Bad Year to Need OLT

Be that as it may (I never use that expression but it seems fitting), everyone knows the main ingredient in an NFL QB's success is what's between his ears.

Pretty clearly Mayock didn't think Newton had it upstairs as far as reading defenses (intellect) or his desire and motivation.

Bottom line, Mayock was most likely very wrong about Newton.

Love Mayock but many people here seem to treat his opinions as gospel.

Mayock may have been right about Newton's upstairs, but he was wrong about the kid's totally freakish athletic ability. So far, no one has been able to consistently stop him on any level. Question though: do you think having an off-season to prepare and NFL game tape this year will help the defenses?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mayock may have been right about Newton's upstairs, but he was wrong about the kid's totally freakish athletic ability. So far, no one has been able to consistently stop him on any level. Question though: do you think having an off-season to prepare and NFL game tape this year will help the defenses?

Again, sorry for the early snippiness.

I suppose one could make that argument.

As you know the counter-argument could also be made, that Newton was a rookie who because of the lockout was deprived of all the offseason workouts, organized team activities, and minicamps. Having an offseason to study up could very well offset the ability for teams to game plan for him.

It should be fun to watch. I think he'll take another positive step in his development.