news. It was "commentary" that easily could have waited. Classless move.

Ask TBD. It's right there -- in your face -- second link down on the home page.

BA

I'm just messin' with ya, BA. But you started the thread, not TBD. So now you have complained about the News bringing attention to it by printing the commentary on it, and TBD for bringing attention to it by linking the commentary, but not the dude who brought attention to it by starting a thread on it... :devil:

And now I have brought attention to it by writing two posts complaining about the complaining. This is turning into a classic example of "The Knights Who Say Ni!" Now I said it. Oh, I said it again!

I'm just messin' with ya, BA. But you started the thread, not TBD. So now you have complained about the News bringing attention to it by printing the commentary on it, and TBD for bringing attention to it by linking the commentary, but not the dude who brought attention to it by starting a thread on it... :devil:

Okay, you got me. And you do have a point. ;)

That said, the "commentary" really pissed me off (timing wise) and I had to get it off my chest. Will do the same in the form of a letter to the editor.

BA

Great link. Thanks.

TBN has their highest readership on Sundays probably the reason for the article. That being said any lease deal should be 20 years and the full amount of the renovations should have to repaid if the lease is broken prior to that. Hopefully the cost of breaking the lease and the franchise relocation fee would prohibit a new owner from moving the team.

Also this maybe the eternal optimist in me, but I believe that Mario would have asked about the potential for the Bills moving sometime during the contract and since he met with Kelly and signed here, he must feel good about the long term prospects of the team remaining in Buffalo.

Most importantly I think the Bills just completed their best draft since 1987.

As my Father used to say; "TIME & PLACE!"

Now may not be the time or the place for this article but the Stadium issue is an inevitability so the article, if it were to be run, could be stuck anywhere in the future.

Unless this date is coincidental with Stadium negotiations, and I don't know if that's true or not, it's likely neither the time or the place for the atricle.

Maybe just another slow news day in Buffalo?

http://www.buffalone...e?twobillsdrive

That's a great story and idea, the reason stated by Russ for wanting a refreshment instead of new build is however funding. The idea is great, and yes it will serve the region a lot better then just fixing the Ralph, funding solutions however are needed.

It's not a hatchet job. It's pretty well written in fact, though I don't know why Esmonde assumes the Bills would not accept ironclad guarantees in the lease. I think he would. What's it Ralph if his estate makes only a billion dollars instead of $1.2 billion? I think he wants his legacy to be untarnished.

PTR

Classy or not, they're getting clicks and eyeballs, and that's what the Buffalo News ultimately cares about.

They would have had clicks and eyeballs regardless. It's the day after draft week -- Sheesh.

It's not a hatchet job. It's pretty well written in fact, though I don't know why Esmonde assumes the Bills would not accept ironclad guarantees in the lease. I think he would. What's it Ralph if his estate makes only a billion dollars instead of $1.2 billion? I think he wants his legacy to be untarnished.

PTR

PTR: Not blasting the column. Just the timing.

Edited by Bud Adams