Bad Year to Need OLT

In my opinion, the Bills' clear number one need is to find a good starting OLT. I disagree with those that say that Chris Hairston showed enough to warrant starting this year.

I am not suggesting that the team does not also have a crying need for another NFL starting-caliber WR and for 1-2 starting-caliber OLBs.

It looks to be a particularly bad year to need to find an OLT. We've been through the suspects ad-nauseum:

Reiff looks more like a RT or even a G to many.

Glenn looks like a RT on a good day and a G to many others. NFL Network's Mike Mayock recently said that he didn't think Glenn should go until round 2.

Jonathan Martin is not well-regarded by many and may be a stretch to eventually start at either OT position.

Mike Adams is a very talented under-achiever.

While I strongly believe that the offense will be grounded without a starting-caliber OLT, I don't particularly want to take my chances on any of the iffy players available who MIGHT be able to play that position. However, I am not much higher on any of the prospects at the Bills' other positions of need.

I am leery of Michael Floyd's off-field problems, however I am heartened by his year of trouble free behavior.

I am not totally sold on Luke Kuechly at OLB, but he seems a safe pick with a high floor.

The best-bets, in my opinion (based on my reading of Pro Football Weekly and Russ Lande - former NFL scout, as well as NFL Network's Mayock) are mostly defensive players:

DT Fletcher Cox is pretty highly regarded by many, but the Bills' seem pretty set at DT with Dareus and Kyle Williams.

DE Melvin Ingram looks like he could be a highly productive pass rusher, but I don't think he can play 4-3 OLB. Where does he play with Mario Williams on-board?

Pick-your-favorite CB among Kirkpatrick and Gilmore - Gilmore has less baggage, but Kirkpatrick has a bit better ability (again, based on what I've read).

S Mark Barron is highly regarded, but I think the Bills are pretty OK there with Byrd and Wilson. This guy is a dark-horse candidate for the 10th pick IMHO

To me, this is a very shaky year in terms of talent in the draft. I've been following the draft very closely for 25+ years and I don't ever remember being so under-whelmed with the possible Bills' selections in round 1. Now, I know that there might be some depth in the mid-rounds 2-4, but it's hard to make up for it, if the first round pick doesn't pan out.

I've flip-flopped all over the place on this, but at the moment my view is that I'd strongly consider Kuechley and Floyd at 10, with some consideration for Gilmore/Kirkpatrick and Barron. I think the OTs are all way too questionable to invest that high of a pick on, unless the Bills think that Erik Pears also needs to be replaced at RT. If that is the case, then Reiff/Glenn look a little more attractive as their fall-back position would also be considered a position of need.

Lastly, I am not in favor of this, BUT with the questions surrounding the top candidates at the Bills' main positions of need, it might make sense to take a chance on Ryan Tannehill.

Finally, I talked myself off the LT ledge by looking at the starting LT on last year's playoff teams. DO NOT read this to say that I don't believe that a good-very good LT is not an important part of a good offense. However, many teams last year were successful without pro-bowl caliber OLTs:

Hou: Duane Brown - drafted late first/early 2nd can't remember, but he wasn't ultra-highly regarded

Pitt: Max Starks - not a highly drafted guy

Balt: Bryant McKinnie - high draft pick who didn't live up to his status and wasn't in particularly good shape (reportedly) last year.

NE: Matt Light - 2nd round pick, who has done a good, not great job for the Pats

Jets: D'Brickashaw Ferguson - high number 1 pick who is good.

Den Ryan Clady - high number 1 pick who is good.

GB M. Newhouse - Don't know ANYTHING about this guy

Det Jeff Backus - career over-achiever whom they would like to replace

Atl Sam Baker/Will Svitek - Baker has disappointed and Svitek is a journeyman

NO Jermane Bushrod - nothing special

Giants: William Beatty - lightly regarded mid-round pick who wasn't considered tough enough

49ers: Joe Staley - wasn't highly regarded in the draft - OT/G tweener.

With all that in mind, maybe it is OK to take a chance on one of the OTs at 10 and hope that they are adequate at LT.

Constructive opinions welcomed.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you sir have covered your bases and i would not argue with 25 years of watching the process even on my best day.

I myself am tore up about the LT situation beyond Kalil although i find i might be the minority as you are possibly this year.

If we do not move our pick i think we will go at BPA. and then come out with a Spiller like reactionfrom fans maybe. Not a bad thing in the long run? But someone just like Cox or Ingram should be a strong possibility as the pick and either will better our team. But not a need, or are they? Maybe some have noticed that we might be building a defense modeled after Giants front rotation. If Merriman who is called out to play DE now cannot perform then Ingram is a great pick. Same with Troup or Johnson or Heard and bringing in Cox. let a couple guys go and we would have one nasty a.. rotation. expensive in a 4 years but Boy Howdy for the next 3 years

NFL Network's Mike Mayock recently said that he didn't think Glenn should go until round 2.

I like Mike, but he's not infallibile and missed a few like anyone else.

Finally, I talked myself off the LT ledge by looking at the starting LT on last year's playoff teams. DO NOT read this to say that I don't believe that a good-very good LT is not an important part of a good offense. However, many teams last year were successful without pro-bowl caliber OLTs:

Hou: Duane Brown - drafted late first/early 2nd can't remember, but he wasn't ultra-highly regarded

Balt: Bryant McKinnie - high draft pick who didn't live up to his status and wasn't in particularly good shape (reportedly) last year.

NE: Matt Light - 2nd round pick, who has done a good, not great job for the Pats

Giants: William Beatty - lightly regarded mid-round pick who wasn't considered tough enough

With all that in mind, maybe it is OK to take a chance on one of the OTs at 10 and hope that they are adequate at LT.

That's why I'm still a fan of Glenn. He's not Kalil, but he's battle tested (50 starts), versatile and has the size/strength to hold up against NFL d-linemen from day one. Getting a solid, if non-Pro Bowl quality starter that can lock down that position for 5-10 years with the 10th pick is good value, IMO...

Last year no rookie OT started at LT for his team...except for the Bills' Chris Hairston, and that was because of injuries. Expecting one to come in this year and start, much less play at a high level, is expecting too much.

In my opinion, the Bills' clear number one need is to find a good starting OLT. I disagree with those that say that Chris Hairston showed enough to warrant starting this year.

I am not suggesting that the team does not also have a crying need for another NFL starting-caliber WR and for 1-2 starting-caliber OLBs.

It looks to be a particularly bad year to need to find an OLT. We've been through the suspects ad-nauseum:

Reiff looks more like a RT or even a G to many.

Glenn looks like a RT on a good day and a G to many others. NFL Network's Mike Mayock recently said that he didn't think Glenn should go until round 2.

Jonathan Martin is not well-regarded by many and may be a stretch to eventually start at either OT position.

Mike Adams is a very talented under-achiever.

While I strongly believe that the offense will be grounded without a starting-caliber OLT, I don't particularly want to take my chances on any of the iffy players available who MIGHT be able to play that position. However, I am not much higher on any of the prospects at the Bills' other positions of need.

I am leery of Michael Floyd's off-field problems, however I am heartened by his year of trouble free behavior.

I am not totally sold on Luke Kuechly at OLB, but he seems a safe pick with a high floor.

The best-bets, in my opinion (based on my reading of Pro Football Weekly and Russ Lande - former NFL scout, as well as NFL Network's Mayock) are mostly defensive players:

DT Fletcher Cox is pretty highly regarded by many, but the Bills' seem pretty set at DT with Dareus and Kyle Williams.

DE Melvin Ingram looks like he could be a highly productive pass rusher, but I don't think he can play 4-3 OLB. Where does he play with Mario Williams on-board?

Pick-your-favorite CB among Kirkpatrick and Gilmore - Gilmore has less baggage, but Kirkpatrick has a bit better ability (again, based on what I've read).

S Mark Barron is highly regarded, but I think the Bills are pretty OK there with Byrd and Wilson. This guy is a dark-horse candidate for the 10th pick IMHO

To me, this is a very shaky year in terms of talent in the draft. I've been following the draft very closely for 25+ years and I don't ever remember being so under-whelmed with the possible Bills' selections in round 1. Now, I know that there might be some depth in the mid-rounds 2-4, but it's hard to make up for it, if the first round pick doesn't pan out.

I've flip-flopped all over the place on this, but at the moment my view is that I'd strongly consider Kuechley and Floyd at 10, with some consideration for Gilmore/Kirkpatrick and Barron. I think the OTs are all way too questionable to invest that high of a pick on, unless the Bills think that Erik Pears also needs to be replaced at RT. If that is the case, then Reiff/Glenn look a little more attractive as their fall-back position would also be considered a position of need.

Lastly, I am not in favor of this, BUT with the questions surrounding the top candidates at the Bills' main positions of need, it might make sense to take a chance on Ryan Tannehill.

Constructive opinions welcomed.

Good analysis. I agree not a particularly compelling draft, unless you're taking #1 or 2 overall.

Hairston actually has several NFL starts and didnt look bad, and should be better in year 2 with a real off season. It would suck if they bring in a OT at # 10 pick that is not a special talent!

Hairston was decent for a rookie who had no off-season to learn the playbook, get practice time and get into shape, and who missed half of training camp and pre-season, and didn't take any starting snaps until Bell got injured. Not to mention he suffered a high ankle sprain against the Giants and was rushed back too soon because they needed him back on the field.

Again, no rookie taken in this draft will be better than Hairston. And outside of Kalil, none of them seem to be any great shakes.

It may indeed be a bad year to need an OLT.

And I think that means - whether Nix, Gailey and we like it or not - that Hairston will be our starter on opening day.

No NFL roster is perfect. Hopefully we don't have so many imperfections that they prevent us from finally reaching the playoffs.

Interestingly, there was a lot of panic going into last year with Bell as our LT. In fact, there was a lot of panic about the OL in general. Yet both our backs averaged over 5 ypc and our QB was not sacked much. Gailey and the offensive coaching staff did a great job at the beginning of last season covering up our weaknesses. Let's hope they can do it again - but for a full season this time.

Yes, this is a tough year, but every year players surprise you. All-pros from the 2nd to 7th rounds to the undrafteds. Sure, looking at the situation now looks questionable, but we absolutely need to have another LT according to Nix. We lost the starter from last year(D. Bell), and if Hairston gets injured, do we really want to move Levitre back to LOT like last year? Other injuries occurred and the offensive production dropped something like 33%. So, don't make it too complicated. Take the best player of need (OT) at that position. If someone says he's a reach, so be it. My personal favorite is Jonathan Martin - 3 years effectively protecting the best college QB since Peyton Manning (Luck) and a quality person with intelligence to boot sounds good to me. If Cordy Glenn is there at 41, maybe I take him then too.

In Buddy We Trust

I like Mike, but he's not infallibile and missed a few like anyone else.

That's why I'm still a fan of Glenn. He's not Kalil, but he's battle tested (50 starts), versatile and has the size/strength to hold up against NFL d-linemen from day one. Getting a solid, if non-Pro Bowl quality starter that can lock down that position for 5-10 years with the 10th pick is good value, IMO...

Nobody gives reiff any love !!!! When we select him at 10 you'll grow your respect for him.

Edited by brianhawkeye2012

Nobody gives reiff any love !!!! When we select him at 10 you'll grow your respect for him.

In fact when he was a starting RT because we had a LT by the name of Bulaga both those guys were anchors for a guy named SHONN GREEN who was the first IOWA rb to ever win the DOAK award. The only rb that season to have 12 100yd games. REIFF will open up holes for freddy and cj

It may indeed be a bad year to need an OLT.

And I think that means - whether Nix, Gailey and we like it or not - that Hairston will be our starter on opening day.

No NFL roster is perfect. Hopefully we don't have so many imperfections that they prevent us from finally reaching the playoffs.

Interestingly, there was a lot of panic going into last year with Bell as our LT. In fact, there was a lot of panic about the OL in general. Yet both our backs averaged over 5 ypc and our QB was not sacked much. Gailey and the offensive coaching staff did a great job at the beginning of last season covering up our weaknesses. Let's hope they can do it again - but for a full season this time.

I wouldn't say it's a bad year to draft LT, just that at 10 no one looks particularly worthy. Of who will be left they're more like mid-2nd to mid-4th kind of talent.

In fact when he was a starting RT because we had a LT by the name of Bulaga both those guys were anchors for a guy named SHONN GREEN who was the first IOWA rb to ever win the DOAK award. The only rb that season to have 12 100yd games. REIFF will open up holes for freddy and cj

It's funny you mentioned Bulaga. I was going to post that many think that Reiff isn't even as good as him, and I don't see Bulaga as a LT in the NFL.

Hairston was decent for a rookie who had no off-season to learn the playbook, get practice time and get into shape, and who missed half of training camp and pre-season, and didn't take any starting snaps until Bell got injured. Not to mention he suffered a high ankle sprain against the Giants and was rushed back too soon because they needed him back on the field.

Again, no rookie taken in this draft will be better than Hairston. And outside of Kalil, none of them seem to be any great shakes.

Doc is 100% correct.

Not every LT is elite. Thats why we cal them elite, because it is so rare. If you can find a guy that is solid more days than not you should be pretty happy with that

Worse come to worst, the Bills can do what they did with Bell and implement the quick-passing game again with Hairston. No need to reach for a LT.

Not every LT is elite. Thats why we cal them elite, because it is so rare. If you can find a guy that is solid more days than not you should be pretty happy with that

Wouldn't be happy 2 years from now trying to decide whether our 2012 top 10 pick LT is very good or not very good (because of the nature of the position, it may be hard to tell--recall that debate re: Jason Peters), while watching guys like Floyd or Fleener scoring points on teams who picked them after we passed..