Claiborne gets a 4 in the wonderlic

The Wonderlic already has it's critics and it will have many more if Claiborne becomes a star. And I think that's possible. I certainly don't think he's "doomed." I just think it's easier to coach someone with good learning/analytical skills.

This is from PFT:

Long-time Buccaneers cornerback Ronde Barber echoed on Wednesday something many have said since LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne’s score on the Wonderlic test surfaced on Tuesday: The 50-question general intelligence test is irrelevant to on-field ability.

“I don’t think it’s a factor,” Barber tells NFL.com. “I don’t think it really translates into the football IQ . . . I wouldn’t pay much attention to it.”

So why then does the NFL continue to administer the test? Former Cowboys and Dolphins coach Jimmy Johnson said Tuesday via Twitter that “90% of my misses were because I took a chance on marginal intelligence.”

my guess realistically, is that the nfl doesnt like change. its got the 40 in shorts, the wonderlic instead of something more suited to game decisions, heck that 1988 draft value chart that we all parrot but no nfl gm wants to go against.... better tests could, and should exist, but that doesnt mean a 40 vs a 4 is worthless info... the problem is we can never really say "all things being equal" as there are a million variables. i agree that generally smarter is better than less smart. but when you start trading instincts, strength, how polished a guy is, speed, hands, scheme, even in this test we are talking about all the different types of measures for intelligence alone, yet alone short speed, long speed, agility, most fans have a hard time wrapping their heads around how complex the conversation really is and start either screaming that theyd never take a guy with a 4, or that the whole test is 100% beyond a doubt worthless. both statements being silly.

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my guess realistically, is that the nfl doesnt like change. its got the 40 in shorts, the wonderlic instead of something more suited to game decisions, heck that 1988 draft value chart that we all parrot but no nfl gm wants to go against.... better tests could, and should exist, but that doesnt mean a 40 vs a 4 is worthless info... the problem is we can never really say "all things being equal" as there are a million variables. i agree that generally smarter is better than less smart. but when you start trading instincts, strength, how polished a guy is, speed, hands, scheme, even in this test we are talking about all the different types of measures for intelligence alone, yet alone short speed, long speed, agility, most fans have a hard time wrapping their heads around how complex the conversation really is and start either screaming that theyd never take a guy with a 4, or that the whole test is 100% beyond a doubt worthless. both statements being silly.

Other tests DO exist and NFL teams often use them in cases when a player scores very low on the Wonderlic as Charley Casserly pointed out yesterday on NFLN's 'Path to the Draft.' He said when a player scores so low it's usually due to a reading issue, NOT an intelligence issue. And he also noted that there is nothing in Clairborne's body of work to date that suggests his intelligence is a question on the field. Quite the contrary in fact.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/closer/020228test.html for example questions

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/03/claiborne-gives-birth-to-a-four-on-the-wonderlic/ for the report on this

Ohhhhhkayyyy

He can STILL tie his own shoes....right?

maybe he's dyslexic.i think once you start scoring less than 25% on this test its actually

a positive.

More on the story:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/04/combine-president-says-an-accommodation-i-available-for-the-wonderlic/

"Although agent Bus Cook claimed in response to the news that he’s aware of no “deficiency” in Claiborne, multiple reports indicate that Claiborne has a learning disability. If that’s true (and we have no reason to believe it isn’t), Cook should have known — and Cook could have obtained an accommodation for Claiborne when taking the test."