CJ as a WR?

I saw CJ drop a few as WR last year, but I also saw him burn a few defenders and flash the ability to get open at will. With FJ in the mix, do you guys think CJ has the hands to be a valuable addition lining up at WR when FJ is the tail back, or would he be a downgrade at the position assuming our current roster?

I saw CJ drop a few as WR last year, but I also saw him burn a few defenders and flash the ability to get open at will. With FJ in the mix, do you guys think CJ has the hands to be a valuable addition lining up at WR when FJ is the tail back, or would he be a downgrade at the position assuming our current roster?

As I recall (admitting that my memory gets worse all the time) there was a lot of attention from the media about CJ playing WR, when the injury situation got bad at the position...and CJ even practiced at the position during the week...but come game-day, not much came from it. What I remember most vividly, when they did throw to him from the position, was him getting open, deep, but Fitz wildly overthrowing him...more a case of too high, than too far. I like Fitzpatrick, so I don't mean this to be a slam on him. I think Spiller has shown some ability catching passes out of the backfield, and I would love to see them work a little more on him as a WR...he just has too much speed to waste. I realize, catching passes out of the backfield is a little different than going deep...but I think it could work. I am trusting, too, that Fitzpatrick and the coaches will make a concerted effort to improve his accuracy issues on deep throws.

We should get them both on the field together as much as possible. Confuse some defenses.

Yep, it doesn't matter what sport it is, you play your best players.

Again, if Gailey is such an offensive genius he should be able to figure out ways to get his best weapons on the field in certain situations.

If 3rd down conversions are as critical as coaches always say they are, it would behoove the Bills to have Freddy and CJ on the field on 3rd downs.

Either one has the talent to motion out and go into the pattern.

Also as Rob and Buftex mentioned, Spiller had zero problems getting open. It seems like you'd want to develop him as a receiver as much as possible.

They drafted him for his explosiveness didn't they?

..I'd have no problem with him out there as a WR occasionally--we know what this guy can do with the ball with ANY amount of space.-But much of that can be accomplished from the RB position with a variety of short or safety valve type routes.Whatever gets the guy the ball.

Yep SJ--get the guy on the field and the ball into his hands--focus on getting him some space.Best players ON the field.

-Short routes w YAC.

..I'd have no problem with him out there as a WR occasionally--we know what this guy can do with the ball with ANY amount of space.-But much of that can be accomplished from the RB position with a variety of short or safety valve type routes.Whatever gets the guy the ball.

Yep SJ--get the guy on the field and the ball into his hands--focus on getting him some space.Best players ON the field.

-Short routes w YAC.

Yeah even as a decoy last year, he created openings for others in a few red zone situations.

Agreed that even as an underneath guy, he'd be a big factor.

Question.....Do YOU WATCH BILLS GAMES.I MEAN REALLY WATCH. WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THIS ???

He didn't really do much there, he should be at RB. Chan should run the old pro sets (wishbone with out the Fullback) of the 80s this way they are both out there and the defense wont know who the main ball carrier and who blocking or who is a decoy. Also one of the backs can pitch the ball like an option play or fitz can ran the option where he can pitch or throw a short pass over the oncoming defenders to a TE or WR. It would be a lot of fun and would add more versatility to the offense.

What I predict is going to happen, and one of the reasons that the Bills seem to have no interest in bringing back Parrish (other than the obvious one), is that Chan is going to design a boatload of plays and formations with both Spiller and Fred on the field at the same time, and before the snap, one of them will often split out or go in motion and take the spot and routes that Parrish used to run in the slot, especially the ones they ran while both Parrish and Nelson were in the game.

So basically it would be four receivers out on the pattern, with Stevie, the #2, Nelson OR Chandler, and Spiller OR Freddy, with the possibility of the other back not split out or in motion to go out on a pattern, too.

Sometimes, obviously they will run with both backs, and sometimes run with the remaining back behind Fitz, be it Freddy or Spiller. This should, in theory, give the defense fits as to whether they should be in a run defense or nickel/pass defense.

Can C mac be involved? i mean besides protection or short yardage? I watched him last year and he blocked like a sum B word, but lining him in backfield as pro style or i form can he do more than block?

On paper with Fred, slipper :ph34r:) and Choice and our fullback, it just looks to me like we have alot of options and should be able to confuse with substitution.

This might be the defining reason we really do need a Left tackle better than what we have today and asap. No offence mr Hairston you're just a kid still developing.

But man there is a lot of potential in Chan's play calling this coming year so lets hope he sees what we see.

Yeah even as a decoy last year, he created openings for others in a few red zone situations.

Agreed that even as an underneath guy, he'd be a big factor.

Screens only. Anything else is just asking for trouble. Like Rob said, he dropped a few last year. More disturbingly, he was overthrown by Fitz a few times as well. -Doesn't seem to be much chemistry with those two as far as the passing game is concerned. IMO, we'd do better to maximize production from the guys who are actually paid to catch the ball. I'd feel better if CJ were focused on burrowing into opposing secondaries.

I can see chan (assuming he has both freddy and CJ in) faking the run whilst everyone else runs short out routes or slants and having cj run up the middle (for a pass) essentially burning a few defenders giving our WR's more room for short yard catches. Since thats where fitzy is more accurate