WR Success Rate

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no way the Bills draft Floyd with the amount of red flags that pop up.

he may be physically gifted, but his numerous infractions are way too much to gamble on

Can you please enlighten to what his numerous infractions are?

I heard from someone who would know that OBD has high hopes for Marcus Easley in 2012. They expect him to make things happen.

PTR

The doctors are especially high on making alot of money on easley this year! With his health issues he is a new car every year for his doctor :rolleyes:

I would think most people on this board would be happy with Gilmore. Fills a need, can start right away, deals with the division's tough WRs.

I'm in the same boat! Still after the Bills pick, there will be some TSWers...being Debbie Downers next Friday night...

Can you please enlighten to what his numerous infractions are?

DUI and caught underage drinking twice

I'm in the same boat! Still after the Bills pick, there will be some TSWers...being Debbie Downers next Friday night...

The odds of Gilmore or Kirkpatrick being the pick are growing, as It seems almost certain Floyd will be off the board not to mention Floyd didn't visit OBD.

Gilmore or Kirkpatrick will most likely be a solid pick.

However the entire Bills Community is going to say "NOT ANOTHER DB!!!!"

Edited by Why So Serious?

I would seriously hope, considering the current state of the division and what team is atop it, most Bills fans would at least understand the concept of picking a CB at #10 overall.

There will be the educated fans that Understand McGee is approaching retirement and appears to have dropped off, Florence is approaching retirement, McKelvin appears to be incapable of learning how to turn his head and identify the ball while covering, and Aaron Williams is an unknown but looks like he cold be 1 solid starter.

Meaning that there is a big need and CB that Gilmore or Kirkpatrick would meet.

the Uneducated will be screaming "NOT ANOTHER DB!!! I THOUGHT WE GOT RID OF JOURON!"

I would seriously hope, considering the current state of the division and what team is atop it, most Bills fans would at least understand the concept of picking a CB at #10 overall.

A lot of the resistance to taking a CB in the first round is that during the post-Polian era, the Bills have traditionally allowed their first round CBs to go first-contract-and-out. Then additional first round picks would be used to replace the guys who'd just departed.

Over the last 40 years, the Bills have used 25% of their first picks of the draft on RBs, and another 25% on DBs. Clearly that's unacceptable, and is a major reason why this franchise has a losing record.

But if the Bills take a CB 10th overall, if he plays at a level consistent with his draft position, and if he stays here his whole career, I'd be fine with the pick.

The odds of Gilmore or Kirkpatrick being the pick are growing, as It seems almost certain Floyd will be off the board not to mention Floyd didn't visit OBD.

Not necessarily...most of us realize that we could use at least one CB this draft.

IIRC, Buddy did say that they went to his pro day and talked to him at the combine...visit or not, that does count for something...

The pick at 10 will be between those 3, I still say that if Floyd is there, they may pull the trigger. I read a report (I forgot where) that said the Jags are very high on Gilmore...

This is going to be an interesting draft...

IIRC, Buddy did say that they went to his pro day and talked to him at the combine...visit or not, that does count for something...

The pick at 10 will be between those 3, I still say that if Floyd is there, they may pull the trigger. I read a report (I forgot where) that said the Jags are very high on Gilmore...

This is going to be an interesting draft...

The post-pick conversation will be equally interesting.

The post-pick conversation will be equally interesting.

I would love Floyd, I honestly think the kid is going to be a great player. I also would be shocked if Gilmore and Kirkpatrick don't pan out...

But I trust Buddy in finding talent; last years draft was excellent and his FA pickups have been great. Unless the pick comes out of left field, there shouldn't be too many people screaming or whining that "their" player didn't get picked. All I am hoping for is an impact player at #10...

I would love Floyd, I honestly think the kid is going to be a great player. I also would be shocked if Gilmore and Kirkpatrick don't pan out...

But I trust Buddy in finding talent; last years draft was excellent and his FA pickups have been great. Unless the pick comes out of left field, there shouldn't be too many people screaming or whining that "their" player didn't get picked. All I am hoping for is an impact player at #10...

Yet, you know that it will happen. What I think a lot of people don't realize is that there is a number of people that can impact for us, not just one player.

Yet, you know that it will happen. What I think a lot of people don't realize is that there is a number of people that can impact for us, not just one player.

Oh it is definitely going to happen and I almost said that in my response...

There are only a few positions I wouldn't want to see us take (QB, C/G, S, DE, DT). IMO, Tannehill is a couple years away from starting. BUddy already has been on the record not liking the DL talent at #10 and I know Decastro will be a good/great player, but that still seems to high for a G for me...

Aside from Luck and RG3, 1 of the top remaining 8 will be there (Claiborne, Richardson, Kalil, Blackmon, Floyd, Gilmore, Kirkpatrick, Kuechly)...

If Richardson fell and we grabbed him, it wouldn't be the end of the world. I know we need a LT, but after Kalil, I could really see this group sliding in the first round (it happens to one position every year and I suspect that it will be the Tackles). I think Glenn might be turnout well and Martin needs more strength - I don't see any tackle besides Kalil being able to start this season. If we took an LT at 10, I would understand it but not love it...

Even Kuechly can start right away or come off the bench (not a pick I love, you can find more than adequate LBs in mid-rounds)

I do think there is a drop off after Floyd in WR and I am not sure if I would say the remaining WRs are first round talent. Trying to project a WR's success is a crap shoot. If he is there, I would take him, but if we pass on him for Gilmore or Kirkpatrick - I see all 3 of them being able to start or off the bench in Nickle situations. I would be ok with it as long as we can get a similarly sized WR who can catch, out-jump DBs and run block later on. A WR like that is what we need. In each draft there is always a position that a run happens with and reaches are made, I think that some second round WR talent will creep into the first round and this is a position where there is a potential for such a run. Teams in RD1 that want a WR after Floyd is gone, may not be in a position in RD2 to grab the next tier...

But like I said above, I trust our FO to make the right calls. Not since the Polian/Butler days have I had this much faith in our FO...

I've been pounding this drum since last off-season. I just have a feeling the kid has matured, gotten an opportunity to watch the pros for two seasons, and is ready to break out. His physical tools are stud-worthy.

Easley?

Still, you'd rather not put all your eggs in that basket. The Bills have a lot of pretenders at wideout but only one contender.

Maybe one of the unprovens will rise from the group but I certainly hope they add another receiver to the mix… however study be damned, not in the first round.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

There will be the educated fans that Understand McGee is approaching retirement and appears to have dropped off, Florence is approaching retirement, McKelvin appears to be incapable of learning how to turn his head and identify the ball while covering, and Aaron Williams is an unknown but looks like he cold be 1 solid starter.

Meaning that there is a big need and CB that Gilmore or Kirkpatrick would meet.

the Uneducated will be screaming "NOT ANOTHER DB!!! I THOUGHT WE GOT RID OF JOURON!"

Well count me in that crowd. Not because we dont need to get some younger cb's, but becuase means we are following same trends over and over. While yes they are getting older, they still should have 2 years left before start to decline. We have too many needs at other positions for starters, to draft starters for an already solid area IMO. Yes take a CB in top 4 rounds, but not with top pick please.

Not to mention we drafted one with 2nd pick last year, we giving up on him already?

Well count me in that crowd. Not because we dont need to get some younger cb's, but becuase means we are following same trends over and over. While yes they are getting older, they still should have 2 years left before start to decline. We have too many needs at other positions for starters, to draft starters for an already solid area IMO. Yes take a CB in top 4 rounds, but not with top pick please.

Not to mention we drafted one with 2nd pick last year, we giving up on him already?

It is a trend because the cost a crap load of cash in FA and we have let our players leave (Winfield, Clements, Greer). Buddy likes to resign our players. I know others on here hate how much top CBs cost, but they can be worth it and if they aren't a bust are a game changing position.

Questions: McKelvin is solid? Can McGee stay healthy?

Answers: nope, also in the last year of his contract & he hasn't in a long time.

Buddy seems to be worried about it:

"Bills GM Buddy Nix at the team’s draft luncheon Wednesday outlined the problems the secondary ran into the past few years when injuries struck the unit.

“We can’t get caught… I don’t want to get us in a position that we were in last year and the year before where if we get one hurt that it’s a big problem,” he said. ”You lose the ability to compete, so we’re going to try to fix that. We do need some depth in some places in the secondary and you’d always like to have a shut down corner that you can get and put over there to start with and not worry about that side. We will try to add some secondary guys.”

Oh it is definitely going to happen and I almost said that in my response...

There are only a few positions I wouldn't want to see us take (QB, C/G, S, DE, DT). IMO, Tannehill is a couple years away from starting. BUddy already has been on the record not liking the DL talent at #10 and I know Decastro will be a good/great player, but that still seems to high for a G for me...

Aside from Luck and RG3, 1 of the top remaining 8 will be there (Claiborne, Richardson, Kalil, Blackmon, Floyd, Gilmore, Kirkpatrick, Kuechly)...

If Richardson fell and we grabbed him, it wouldn't be the end of the world. I know we need a LT, but after Kalil, I could really see this group sliding in the first round (it happens to one position every year and I suspect that it will be the Tackles). I think Glenn might be turnout well and Martin needs more strength - I don't see any tackle besides Kalil being able to start this season. If we took an LT at 10, I would understand it but not love it...

Even Kuechly can start right away or come off the bench (not a pick I love, you can find more than adequate LBs in mid-rounds)

I do think there is a drop off after Floyd in WR and I am not sure if I would say the remaining WRs are first round talent. Trying to project a WR's success is a crap shoot. If he is there, I would take him, but if we pass on him for Gilmore or Kirkpatrick - I see all 3 of them being able to start or off the bench in Nickle situations. I would be ok with it as long as we can get a similarly sized WR who can catch, out-jump DBs and run block later on. A WR like that is what we need. In each draft there is always a position that a run happens with and reaches are made, I think that some second round WR talent will creep into the first round and this is a position where there is a potential for such a run. Teams in RD1 that want a WR after Floyd is gone, may not be in a position in RD2 to grab the next tier...

But like I said above, I trust our FO to make the right calls. Not since the Polian/Butler days have I had this much faith in our FO...

I agree with you there, but there are quite a few on this board who do not share that sentiment.

Draft the BPA. Things have a habit of changing. What was once a dire need can change and what was a position of strength can change. Lets face it, the latter is pretty rare on the Bills current roster. You could make a logical argument for any position filled by the Bills'selection in round 1.

Drafting for need ahead of projections, by definition, reduces the quality of the players you drafted. There are obvious exceptions to every rule but I am for the Bills taking the person that has the best chance to be pro bowl type player for many years.

I am for Floyd but I won't be pissed at any of the usual suspects mentioned in this thread.

As for Easley, didn't the Bills make a play for Meachem this off season? If that is true, they are looking to upgrade the current depth chart at WR.

Who knows what will happen this weekend, it is going to be fun.

It is a trend because the cost a crap load of cash in FA and we have let our players leave (Winfield, Clements, Greer). Buddy likes to resign our players. I know others on here hate how much top CBs cost, but they can be worth it and if they aren't a bust are a game changing position.

Questions: McKelvin is solid? Can McGee stay healthy?

Answers: nope, also in the last year of his contract & he hasn't in a long time.

Buddy seems to be worried about it:

"Bills GM Buddy Nix at the team’s draft luncheon Wednesday outlined the problems the secondary ran into the past few years when injuries struck the unit.

“We can’t get caught… I don’t want to get us in a position that we were in last year and the year before where if we get one hurt that it’s a big problem,” he said. ”You lose the ability to compete, so we’re going to try to fix that. We do need some depth in some places in the secondary and you’d always like to have a shut down corner that you can get and put over there to start with and not worry about that side. We will try to add some secondary guys.”

Didnt say we shouldnt draft another corner, we do every year, but dont think should do in first round. We just invested a high 2nd rounder on a cb last year, and we have huge needs for LT, 2nd WR, and OLB that need to be addressed as well. With the improved passrush, our secondarys job should get easier, since opposing QB's shouldnt be able to sit back and pick them apart at thier leasure anymore. If point to injuries as reason, then that makes the other positions that much more needy than CB, cuase we have allot less depth in other areas as well. Have 3 capable of starting, and 2nd rounder who finally gets a full offseason back.