WR Success Rate

According to research from ESPN Florida's Charlie Bernstein, only 40 percent (18 of 45) wide receivers drafted in the first round from 2000-2010 have panned out.

One ray of light is that seven of the past eight first-round receivers have been solid. Bernstein finds that second-round receivers have a 22.4 percent (11 of 49) hit rate while those drafted in the third round succeed at just 15 percent (8 of 55). Of the 215 receivers drafted from Rounds 4-7, only 14 (6.5 percent) have emerged as solid contributors.

Not trying to not believe in our F.O but if we want an impact wideout week one I have a feeling its Floyd or bust. Just my opinion. Still think it'll be Kuechly.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to research from ESPN Florida's Charlie Bernstein, only 40 percent (18 of 45) wide receivers drafted in the first round from 2000-2010 have panned out.

One ray of light is that seven of the past eight first-round receivers have been solid. Bernstein finds that second-round receivers have a 22.4 percent (11 of 49) hit rate while those drafted in the third round succeed at just 15 percent (8 of 55). Of the 215 receivers drafted from Rounds 4-7, only 14 (6.5 percent) have emerged as solid contributors.

Not trying to not believe in our F.O but if we want an impact wideout week one I have a feeling its Floyd or bust. Just my opinion. Still think it'll be Kuechly.

I think you're right that it will be Kuechly. Just remember that we have had success at WR outside of the 1st round (Reed, Beebe, Johnson).

Edited by jjmac

I think you're right that it will be Kuechly. Just remember that we have had success at WR outside of the 1st round (Reed, Beebe, Johnson).

What do Reed and Beebe have to do with the current the current front office? Every team has had some success finding receivers over a 20 year period. The fact is, most don't pan out. That's why it's prudent to select the Best Player Available.

As far as the LT effecting the receivers career, it's more likely a QB problem.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

I heard from someone who would know that OBD has high hopes for Marcus Easley in 2012. They expect him to make things happen.

PTR

I've been pounding this drum since last off-season. I just have a feeling the kid has matured, gotten an opportunity to watch the pros for two seasons, and is ready to break out. His physical tools are stud-worthy.

I've been pounding this drum since last off-season. I just have a feeling the kid has matured, gotten an opportunity to watch the pros for two seasons, and is ready to break out. His physical tools are stud-worthy.

Agreed. Assuming his health issues are all set and I have no reason to think they aren't, I think Easley would have a bigger impact for the offense this year than any receiver we could draft other than Blackmon.

It is interesting seeing as though The highest Draft WR on the Bills Roster right now is the Journeyman Hagan who was a 3rd Round Pick...The highest Bills Draft Pick on the Roster is Easley...A 4th Round Pick... B-)

You know that 40% is an awesome hit rate for any position in the draft.

That has to be one of the highest success rates of any position.

Are you advocating drafting a WR or not?

Edited by Why So Serious?

I'm sure the first round is better for every position. What makes this draft different is that there is more WR depth THIS YEAR whereas it variess from year to year.

WR is a sexy pick...

Kuelchy is just as sexy...

But, what is NOT as sexy is if Buffalo pulls BPA--which they will--the pick could either be Barron or Gilmore!

In 8 days after the Bills pick, I'm imagining at least 40 venting posts dedicated to the same thing...the Buffalo Bills selecting not a WR, OT or LB--but, SS and/or CB!

This could happen...or it could not...but, when you boil it down it would not surprise me to see them select Barron or Gilmore!

Edit: within the past few days I've heard Gil Brandt, Gosselin and several other mock gurus talk/write about Gilmore and Barron being the surprise top ten picks

Edited by KollegeStudnet

You know that 40% is an awesome hit rate for any position in the draft.

That has to be one of the highest success rates of any position.

Are you advocating drafting a WR or not?

Agreed. I'd like to see the hit rates of some other positions to compare. Overall, I think Nix is right, that the WRs are the deepest position this year.

I heard from someone who would know that OBD has high hopes for Marcus Easley in 2012. They expect him to make things happen.

PTR

Am I the only one who is concerned about his heart condition? Seems to me that those kinda problems don't heal. Though, I wish him the best, he looks like a potential stud receiver.

WR is a sexy pick...

Kuelchy is just as sexy...

But, what is NOT as sexy is if Buffalo pulls BPA--which they will--the pick could either be Barron or Gilmore!

In 8 days after the Bills pick, I'm imagining at least 40 venting posts dedicated to the same thing...the Buffalo Bills selecting not a WR, OT or LB--but, SS and/or CB!

This could happen...or it could not...but, when you boil it down it would not surprise me to see them select Barron or Gilmore!

Edit: within the past few days I've heard Gil Brandt, Gosselin and several other mock gurus talk/write about Gilmore and Barron being the surprise top ten picks

I would think most people on this board would be happy with Gilmore. Fills a need, can start right away, deals with the division's tough WRs.

What do Reed and Beebe have to do with the current the current front office? Every team has had some success finding receivers over a 20 year period. The fact is, most don't pan out. That's why it's prudent to select the Best Player Available.

As far as the LT effecting the receivers career, it's more likely a QB problem.

I'm not arguing that point. All I'm saying is that if we don't draft a WR in the 1st round, it is not the end of the world as we know it.

Am I the only one who is concerned about his heart condition? Seems to me that those kinda problems don't heal. Though, I wish him the best, he looks like a potential stud receiver.

He is medically cleared to play football. If the problem was still there, he wouldn't be able to get medical clearance.