Claiborne gets a 4 in the wonderlic

Your 100% correct bud

Like I said. I don't disagree with anything you guys are saying. All I'm saying is if I had to pick between the number one and number two and two didn't have these issues, I'm going with two all day and twice on Sundays. If another team wants to take the risk and possibly reap the huge reward, congrats in them. I wouldn't fault them for doing it. I just wouldn't. And it's not like this kid WONT be drafted because of this. He won't be looking for a job come august that's for sure. He'll get what he deserves I'm sure. It just wouldn't be from me if I had to chose. That's all. Going to bed now. Nite

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 10 or a 13 is one thing, but a 4? Come on, I think most of us have taken a sample wonderlic, or at least seen the questions. A 4 indicates not just low intelligence, but some SEVERE mental shortcomings. Possibly even retardation.

Maybe this was masked in a top ranked college program loaded with talent and good coaching, but in the NFL where the playbooks are far more complex, and the talent far and away above what he is used to seeing every week, I have to question how he can succeed.

At the very least GM's should be very concerned about what they are getting in this guy. Vince Young and his limited brainpower couldn't handle being an NFL starter, and Claiborne makes him look like a genius.

A 10 or a 13 is one thing, but a 4? Come on, I think most of us have taken a sample wonderlic, or at least seen the questions. A 4 indicates not just low intelligence, but some SEVERE mental shortcomings. Possibly even retardation.

Maybe this was masked in a top ranked college program loaded with talent and good coaching, but in the NFL where the playbooks are far more complex, and the talent far and away above what he is used to seeing every week, I have to question how he can succeed.

At the very least GM's should be very concerned about what they are getting in this guy. Vince Young and his limited brainpower couldn't handle being an NFL starter, and Claiborne makes him look like a genius.

The assertion is he can't read. If true, it's totally luck of the draw.

I don't understand why the Nfl, unlike the NCAA, doesn't allow others to take this test for these guys.

Anyway, it's obvious you don't have to be a genius to succeed in the NFL--idiot savant will do.

Edited by Mr. WEO

A timed test like the Wonderlic (12 minutes) for someone with a reading disability would be incredibly difficult and frustrating. His score doesn't suggest he's "retarded" Turbo. It may suggest the kid has some literacy issues. Wonderlic Inc. sets a score of 10 as indicating normal adult literacy.

Or Claiborne is just an immature hot-shot and didn't even try to successfully complete the test? I have no idea, but it wouldn't be unprecedented.

The assertion is he can't read. If true, it's totally luck of the draw.

That logic makes sense...If true though, LSU should be investigated. How can you have guys making that far through high school, let alone college that can't read? Who is taking his tests for him?

A timed test like the Wonderlic (12 minutes) for someone with a reading disability would be incredibly difficult and frustrating. His score doesn't suggest he's "retarded" Turbo. It may suggest the kid has some literacy issues. Wonderlic Inc. sets a score of 10 as indicating normal adult literacy.

Or Claiborne is just an immature hot-shot and didn't even try to successfully complete the test? I have no idea, but it wouldn't be unprecedented.

Ok, let's say he can't read. He supposedly made it through high school and college, yet he can't read? Doesn't that still suggest he has some sort of major learning disability at the very least, if not full fledged mental slowness? It also obviously suggests LSU was doing something less than legit to keep him in good academic standing.

That logic makes sense...If true though, LSU should be investigated. How can you have guys making that far through high school, let alone college that can't read? Who is taking his tests for him?

There's a difference between being so uneducated that you can't read, and having a learning disability that impairs your abilty to read well.

Damn... 9 pages on Wonderlic... Pretty cool...

Its the annual Wonderlick thread that pops up this time a year. .... everyone jump on and report their scores.

I did two short versions: 37 & 40 .... feeling good about myself.

There's a difference between being so uneducated that you can't read, and having a learning disability that impairs your abilty to read well.

You're going a little over the top defending him. For someone to make it to this point in college and score a 4 on this test, points to a serious problem in this kid's noggin, whatever the cause. If he can't read, how will he learn a complicated NFL playbook.

You're going a little over the top defending him. For someone to make it to this point in college and score a 4 on this test, points to a serious problem in this kid's noggin, whatever the cause. If he can't read, how will he learn a complicated NFL playbook.

If you cannot answer that question yourself, you're seriously retarded.

Ok, let's say he can't read. He supposedly made it through high school and college, yet he can't read? Doesn't that still suggest he has some sort of major learning disability at the very least, if not full fledged mental slowness? It also obviously suggests LSU was doing something less than legit to keep him in good academic standing.

Well, if you go with the story released after the score, this was a learning disability diagnosed in highschool. I dont know specifically what it was, but depending on what it effects - it could be very specific to certain skills, like reading. im no expert, so im not going to diagnose anything on TBD. If its effects are primarily written language, its very possible that he is an absolute genius in other respects, but sitting down to try and fly through this test the page just looked liked scrambled letters, but when you hand him a playbook, the diagrams make absolute sense. From some very brief interviews with those close to him, it seems they all echo that he is bright, but handing him a book is not how you teach him. Hes very visual, so a lecture with diagrams would teach him material. As far as testing, depending on the coursework, you could do oral style exams for instance. there are all kinds of accomodations out there for disability - someone that cant see for instance would have some sort of testing accomodation that might be similar.

I would understand any skepticism with athletes today and big football programs, so it could be a load of bull but who knows.

This would be useful if thw wonderlic actually meant anything. But it doesnt. It's not a test of intelligence or smarts. It does nothing but test how well you take the wonderlic.

Have you ever taken a Wonderlic? You are right when you say it only measures what it measure. Just like combine results. A 40 time doesn't tell you how well someone plays football. It only tells you how fast someone runs the 40. But I wouldn't sign a CB who runs a 5.5.

I have taken a Wonderlic, btw, and I would be seriously concerned about any player scoring a 4. Did he even bother to try? Can he read? NFL playbooks aren't that simple (some old one are available online). You have to at least be able to read.