CJ or Fred? You can only keep one

CJ or Fred?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. If you could ONLY keep ONE runningback who would it be?

Pretend that you get to be GM of the Bills and a scenario allowed you to only keep one running back on your team as a starter. Your torn between Fred Jackson (who has been a proven player on this team for several seasons) or CJ Spiller (a RB who has shown great potential). There's pluses and minues to both players. Who do you keep and why?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not good to pretend as I tend to think a lot of things. Post this vote in 2 years when it might be an actual decision our GM will have to make. For now I absolutely LOVE Fred and wouldn't trade him for anybody (including C.J.) and I'm starting to love C.J.'s game also.

Let's pretend we won the $476 million dollar mega millions jackpot. What would you do? I would -

1. Invest in a bunch of real estate

2. Help out family and friends (obvious)

3. Hire a girl to do the little stuff my girlfriend never does like (scratch my back, massage, play with my ballz, etc.)

4. Hire a guy to speak for me. For example I go to a pizzeria, I whisper to my employee, "tell him I want I slice of pizza". My employee asks for the slice then I whisper "tell him not to hot please" and so on.

5. Buy a piece into the Bills organization and share with all of you guys.

Love the idea and think this is a great thread... It presents a realistic scenario that the bills may have to address at the end of next season.

I chose CJ and I think thats really the only way to go if you're thinking about the future at all. If it were just for this next season, I would definitely pick Freddy, but the fact that he just turned 31 and may only have a couple good years left makes it impractical to pick him over CJ (who turns 25 in August) who just had a breakout year and shows signs of having huge potential.

Fred. IMHO Fred is so much better than CJ right now that even if I only get 1 or 2 years I'll take that over potential. I'll find another RB when Fred is done. Good RBs are not that hard for us to find. The Bills have proven that they can continually come up with good RBs. Thurman Thomas, Kenneth Davis, Antionne Smith, Travis Henry, Willis McGahee, Beast Mode, Fred, CJ.

I think back to early in the year when Fred was doing his thing and I just could not pass that up for a wing and a prayer.

WIN NOW !!

The way I see it you keep the player that is giving you both the best all around yardage, and the best value for your money. And that is Fred by a landslide.

You keep Fred and trade CJ while he still should have some kind of trade value. When Fred is done, you draft or acquire another running back. Preferably not just a waterbug, but one that can run straight ahead as well.

Fred brings the most to the table for the bills. You keep Fred its not about a long term goal its about winning the superbowl and fred is the best man for that cause. If you are looking long term then keep CJ and trade Fred now because you will get the highest value.

Are you kidding me??? Freddy "ALL DAY" He is the better runner, the better blocker, the better back on the goal line and an at least an equal in the passing game. His legs are fresh for 31 because he has not carried the ball that much. I would prefer someone who has proved his worth over someone who might one day be a very good player. Give me 3 or 4 more years of Freddy and then I would just find another guy because backs are a dime a dozen. So, if given the choice it's a no brainer, I'll take Freddy the 2012-13 pro bowler.

I got CJ. Younger, more explosive, and is only going to get better. I love Fred. But if this was the only option, I got Spiller.

CJ may be more explosive but if one guy touches him he goes down. Freddy is more explosive in the sense that he will bust tackles and still have the burners to take it to the house.

To win next year Im taking Freddy. He was dominant when healthy and thats who I'm gonna roll with

That's what I was thinking. If I'm GM and I think my job depends on winning this year I go with Fred. CJ has a lot more years left, but if I get canned after this year I don't care about that.

If, on the other hand, I'm relatively comfortable in my position, and I'm setting up for a five year run, I might be more inclined to go CJ. It's hard to decide though because CJ is so explosive, but Fred is so much more complete as a player.

If FJ was a few years younger, I'd choose him easily. But he's probably only got one or two seasons of "elite" talent left in him.

Are we allowed to keep FJ and draft a stud RB? Or is it just one or the other, with our backup scrubs?

I hate this thread. I'm not sure why we would ever have to make that choice. They compliment each other well and 2 good rbs are almost a necessity nowadays. If the GM were forced into a decision, it would be based on winning right now vs the future. The choices are obvious for each route.

Wait a sec... they can't "win now" with spiller? :blink:

I love Fred and freely admit he is the better player TODAY. However, Spiller is really freakin good too.

So in fantasy land where I have to pick one (despite them both being under contract for at least this season), I pick CJ.

Win now AND later.