Santorum Suspending Campaign

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point, the only thing that candidates who are still hanging around (and are not in serious contention for the nomination) will do is drain Romney's campaign chest fending off futile attacks.

At this point, the only thing that candidates who are still hanging around (and are not in serious contention for the nomination) will do is drain Romney's campaign chest fending off futile attacks.

I had to read that twice. The first time I read that as fending off Flutie :lol:

This is good news for anyone even remotely interested in seeing Obama wiped out in November.

Get ready for non-stop Buffett Rule and more Obama class warfare at every turn.

PAY YOUR FAIR SHARE, DAMMIT! PAY YOUR FAIR SHARE!!!

This isn't about the deficit. This is like a parent disciplining his children.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0412/74975.html

Introducing a minimum 30 percent income tax on millionaires “was never our plan to bring the deficit down and get the debt under control,” Jason Furman, the principal deputy director of the White House National Economic Council, told reporters on a conference call Monday afternoon. “This is not the president’s entire tax plan. We’re not trying to say this solves all our economic problems, all our budget problems.”

Making the argument for the rule based on billionaire investor Warren Buffett’s argument that it’s wrong for him to pay a lower tax rate than his secretary, President Barack Obama said in the State of the Union address in January that paying the “fair share of taxes” was necessary for a “sense of shared responsibility. That’s how we’ll reduce our deficit.

Which one is it?

This is good news for anyone even remotely interested in seeing Obama wiped out in November.

Regarding pay your fair share I think everyone should for one year claim exempt on their paychecks and do no estimated taxes. Sure you'll pay a small penalty for that but you really feel the pain when you have to write those checks by April 15th. When it's taken out of your paycheck you don't even notice it. When you have to write a $10, $20, $50k (or $250k like one of my clients) you really feel the pain. Try it once, you have a new found hate for paying taxes.

Almost a full 2 months before Hilly dropped-out in 2008 (June 7th). Nice. Newt should be making his announcement any second now. Not that it matters.

This one is easy. All Mitt has to do is ask why Barry didn't pass the "Buffett Rule" back when he had full control of Congress and why Warry is fighting the $1B in back taxes he owes. He could even make fun of Barry and ask if he learned about capital gains tax recently, like he did about SCOTUS being able to strike down laws.

Almost a full 2 months before Hilly dropped-out in 2008 (June 7th). Nice. Newt should be making his announcement any second now. Not that it matters.

This one is easy. All Mitt has to do is ask why Barry didn't pass the "Buffett Rule" back when he had full control of Congress and why Warry is fighting the $1B in back taxes he owes. He could even make fun of Barry and ask if he learned about capital gains tax recently, like he did about SCOTUS being able to strike down laws.

Mitt needs to use plenty of humor and expose Obama's contradictions with it. He has to show him for the bumbler he is. His VP has to be solid, able to crush Biden in a debate and capable of being president. Can you imagine a Paul Ryan debating Biden?

It remains amazing to me that anyone...anyone at all...can possibly make the argument that Barack Obama is an intelligent person. Or even a smart person. Or even a thoughtful person.

There's book smarts and real life smarts. Dude has a real life smarts IQ of about 12.

It remains amazing to me that anyone...anyone at all...can possibly make the argument that Barack Obama is an intelligent person. Or even a smart person. Or even a thoughtful person.

Have to disagree with you here. Obama & Co are quite intelligent and know exactly what they're doing. And they understand the electorate well enough to tailor The Daily Truth to fool enough people to get away with it

There's book smarts and real life smarts. Dude has a real life smarts IQ of about 12.

And the thing is, he doesn't even TRY to pretend he's smart any more. He simply just gets to say one stupid thing after another...propose one stupid plan after another...and absolutely no one in the media calls him out on it.

His new talking point is that the tax code is "rigged," and the way to fix this is to increase taxes on the wealthy. How much of a chucklehead do you have to be to believe that the way to fix a problem is NOT to actually address the actual problem head on, but rather to address the results of the problem? I mean, it's embarrassing enough to publicly be that unbelievably stupid, but does the unbelievably stupid person have to be our president? Does the entire world need to see how stupid we are for putting someone THIS stupid in charge of our country?

But hey...he doesn't wear a sweater vest. Boy, we really dodged a bullet there, eh? :wallbash:

Just to note: Newt was speaking over the weekend that Romney is now virtually guaranteed to get the nomination and that he'll support him. So it seems all but over.

There was one recent poll where Romney was +5 in Penn, and another where Santorum was +4.

Regardless, Pennsylvania, with proportional delegates, was a state that Santorum needed to win by a wide margin (30-40 points) in order to retain even that 1-2% shot of carrying this thing to the RNC and hoping for a brokering. All the other 24 April states were going Romney and beyond that too with California being the whopper 172-delegate winner take all. Losing Pennsylvania w/o an excuse like this would have screwed his future aspirations. But as it stands he's the nominal runner-up, which historically shows he's favored in 2016 if Romney doesn't win in the general (several polls out today showing that Romney vs. Obama is a tie, and that he's in this deep this far out with all the advantages that the office brings, doesn't stand well for Barry).

Anyway, this comes about a month-and-a-half to two months late for Santorum. I understand why he did it. He had things he wanted to talk about, wanted to get his name out there, no matter what the math was saying. But it was getting awkward and going further had the potential to damage the party. It would be interesting if the party holds him to any accountability for producing fractures.... On another note, tho, Mr. Santorum's youngest child, Bella was released from the hospital yesterday, and while the campaign has been nasty at times, I sincerely wish the best for her. Santorum talks the talk on abortion, etc. but give credit where it's due, he also walks the walk. Then again, I (and ~70% of the electorate) go with the idea of stare juris on Roe that defined it as a private matter and left for people (women) to decide for themselves. As I said, I don't want a president who seems to want to be a pastor-in-chief. That's not government's function. There are a number of other possible candidates who would get my support. Mike Pence, Mitch Daniels, Susanna Martinez....

Edited by UConn James

As easy as that sounds, if anybody can f*ck that up the GOP can find a way

I would argue that McCain could f*ck that up. Romney knows what he needs in a running mate, and it's hard for me to imagine he will throw a Hail Mary to shake things up.

Pick a Ryan or Rubio, take this idiot out of office, and let's get back to work.