Wisconsin recall election

Haha yeah I need to talk politics and news somewhere! It's pretty brutal here though for a "lefty". Lol.

I need backup. I feel like I have to respond to 7 different people each thread. :blink:

It's pretty brutal here for drones, regardless of political persuasion. The most intelligent posters here aren't "right wingers", they're "no wingers". Just because we hate liberals doesn't mean we're Republicans. Republicans !@#$ing suck too.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unions have been dying for years. Republicans are just trying to put them out of business for good.

Not sure if serious. I get attacked and namecalled on almost every post I make. I thought I was playing by everyone's rules here.

This place is full of right wingers that just pat each other on the back all day. I've been called stupid, retarded, and a dumbass in my short time here. But, me taking a little jab at someone is out of bounds? Really?

I was being facetious. I really thought your jab at LA was pretty weak.

Wisconsin is a fine example of how to clean up after a liberal mess. Doyle left us $3.6 billion in the hole, and Walker erased that debt in a short period of time without raising taxes. Property taxes also went down for the first time in 12 years, thanks to Act 10. I am proud my state woke up. We kicked Feingold's sorry can out of office, and replaced him with a knowledgeable conservative, Ron Johnson. We also have one of the best congressmen in the House, Paul Ryan. On Wisconsin!

Actually, now that you put it that way....Wisconsin is pretty bad ass.

Truthfully, I like what Ryan is doing, in terms of demanding that we not keep kicking the can. Not sure if I like Ryan, tho. Still can't tell if he is genuine or not. He sounds like he is, but, his skill set(marketing) means he's supposed to sound that way. However, it's hard to win a popularity contest when you're the guy calling BS all the time.

I just know philosophically, I disagree with some of the things they were doing there.

You philosophically disagree with not sucking? Really? Do hate getting positive and intended results, too? :D Philosophically....don't mean schit when you are in the hole $3.6 billion.

Maybe, but I can change my avatar and you'll still be a whiny progressive who believes the failures of this administration are mischaracterized because of what can't be seen.

"The stimulus saved us from another depression! Things could have been worse!" :lol:

I love the fact that the people who are most critical of those who believe in "your imaginary Ghost in the sky/Zombie Jesus" etc.....

.....are the exact same clowns that say we should merely take "the stimulus was too small", on faith :D

These people think their "green venture capital with tax dollars will produce all the jobs we will ever need"...is more plausible than the Resurrection.

Should I even bring up the amount of faith they are asking us to have in their man-made global warming..."passion of the Gore"? Gore: "you will deny me 3 times before the earth overheats in 2016". :lol: Sorry Al, we've denied you on this board at least 13 times. Got anymore Wall Street journal articles about taking business fad/cliche language and marrying* it with the word "sustainable", Al?

(*not gonna say juxtaposing)

As LABillzFan alluded to earlier, this is an interesting result from yesterday's Re-call primary.

There were over 900,000 signatures (supposedly valid signatures) on the petition to recall Walker.

Why didn’t those people bother to vote yesterday?

Do they not really exist, have they changed their minds about wanting a recall, or did the sign the petitions because of real or perceived coercion?

Or people signed it to shut up those asking...

Its no different than a politician complaining about Citizens United and all the money corporations can now funnel to campaigns....five seconds after they left a Union-sponsored fundraiser that netted him $250K towards his reelection.

because one is exploitative and slavery, the other is freedom and autonomy...

but hey, try not to think...

I would imagine that the Wisconsin voters, reading about the state of California and their unchecked "public" unions (16 B in debt)

might be considering the consequences of the re-call vote.

I would imagine that the Wisconsin voters, reading about the state of California and their unchecked "public" unions (16 B in debt)

might be considering the consequences of the re-call vote.

Fiscal responsibility is hard when you're trying to buy votes.

Gov. Scott Walker and the danger of the recall movement

May 11, 2012|By Jonathan Zimmerman

I'm a lifelong Democrat and a career educator. So I'm predictably appalled by Wisconsin's Republican Gov. Scott Walker, who has cut spending for schools and stripped teachers — and most of the state's public workers — of collective bargaining rights.

But I'm also appalled by the recall campaign against Walker by Wisconsin Democrats, who Tuesday chose Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett to run against Walker in a June 5 special election — a rematch of the 2010 contest. The recall epitomizes the petty, loser-take-all vindictiveness of contemporary American politics. And if you don't agree, I've got two names for you: former California Gov. Gray Davis and U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein.

{snip}

"As a liberal, I'm troubled by the prospect of voters unseating an elected official over taxes. Or abortion. Or gun control.

If you can recall leaders for any political reason, sooner or later your own ox will be gored."

I'm also worried that the Wisconsin recall, which has drawn nationwide attention and money, will trigger a vicious cycle of partisan retribution. Your guy didn't win in November? No problem. Start a recall drive now.

Most of all, though, I fear that the recall threat will make our elected officials even more timid and poll-tested than they already are. Sometimes, great leaders need to take unpopular positions...

The recommendation, from Jonathan Zimmerman, who teaches history and education at New York University, is that Wisconsinites vote to keep Scott Walker in office — even if they are opposed to him.

On top of that, I'd say get rid of the recall mechanism altogether.

L A Times

L A Times

Good article. It's a sad state of affairs when voters can be bribed with others money and can't see passed entitlements and pork to make tough but correct choices for future success.

As has been sad...people get the type of government they deserve. It just takes 50% +1 and with a large portion of voters who have no attention span and care more about who was voted off survivor and can only focus on a 30second long demagouge ad throwing grandma over a cliff and making kids eat dog food. When enough people believe that crap this country is !@#$ed

Last three polls show Walker up 5,6 and 9 points, and now the DNC/Obama campaign are abandoning the Walker recall election by not sending in funds for the Barret election efforts. I'd say that this race is slipping away. Prediction Walker wins by 7 points in a landslide.

Last three polls show Walker up 5,6 and 9 points, and now the DNC/Obama campaign are abandoning the Walker recall election by not sending in funds for the Barret election efforts. I'd say that this race is slipping away. Prediction Walker wins by 7 points in a landslide.

I have to wonder...if Barrett lost the primary and the union woman won, if this would be the case? I guess it would all be in the polling.

Regardless, a Walker win in Wisconsin will be about as massive an embarrassment as the union could ever, ever bring on themselves. And that makes me smile.

Edited by LABillzFan

Hey Wisconsin Bills Fan, I try and keep up with the recall updates (usually with Althouse or Powerline (Minnesota)and it seems to me that the dems recall doesn't even focus on the Governor's illegal public union-busting, all those teachers demonstrations and the taking over of the Capitol building last year are kept in the background.

Now they just seem to want to run on "jobs", whats up? Did they overplay their hand last year?

I'm guessing that you don't hear about Walker's "Draconian" budget, because it seems to b$20e working.

Yeah B-Man the whole Act 10 outrage (You know the sole reason for this recall) is not even mentioned anymore. Tom Barrett did not bring it up once in his victory speech and really hasn't since. So the attention was focused on all of the jobs lost under Walker, but when the hard data (not projections based on a survey from 3% of businesses) came out it showed Wisconsin has gained 33,000 jobs under Walker. It is hysterical watching Barrett grasp at straws at this point. He is pinning all of his hopes on an investigation going on about some of Walker's former aides when he was County Executive, campaigning during government time.

So to summarize we went from recalling Walker over collective bargaining, to jobs lost, to a investigation that thus far has nothing to do with Scott Walker. This is a $20+ million dollar hissy fit!

Obama is showing a real profile of courage by campaigning in Wisconsin on behalf of Barrett and the Unions, for what is arguably the biggest election of the year, aside from the presidential election. He really has been putting it all on the line for them.

Top union officials are lashing out at Washington Democrats, claiming they haven't done enough to help them unseat Gov. Scott Walker ® in Wisconsin's recall election.

President Obama has been silent on the race since his campaign released a statement endorsing Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett (D) immediately after his primary victory two weeks ago. The Obama campaign is helping Barrett with get-out-the-vote operations, but the president has not publicly mentioned the race.

The Democratic National Committee has been similarly tight-fisted. The DNC sent out a fundraising email for Barrett, and DNC Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.) will be in Wisconsin for a fundraiser next week, but the national party has refused entreaties to give the state party money.

The election is on June 5, just 10 days away.

International Association of Fire Fighters President Harold Schaitberger acknowledged the DNC’s help on the ground but said a major cash investment would have been worth a lot more.

"I'm very disappointed that the DNC has not seen fit to make a dollar investment," Schaitberger said. "When you're facing $25 million or more in super-PAC funds, you need money. The campaign needed funds to get up on the air to fight back. ... I think that would have been a good investment going into November."

Schaitberger credited Obama for being “fairly clear in his position on Wisconsin and the recall election,” but expressed frustration that there hadn’t been more focus on what he views as a crucial test heading into the fall elections.

"I think this is a national campaign," Schaitberger said. "Wisconsin is another important test to establish the tone and mood of what is to come in November."

When asked about national Democrats' support in the recall election, another union official scoffed.

"Labor has always been there for the national Democratic Party. The national Democratic Party should be there for labor in this instance. They're not," he said.

The official said that what happened in the recall election would likely bleed over into the presidential election.

"I think they would want their voters energized and motivated for November. To me, it's just short-sighted," the official said.

A Democratic strategist working for anti-Walker forces warned that union members would be less enthusiastic about working for Obama if he doesn’t step up for them.

"It won't go unnoticed by labor the extent to which the White House ultimately decides to fight or not fight for working people the final critical days in Wisconsin,” he said. "The White House needs to move beyond being afraid of its own shadow. The Romney campaign has already been foaming at the mouth to pounce if Walker survives. If that isn't motivation enough for the White House to start doing everything it can to help defeat Scott Walker, it's hard to know what is.”

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/229485-unions-angry-with-washington-democrats-over-lack-of-help-in-wisconsin

Obama is showing a real profile of courage by campaigning in Wisconsin on behalf of Barrett and the Unions, for what is arguably the biggest election of the year, aside from the presidential election. He really has been putting it all on the line for them.

For someone who is typically pretty thin on the use of sarcasm, that was pretty funny.

One of the best nuggets of advice I was ever given on the golf course came while playing in a friendly competition based on handicaps and some other such rules, where you could lose individual holes but still compete up to the end. (Note: I suck at golf, but play it because it's the single greatest sales tool in the world.) After losing a hole early and quickly, I would just screw around with the rest of the shots to play out the hole. My friend told me, you've lost, but you're throwing away chances to improve. Use the throwaway shots to work on little things. Use it as a dry run for the next hole.

Terrific advice on a number of levels, and so I regret to say that I completely get what Wasserman-Shultz is saying here.

Edited by LABillzFan

One of the best nuggets of advice I was ever given on the golf course came while playing in a friendly competition based on handicaps and some other such rules, where you could lose individual holes but still compete up to the end. (Note: I suck at golf, but play it because it's the single greatest sales tool in the world.) After losing a hole early and quickly, I would just screw around with the rest of the shots to play out the hole. My friend told me, you've lost, but you're throwing away chances to improve. Use the throwaway shots to work on little things. Use it as a dry run for the next hole.

Terrific advice on a number of levels, and so I regret to say that I completely get what Wasserman-Shultz is saying here.

I'd suggest the range and practice green before the match. Maybe you would have a chance of winning.

I'll be out of the state next week at a conference, so had to go down to the Municipal Clerk's office to vote early (glad they allow that).

However what I found interesting was that I had to pay for parking. Was I just disenfranchised?!?! I mean, I had to put a quarter into the meter just so I could vote. And voting is a RIGHT, dammit, I shouldn't have to PAY for it. I want my quarter back! :angry: /sarcasm

I'll be out of the state next week at a conference, so had to go down to the Municipal Clerk's office to vote early (glad they allow that).

However what I found interesting was that I had to pay for parking. Was I just disenfranchised?!?! I mean, I had to put a quarter into the meter just so I could vote. And voting is a RIGHT, dammit, I shouldn't have to PAY for it. I want my quarter back! :angry: /sarcasm

You didn't have to pay... You could just parked there for free and risked getting the ticket. Who says you had to pay to vote? Take the ticket (if you would even get one) and fight that battle later.

Don't you live in MN?