Demetrius Bell - Now an Eagle

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva

Pretty clear Demetrius Bell is asking for too much money. Has visited #Eagles, #Steelers, #Packers, #Cardinals, #Redskins. Still jobless.

Thanks. Forgot the Skins and Packers.

You can't blame the guy for testing the market and trying to cash in. At least he knows what the market is now!

Edited by BillnutinHouston

I've got a feeling that Bell is looking through a Harry Potter Pensive at the **** that went down during Jason Peters tenure.

Looks like he's getting a dose of reality from the Cap-friendly new NFL. He just doesn't hold that much leverage.

The Bills offer might be the best one out there. Might be time to suck it up and go home.

Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva

Pretty clear Demetrius Bell is asking for too much money. Has visited #Eagles, #Steelers, #Packers, #Cardinals, #Redskins. Still jobless.

Could it be that he's failed some physicals? Not sure if that info is always disclosed.

The guy overvalues himself. If he didn't he would have signed already. Most of those teams need to improve at LT, so I could see them not wanting to overpay. But, not getting signed by the Eagles, whose LT is out for the season, just shows that either teams don't think much of him as a person (comes off as DUMB as a box of rocks if you read his twitter) or more likely, he's pricing himself out of the market. Wonder what team offered him the most?

Edited by ndirish1978

interesting situation...as usual, we don't have enough info to know what we should want. I am starting to wonder about his physical condition as well. his play should not be an issue- it was pretty damn good whenever he was healthy.

On the other hand I'd love to know what he's asking for??

I hope we get him back anyway, but it doesn't look good.

The guy overvalues himself. If he didn't he would have signed already. Most of those teams need to improve at LT, so I could see them not wanting to overpay. But, not getting signed by the Eagles, whose LT is out for the season, just shows that either teams don't think much of him as a person (comes off as DUMB as a box of rocks if you read his twitter) or more likely, he's pricing himself out of the market. Wonder what team offered him the most?

I really don't see he necessarily is overvaluing himself (he may be, we don't really know the numbers), and even if he is why it is not the smart thing to do. He is in a fairly unique position because of the injury history.

I'm just making these numbers up, but if he didn't get hurt last year, he likely would be signing for 5-7 million a year. Teams are probably offering him closer to 1-2 because there is no way you can devote that much money to him, or a long term deal. Even when he is healthy he is only pretty good, he is not great. Him and his agent no doubt think he is not going to get hurt again, it was just bum luck. And they are just waiting for a bigger deal. Sure they are probably asking for too much and probably way too much, but he is also likely to get a little more money doing it this way than just signing with someone already.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I don't know. If he wait until after the draft, less teams will need him because some of those teams will draft an lt high. If the bills draft an lt in the first, they will pull any offer they offered him. Once teams start pulling their offers, it will only get harder for him

I don't know. If he wait until after the draft, less teams will need him because some of those teams will draft an lt high. If the bills draft an lt in the first, they will pull any offer they offered him. Once teams start pulling their offers, it will only get harder for him

Or teams will miss their guy and he will be the last chance to land someone

My guess is it was the Bills and Bell felt slighted so his agent has been shopping him around hoping that someone - anyone - will pay a penny more so that Bell can "save face" and not have to come crawling back.

Or teams will miss their guy and he will be the last chance to land someone

Kalil is the only plug and play tackle in the draft. I don't see the two things being mutually exclusive. That said, if he is on his nationwide tour looking for the most cash and didn't sign with the latest team to bring him in, it's fair to say that no one has met his asking price. I think Kelly's numbers are spot on. The issue being, that though Bell can make assurances he is a healthy player, he has an injury history that refutes that. My guess, he'll sign somewhere for 2 years in the 4M range per year. Like Kelly, I agree that he's probably looking for 4 years and around 30M.

Edited by ndirish1978

My guess is it was the Bills and Bell felt slighted so his agent has been shopping him around hoping that someone - anyone - will pay a penny more so that Bell can "save face" and not have to come crawling back.

Well it would appear that opportunity has now passed for Demetrius...

Link - After visiting Eagles, Bell is still a free agent

He came, he saw, he left without a contract. Demetrius Bell was still a free agent when he departed Philadelphia after visiting with the Eagles over the weekend. The left tackle has met with four teams, including the Pittsburgh Steelers, Arizona Cardinals, and Green Bay Packers, since the start of free agency last month.

But he remains on the market even though the Eagles were scrambling to find a starting left tackle after Jason Peters suffered a ruptured Achilles tendon last week. It was unclear exactly why a deal wasn't struck Sunday, although one source close to the situation said that Bell was impressed with what saw and heard during his stay at the NovaCare Complex.

It would seem the Eagles were not equally impressed with Bell. (Nor, apparently, were any of the other teams he visited.)

Link - Demetrius Bell's agent tells NBC10 he'll decide on team this week

He visited teams, will talk deals this week. Birds looking at 1 year deal.

Yeah...right. :rolleyes:

In other words, "Hey Buddy, I think we might be ready to make a counter-offer."

I'm reminded of another famously strong negotiator...

US troops were about to throw a hand grenade down into the spider hole when they heard the most improbable words, "I am Saddam Hussein, the president of Iraq, and I am willing to negotiate..."

The response from the US soldier was, "President Bush sends his regards." :beer:

Edited by The Senator

Well it would appear that opportunity has now passed for Demetrius...

Link - After visiting Eagles, Bell is still a free agent

He came, he saw, he left without a contract. Demetrius Bell was still a free agent when he departed Philadelphia after visiting with the Eagles over the weekend. The left tackle has met with four teams, including the Pittsburgh Steelers, Arizona Cardinals, and Green Bay Packers, since the start of free agency last month.

But he remains on the market even though the Eagles were scrambling to find a starting left tackle after Jason Peters suffered a ruptured Achilles tendon last week. It was unclear exactly why a deal wasn't struck Sunday, although one source close to the situation said that Bell was impressed with what saw and heard during his stay at the NovaCare Complex.

It would seem the Eagles were not equally impressed with Bell. (Nor, apparently, were any of the other teams he visited.)

Link - Demetrius Bell's agent tells NBC10 he'll decide on team this week

He visited teams, will talk deals this week. Birds looking at 1 year deal.

Yeah...right. :rolleyes:

In other words, "Hey Buddy, I think we might be ready to make a counter-offer."

There will be no counter-offer. Take it or leave it.