Do the Patriots have a bye before the play us EVERY YEAR?

Yes--more importantly for the way this "arrangement" probably works, I think that the Cheats* do. Hey, smart guy, do the math on the odds of this happening randomly 4 years in a row. It's an easy calculation--1 over (8*8*8*8), or roughly 1 in 4000. That's not even throwing in it happening again to us this year (after we beat them once last year and had them down 21-0 at home) and them also getting the Fins after a bye the year after Miami won the AFCE. If, bearing in mind this team's recent history, you don't think that's all kind of funny, I don't really know what to tell you, other than to wonder whether you still believe in Santa Claus, too.....

Personally I doubt it--I also wonder why the Pats* "had" to have a later bye week each year, while the Bills "had" to have an early one. Isn't that also an advantage to the Cheats*, as I'd personally like my bye week as late into the season as possible?

Is the idea to help the Patriots, or screw the Bills, or a little bit of both? And is this a directive you would say that comes all the way from the top, ordered by The Commish, or somewhat of a rogue force that infests only the scheduling committee?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, when something involving a known cheating team happens that's less statistically likely than Homer Simpson going a whole episode without saying "D'oh", I'd say yes.....

Never said that for all 4 years, but you may recall that the 2004 team was one of the early Spikes/Fletcher/Bledsoe teams (what a disappointment that turned out to be) and one of the relevant years in question we were 9-7 and apparently on the upswing. Also recall that the rest of the division was putrid during that stretch....

Then why did they do it those other years? What is the point of this conspiracy if not what you claimed already?

Yes, when something involving a known cheating team happens that's less statistically likely than Homer Simpson going a whole episode without saying "D'oh", I'd say yes.....

Never said that for all 4 years, but you may recall that the 2004 team was one of the early Spikes/Fletcher/Bledsoe teams (what a disappointment that turned out to be) and one of the relevant years in question we were 9-7 and apparently on the upswing. Also recall that the rest of the division was putrid during that stretch....

Wouldn't it have helped them more to beat the Jets or the Dolphins who are bigger rivals and bigger threats to ruin their league sponsored supremacy?

Is the idea to help the Patriots, or screw the Bills, or a little bit of both? And is this a directive you would say that comes all the way from the top, ordered by The Commish, or somewhat of a rogue force that infests only the scheduling committee?

Whatever's most likely--all facts considered, if I had to guess I'd say help the Pats* and be done by someone (i.e., an individual) with schedule control or influence on the take. After all, why not? As some may recall, Marv (God love him) didn't even notice this anomaly when he was titular head of the organization until someone pointed it out to him. Kind of like taking candy from a baby....

Then why did they do it those other years? What is the point of this conspiracy if not what you claimed already?

Did you read the part about the rest of the division being pretty putrid (i.e., a crapshoot).

To turn this around, you really think this is random? 4,000 to 1 odds of it happening randomly and involving a team known to cheat in at least one way and suspected of doing anything for an advantage, fair or foul (see reports of headsets cutting out at Gillette, etc. Please don't make me refind the NYT article detailing the charges again--Rodney Harrison getting busted for HGH only because he used his own name, all on a team known for "cagey vets" who seem to find a second career in New England)?

Wouldn't it have helped them more to beat the Jets or the Dolphins who are bigger rivals and bigger threats to ruin their league sponsored supremacy?

Please see my post above about the historical context of the 4 years in question.

Edited by MattM

Whatever's most likely--all facts considered, if I had to guess I'd say help the Pats* and be done by someone (i.e., an individual) with schedule control or influence on the take. After all, why not? As some may recall, Marv (got love him) didn't even notice this anomaly when he was titular head of the organization until someone pointed it out to him. Kind of like taking candy from a baby....

Maybe Marv didn't notice because he didn't think it made a difference.

You still haven't been able to articulate an advantage for the pats for those "4 years in a row".

Are you also saying the pats are making the NFL schedule themselves?

Edited by Mr. WEO

You still haven't been able to articulate an advantage for the pats for those "4 years in a row".

Sure I did--division games are the most valuable games on one's schedule for obvious reasons and please read the umpteen posts above for the rest. It may not be what you agree with, but it's all up above.

How many have the Cheats* had after byes lately? Without even looking we know it's been at least 5. BTW, last year they got the Steelers, always a bit of a revenge game for them considering the recent rivalry, and in 2010, they got the Ravens, who'd ended their season the year before in the playoffs. Over the last 11 years in addition to the 5 division games and Stillers, Crows games they also got the Cowboys, Broncos, Panthers and Niners after they bye.

How many have the Bills had? Have we ever even had any? We've had one AFCE game after they bye in the last 11 years. Interestingly it was against the Pats* in 2004, one of the 4 years in a row in question, so let's call that 3 and a half.....

Are you also saying the pats are making the NFL schedule themselves?

Unfortunately, I think Marv didn't notice because Marv at that age didn't notice--he actually thought it interesting when it was pointed out to him in the interview if I recall correctly.

As for the bolded part you added, please see my other reply above. I'm not claiming to "know" anything about this, only pointing out for all the reasons laid out above that this seems beyond the statistical pale to be mere coincidence. It could be, but then it would be about a 1 in 4000 case of such coincidence.....

Sure I did--division games are the most valuable games on one's schedule for obvious reasons and please read the umpteen posts above for the rest. It may not be what you agree with, but it's all up above.

How many have the Cheats* had after byes lately? Without even looking we know it's been at least 5. BTW, last year they got the Steelers, always a bit of a revenge game for them considering the recent rivalry, and in 2010, they got the Ravens, who'd ended their season the year before in the playoffs. Over the last 11 years in addition to the 5 division games and Stillers, Crows games they also got the Cowboys, Broncos, Panthers and Niners after they bye.

How many have the Bills had? Have we ever even had any? We've had one AFCE game after they bye in the last 11 years. Interestingly it was against the Pats* in 2004, one of the 4 years in a row in question, so let's call that 3 and a half.....

But why always a bye before the Bills?

But why always a bye before the Bills?

As noted above, in at least 3 of the 5 years in question we were considered a main challenger in the Division. Other years they've gotten the Fins (the year after they won the division), the Steelers, Ravens, Broncos and Cowboys, among others (only twice did they get traditionally "weak" teams--Panthers and Niners--outside the Bills). I'm too lazy to see if those "weak" teams were supposed to be good the years in question, but you're smart enough to get the drift....

Are people actually thinking the league conspires to help the New England Patriots each year beat the Buffalo Bills by intentionally sticking the bye week for the Patriots just before they play the Bills?

Really?

Seriously?

With a straight face?

Did crayonz put you guys up to this?

The point is not to draw conclusions as to why, which is unknowable to us armchair hacks, but to point out that it is, in fact, statistically significant. 5/9 seasons - find another divisional rivalry anywhere in the NFL that has had that one-sided luxury that frequently. You can squawk at allegations of the WHY or WHO of it, but you can't deny that it's there, for whatever reason.

Edited by nodnarb

I'm not going to pretend to know what the reason, if there is one at all, that this keeps happening but it is a little more than odd how often we have to play New England off their bye. You don't have to buy any kind of conspiracy theory to at least admit it's strange. .

The point is not to draw conclusions as to why, which is unknowable to us armchair hacks, but to point out that it is, in fact, statistically significant. 5/9 seasons - find another divisional rivalry anywhere in the NFL that has had that one-sided luxury that frequently. You can squawk at allegations of the WHY or WHO of it, but you can't deny that it's there, for whatever reason.

Is it really a rivalry though? They own us. They've won three Super Bowls while we haven't made the playoffs in over a decade. I don't think Belechick needed an extra week to out-strategize Mularkey or Jauron.

This just seems unreal. This happens every year. Simply amazing.

Uh ....YES! Seriously it feels like every year they have 2 weeks to rest and prepare for us. This is what it is to be a Bills fan to have that perception and persecution complex. You're not paranoid if they really are out to get you! :w00t:

If anything, putting a team your already familiar with and likely to beat anyway hurts the pats.

Look, this conspiracy theory doesn't hold water, and I think everyone knows that. But having an additional week to rest, recover, and prepare for a divisional foe (even one you are likely to beat), who, if an away game, is only a short commuter flight away is definitely a convenience. If you're confident in your chances, it's an extended holiday-- like having nothing of significance due the Monday after a long weekend. If you're not as confident, it's an added week to gameplan, prepare, and get healthy.

I don't believe for a moment that the NFL has conspired to give the Pats* an edge, it's just a nice break for a team that catches a lot of them.

Edited by habes1280

Whatever's most likely--all facts considered, if I had to guess I'd say help the Pats* and be done by someone (i.e., an individual) with schedule control or influence on the take. After all, why not? As some may recall, Marv (God love him) didn't even notice this anomaly when he was titular head of the organization until someone pointed it out to him. Kind of like taking candy from a baby....

Did you read the part about the rest of the division being pretty putrid (i.e., a crapshoot).

To turn this around, you really think this is random? 4,000 to 1 odds of it happening randomly and involving a team known to cheat in at least one way and suspected of doing anything for an advantage, fair or foul (see reports of headsets cutting out at Gillette, etc. Please don't make me refind the NYT article detailing the charges again--Rodney Harrison getting busted for HGH only because he used his own name, all on a team known for "cagey vets" who seem to find a second career in New England)?

Please see my post above about the historical context of the 4 years in question.

To be fair, as someone else noted im sure guys get certain tendencies with setting the schedule - ways they pattern primetime, and division/rivalry games for TV as we have both fit pretty standard roles of "superbowl contender with lots of network time" and "haven't made the playoffs in over a decade and very few prime games" that we have fit into the basic form they use. You'd be hard pressed to find two teams that have been more consistent the last ten years. I in no way think this is someone out to get us. We haven't earned that kind of respect.

Personally I doubt it--I also wonder why the Pats* "had" to have a later bye week each year, while the Bills "had" to have an early one. Isn't that also an advantage to the Cheats*, as I'd personally like my bye week as late into the season as possible?

I am under the impression that the teams that make the playoffs etc., get their byes later the next season. The lowest finishers in the divisions get byes earlier etc. This is not always the case, and is certainly subject to scheduling conflicts, etc., but, in general, this is the case. Pretty sure that's right.

If it is, then it's no surprise that the Pats, who have won the divisions a lot in the last 9 years, *had* to have their bye later than the Bills....whose standing in the division over the last 9 years has been :bag:

The thinking behind this is: having to play more games in a row leaves a lot less room for adjustment. Whereas, if you have an early bye, and are a bad team....it's a lot easier to change QBs, Defenses, etc....with that extra week off earlier in the season. Also, if you include training camp, it's easier on the players health wise to get an earlier break.

As you say, there's an argument on the other side of this as well.

I don't think it's random. But, I also don't think its random for the reasons you say = fix is in. I think that if you are looking for conspiracy anywhere, the most likely place to find it is in how the NFL, TV Networks, and especially, the NFL Network itself, is manipulating the schedule to try and constantly stack up the most viewers possible per game. If anything, the fix is in for $$$$, and I don't blame them for that. Why the hell shouldn't they max out the revenue per game?

The real conspiracy here: After losing the battle with the cable companies, the NFL is trying to build value into the NFL Network....so that more of us choose to pay extra on our cable bills for it. This is why every team now has to play at least one Thursday game this year. It's also the reason why match ups of likely playoff teams happen later in the season, so that they can be flexed to Sunday night.

I think that the scheduling people have a hell of mess on their hands trying to plan each season, given all of the requirements we know about...and the ones we don't know about, like whatever the TV people are saying about each game, etc.. To combat that, they re-use patterns or segments of the schedule from 4 years ago(the last time all these divisions lined up) etc. that worked last time around. Why would you want to re-invent the wheel every year?

I suppose I am arguing utility is a more probable reason for why parts of the schedule repeat, that conspiracy.

Look, this conspiracy theory doesn't hold water, and I think everyone knows that. But having an additional week to rest, recover, and prepare for a divisional foe (even one you are likely to beat), who, if an away game, is only a short commuter flight away is definitely a convenience. If you're confident in your chances, it's an extended holiday-- like having nothing of significance due the Monday after a long weekend. If you're not as confident, it's an added week to gameplan, prepare, and get healthy.

I don't believe for a moment that the NFL has conspired to give the Pats* an edge, it's just a nice break for a team that catches a lot of them.

How many such "breaks" does a team need to get before people start calling "fire" from the "smoke" is the question (and we haven't even brought up the ridiculous officiating in their games yet--oops, I guess we just did).....

I am under the impression that the teams that make the playoffs etc., get their byes later the next season. The lowest finishers in the divisions get byes earlier etc. This is not always the case, and is certainly subject to scheduling conflicts, etc., but, in general, this is the case. Pretty sure that's right.

If it is, then it's no surprise that the Pats, who have won the divisions a lot in the last 9 years, *had* to have their bye later than the Bills....whose standing in the division over the last 9 years has been :bag:

The thinking behind this is: having to play more games in a row leaves a lot less room for adjustment. Whereas, if you have an early bye, and are a bad team....it's a lot easier to change QBs, Defenses, etc....with that extra week off earlier in the season. Also, if you include training camp, it's easier on the players health wise to get an earlier break.

As you say, there's an argument on the other side of this as well.

I don't think it's random. But, I also don't think its random for the reasons you say = fix is in. I think that if you are looking for conspiracy anywhere, the most likely place to find it is in how the NFL, TV Networks, and especially, the NFL Network itself, is manipulating the schedule to try and constantly stack up the most viewers possible per game. If anything, the fix is in for $$$$, and I don't blame them for that. Why the hell shouldn't they max out the revenue per game?

The real conspiracy here: After losing the battle with the cable companies, the NFL is trying to build value into the NFL Network....so that more of us choose to pay extra on our cable bills for it. This is why every team now has to play at least one Thursday game this year. It's also the reason why match ups of likely playoff teams happen later in the season, so that they can be flexed to Sunday night.

I think that the scheduling people have a hell of mess on their hands trying to plan each season, given all of the requirements we know about...and the ones we don't know about, like whatever the TV people are saying about each game, etc.. To combat that, they re-use patterns or segments of the schedule from 4 years ago(the last time all these divisions lined up) etc. that worked last time around. Why would you want to re-invent the wheel every year?

I suppose I am arguing utility is a more probable reason for why parts of the schedule repeat, that conspiracy.

I still really don't see how any of those factors leads to the Pats* being more likely to play us and other good teams after their bye. If it figures into this at all, it's on the margins (say 1 in 4100 chance to 1 in 3900 chance). What may figure in is the fact that NE* gets more games against better quality opponents since they play a first place schedule each year. That said, since we also play them twice a year to make up for that, we play almost as many "good" teams each year, but seem to come nowhere close to having as many "good" teams or divisional games after byes.

All things considered, it looks to me like New England seems to get a say in who they play after their bye a good bit of the time. Either that, or it's a heckuva large coincidence....

How many such "breaks" does a team need to get before people start calling "fire" from the "smoke" is the question (and we haven't even brought up the ridiculous officiating in their games yet--oops, I guess we just did).....

I still really don't see how any of those factors leads to the Pats* being more likely to play us and other good teams after their bye. If it figures into this at all, it's on the margins (say 1 in 4100 chance to 1 in 3900 chance). What may figure in is the fact that NE* gets more games against better quality opponents since they play a first place schedule each year. That said, since we also play them twice a year to make up for that, we play almost as many "good" teams each year, but seem to come nowhere close to having as many "good" teams or divisional games after byes.

All things considered, it looks to me like New England seems to get a say in who they play after their bye a good bit of the timet. Either that, or it's a heckuva large coincidence....

Then why on earth would they chose a team they have beaten routinely for years? Your theory is based on the assumption that an extra week of preparation will help defeat a tough foe. The majority here have pointed out to you that the Bills have proven to be anything but that (your ridiculous claims that they have been considered the 2nd best team in the AFCE not withstanding).

Give it up. You continue to make no sense.

Then why on earth would they chose a team they have beaten routinely for years? Your theory is based on the assumption that an extra week of preparation will help defeat a tough foe. The majority here have pointed out to you that the Bills have proven to be anything but that (your ridiculous claims that they have been considered the 2nd best team in the AFCE not withstanding).

So it's a coincidence then that they seem to get to play more meaningful games after byes than other teams, including a 1 in 4100 probability of playing a particular divisional foe 4 times in a row and 5 times in 9 years, with 3 of those other 9 years getting to play the prior Year's division winner and two perennial playoff rivals? OK, believe that if you want. Back to work for me.....

All things considered, it looks to me like New England seems to get a say in who they play after their bye a good bit of the time. Either that, or it's a heckuva large coincidence....

That's basically what I said above. I don't deny there's a hell of a coincidence, and I hate coincidences...but I also think there's a lot to this.

If nothing else, I think an interesting show on the NFL network, which I refuse to pay for, would be to see how the schedule gets built. If there's nothing nefarious going on, why not show us what does go on? Afraid the fans may get upset? Yeah, that would be awful for the ratings. :D

What good does it do them then? If someone was looking to give them an advantage why wouldn't they give them a bye before a more difficult opponent, instead of one they have beaten, what--14 of the last 16 times?

Your conspiracy theory lacks a certain...logic.

Which is a means to what ends?

The post below is very close to what happens imo. I don't think its a nefarious screw the Bills plan, I think it is a give the Pats* a break plan. Coming off of a bye is about a 50% chance to get a win. Sometimes your team is prepared and sometimes it is still taking a vacation. If you are given a cupcake (sorry that is what the Bills have been) then your chances of winning and getting ready for the next part of your season are increased (chalking up a division win doesn't hurt either). It isn't because the Bills have been good it's because they have been bad. Here is a link..

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2011/10/30/numbers-game-bye-week-blues/

I don't trust Robert Kraft one bit and think he does have some say-so with the league. I also don't trust anything cheatriots. I will however say that it is done imo more to hook up the pats* than screw the Bills. I think the scenarios laid out of them getting other teams (when it isn't Buffalo) isn't far off either of giving them a better shot against tough competition. That's the part that stands out to me - no matter who the opponent is it seems to benfit the Pats* in some way.

Perhaps you haven't considered the less nefarious causes behind this?

Every year the same people do the schedule. This means that after so many years of doing this, they are bound to find ways to make it easier, and, to also account for things like what to do with a team who just played Monday Night on the road, across the country, etc. Like everything else, I am sure that patterns have formed, shortcuts, etc., and that these people have seen how to use them to make the job go faster.

One of those patterns, since the Pats have had to have their bye week later than everybody else in the division, for literally all 9 years we are talking about here, is probably to bye them before they play all of their division opponents the second time...or, at least try to.

Meanwhile, since the Bills have more often than not had to have their bye early....they are the most eligible team for the Pats** to play after the bye....as were the Dolfags last year.*

It might be as simple as that.

*I have a "every 3rd time I refer to a team in our division, I modify their name appropriately", rule. Hey, it's not every time. It's every 3rd time.

I checked the Bills 2008 schedule against the 2012 and literally the only game that was the same is week 10 against the Pats* on the road. It wasn't however after the Pats* bye. The only other game the Pats* have that is the same is week 8 against the Rams (this year is the london game) and week 10 against the Bills.

Maybe this is the league's attempt to punish the Pats ... you know, give them a bye week before a game when they really don't need it.

Don't you think the Pats would prefer a bye against another team ... maybe to get the D ready for the Broncos, for example? I can't see Kraft going to the league office demanding a bye against a team that hasn't been to the playoffs this century.

I fail to see the conspiracy.

Plus, teams sometimes play better when they are not coming off the bye ...

Any W against the Pats is huge though.

Edited by DC Bills Fan

Don't waste your time, MattM.

The Pats** love on this board is just too strong.

Yes, the reason we are suggesting alternative scenarios is.....we are Pats fans in disguise....and not because....

....we are trying to help you with your....paranoia.

The reason your monitor flickers every once in a while? That's me, watching you. Btw, you need to lose a few pounds, that sweater vest has to go, and no, wearing that scarf doesn't make you look erudite. That girl will never be into you as long as you keep wearing it to the coffee shop. And, yeah, it's time to get a new laptop...but...understand, I will be present on that one as well...way before you even buy it.

The post below is very close to what happens imo. I don't think its a nefarious screw the Bills plan, I think it is a give the Pats* a break plan. Coming off of a bye is about a 50% chance to get a win. Sometimes your team is prepared and sometimes it is still taking a vacation. If you are given a cupcake (sorry that is what the Bills have been) then your chances of winning and getting ready for the next part of your season are increased (chalking up a division win doesn't hurt either). It isn't because the Bills have been good it's because they have been bad. Here is a link..

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2011/10/30/numbers-game-bye-week-blues/

I don't trust Robert Kraft one bit and think he does have some say-so with the league. I also don't trust anything cheatriots. I will however say that it is done imo more to hook up the pats* than screw the Bills. I think the scenarios laid out of them getting other teams (when it isn't Buffalo) isn't far off either of giving them a better shot against tough competition. That's the part that stands out to me - no matter who the opponent is it seems to benfit the Pats* in some way.

I checked the Bills 2008 schedule against the 2012 and literally the only game that was the same is week 10 against the Pats* on the road. It wasn't however after the Pats* bye. The only other game the Pats* have that is the same is week 8 against the Rams (this year is the london game) and week 10 against the Bills.

I know this is going to sound snarkier than i mean it to, but....

essentially you just laid out that they get us because we are bad, the other half of the time they get teams because they are good, and that the bye week always is good for them.

is there a team that would be a disadvantage to have after the bye?

oh yea, and that generally bye weeks are a 50-50 situation, which you would expect from any given randomly selected week. if you pick a random game in each teams schedule, the sum total should be about .500

all reasons that i dont think this is anything more than a quirk. its cause could be random, or it could result from some sort of pattern they follow and the fact that we have each been pretty consistent for a decade.

That's basically what I said above. I don't deny there's a hell of a coincidence, and I hate coincidences...but I also think there's a lot to this.

If nothing else, I think an interesting show on the NFL network, which I refuse to pay for, would be to see how the schedule gets built. If there's nothing nefarious going on, why not show us what does go on? Afraid the fans may get upset? Yeah, that would be awful for the ratings. :D

the reason the fans would be upset is they would realize how much the focus is on dollars and television.

Edited by NoSaint

Calling foul on the Pats recent bye week history is silly. Study a little bit about "mathematical coincidence" and you will understand that recent history in and of itself is actually an unsuspicious string of events. Don't confuse numerical expressions of possible outcomes with the natural occurrence of seemingly impossible outcomes in real life every moment of every day.

Calling foul on the Pats recent bye week history is silly. Study a little bit about "mathematical coincidence" and you will understand that recent history in and of itself is actually an unsuspicious string of events. Don't confuse numerical expressions of possible outcomes with the natural occurrence of seemingly impossible outcomes in real life every moment of every day.

4 out of the last 5 years and 6 of the last 8 I think. I would say that defies the statistical chance of it being just a "coincidence". If it were relatively random we should get the Pats after OUR bye week 50% of the time when it does happen. This also defies incredibly that statistical possibility. The reality of the situation makes it HIGHLY "suspicious" in my opinion.

Edited by PDaDdy

They coddle Tom Brady when he gets dirty. They coddle the Pats with questionable calls (or non calls) from refs. What else is new. Cant wait till Brady retires so this favoritism from the league and media halts. Soon after Belicheat will retire because they will be irrelevant again..

4 out of the last 5 years and 6 of the last 8 I think. I would say that defies the statistical chance of it being just a "coincidence". If it were relatively random we should get the Pats after OUR bye week 50% of the time when it does happen. This also defies incredibly that statistical possibility. The reality of the situation makes it HIGHLY "suspicious" in my opinion.

Why do you think that any part of the schedule follows a random distribution? Why would it?

And what are you suspicious of?? You guys can't even agree as to what the benefit is: getting 2 weeks to prepare for a tough game against Bills because "they are picked to be the AFCE runnerup"; or, the opposite-- after 2 weeks off, teams are rusty and need a tomato can to tune up on.

Why don't you loons get together and put forth a unified theory so we can mock you all at once.

I know this is going to sound snarkier than i mean it to, but....

essentially you just laid out that they get us because we are bad, the other half of the time they get teams because they are good, and that the bye week always is good for them.

is there a team that would be a disadvantage to have after the bye?

oh yea, and that generally bye weeks are a 50-50 situation, which you would expect from any given randomly selected week. if you pick a random game in each teams schedule, the sum total should be about .500

No problem and essentially that is where it ended up for me and why this was my last sentence

That's the part that stands out to me - no matter who the opponent is it seems to benefit the Pats* in some way.

There are many ways to look at it and in each scenario it seems that the Pats* benefit if that is the stance you want to take.

As for the team that would be bad for them off of a bye yes there is an answer. A non-conference foe that is a stronger team where a win doesn't mean much but a loss certainly hurts.

I think the core fault of the conspiracy argument is this: The pats* are a good team :sick: so when you see who they play off of a bye it looks like a win. The Bills haven't been a good team :wallbash: so who they play off of the bye looks like a tough game. If the Pats* were worse no one would be concerned that they played the Bills off of a bye. If the Bills were better no one would care who they played that was coming off of a bye. Does that make sense?

Most of my post pertained to the idea of if this is happening why it is not that I definitively believe it is. I really don't think there is a grand league conspiracy to screw the Buffalo Bills, I do however think that there is interest in protecting their golden franchise and helping them out whenever possible. (much like the lakers in the nba and the yankees in mlb). This bye situation is a major statistical anomaly and one that I can understand creating concern especially when it pertains to known cheaters.

Edited by section122

Why do you think that any part of the schedule follows a random distribution? Why would it?

And what are you suspicious of?? You guys can't even agree as to what the benefit is: getting 2 weeks to prepare for a tough game against Bills because "they are picked to be the AFCE runnerup"; or, the opposite-- after 2 weeks off, teams are rusty and need a tomato can to tune up on.

Why don't you loons get together and put forth a unified theory so we can mock you all at once.

This is my point. This tendency to always play the Pats after their bye week is not random it is premeditated. The benefit to the Pats is that they get to play a division rival almost every year after 2 weeks to prepare and rest. The cost to us is that we have had to play a division rival and division leader almost every year for the last 8. It's tough enough to take away a game from a division leading rival and much tougher after they have 2 weeks to rest and prepare. Teams don't get rusty middle of the season with an additional week of rest playing at home.

It's pretty simple in my eyes.

No problem and essentially that is where it ended up for me and why this was my last sentence

That's the part that stands out to me - no matter who the opponent is it seems to benefit the Pats* in some way.

There are many ways to look at it and in each scenario it seems that the Pats* benefit if that is the stance you want to take.

As for the team that would be bad for them off of a bye yes there is an answer. A non-conference foe that is a stronger team where a win doesn't mean much but a loss certainly hurts.

I think the core fault of the conspiracy argument is this: The pats* are a good team :sick: so when you see who they play off of a bye it looks like a win. The Bills haven't been a good team :wallbash: so who they play off of the bye looks like a tough game. If the Pats* were worse no one would be concerned that they played the Bills off of a bye. If the Bills were better no one would care who they played that was coming off of a bye. Does that make sense?

Most of my post pertained to the idea of if this is happening why it is not that I definitively believe it is. I really don't think there is a grand league conspiracy to screw the Buffalo Bills, I do however think that there is interest in protecting their golden franchise and helping them out whenever possible. (much like the lakers in the nba and the yankees in mlb). This bye situation is a major statistical anomaly and one that I can understand creating concern especially when it pertains to known cheaters.

i get what your saying. i dont think i buy that its an effort to help the pats that this is happening though. even in the case of the strong non conference opponent (which is pretty limited in chances to fall after a bye), it is still an important game to win.

speaking to the people saying the divisional record is a big deal - that would only be if someone thought we were not just number 2, but were going to tie. any of the tie breakers within the conference for seeding go on head to head and conference record, no? if thats the case a big game against the steelers, ravens, in the past the colts or now the texans or denver would be MUCH more valuable a win than to beat up the bills.