Demetrius Bell - Now an Eagle

I believe it would be in the best interest of the team to re-sign Demetrius Bell, our starting left tackle from last season. Our offensive line really worked well together, even with the rash of injuries, giving up the fewest sacks I can recall in recent memory. It would also stop the decade long "develope and watch them leave" approach to our left tackle position. We can then use our draft to build up our depth at linebacker, cornerback, wide receiver, and tackle. Heck, we can throw in a few more pass rushers while we're at it. I wouldn't mind seeing Floyd or Kirkpatrick picked at 10 if we're not sold on the available tackles.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe it would be in the best interest of the team to re-sign Demetrius Bell, our starting left tackle from last season. Our offensive line really worked well together, even with the rash of injuries, giving up the fewest sacks I can recall in recent memory. It would also stop the decade long "develope and watch them leave" approach to our left tackle position. We can then use our draft to build up our depth at linebacker, cornerback, wide receiver, and tackle. Heck, we can throw in a few more pass dusters while we're at it. I wouldn't mind seeing Floyd or Kirkpatrick picked at 10 if we're not sold on the available tackles.

Agree totally. I'd love to see him come back and take the talk of top 10 OT out of the conversation

Make no doubt, I reaaaalllllly hope we do too. But the Bills have made their offer and Bell as declined to counter. The man is shopping around free agency and I wouldn't be surprised if he finds a taker.

Same thing happened with Alex Smith and he came back to San Fran with his tail between his legs.

That said, I hope we resign Bell, too -- without any modifications to the original offer.

Edited by Suddenly Defense

Same thing happened with Alex Smith and he came back to San Fran with his tail between his legs.

That said, I hope we resign Bell, too -- without any modifications to the original offer.

Smith also had his competition sign with someone else. But I think we can consider Bell having fewer offers than Peyton Manning. :thumbsup:

I am for re-signing Bell....

....but I absolutely against using the draft for toys.

We did that with Roscoe Parrish, Kyle Everett, etc.....although I am still a fan of the Spiller pick.

Drafting solidly now, is how we avoid what we had to do from 2005-2010....which is hoping we can draft 5 starters from our top 5 picks. :wallbash:

I'd like to get back to "normal" where your draft picks have a chance to be rookies, not starters, learn the game, routine etc.

If we lose Bell, then we have think Hairston is the stater, and we're back on the bad cycle. And, now, who is the back up OT? The roster says we have 2. That's not good.

In fact, rather than looking for toys, if we don't sign Bell, don't we have to consider drafting a T 2 times in the first 3 rounds?

Smith also had his competition sign with someone else. But I think we can consider Bell having fewer offers than Peyton Manning. :thumbsup:

true about Smith and Manning.

but Bell had Zona look at him eand then re-sign Brown,

Redskins are th eonly other team to have him in, that i am aware of. He left D.C w/o a contract.

Has to make you wonder if he is being stubborn/getting bad advice, or has not seen anything better then the Bills offer.

Also, he has to be sitting there watching what Buffalo is doing, and saying 'that team is trying to win, why do i not negotiate with them?'

Either way i expect he signs with someone before end of month. teams typically like to spend April really focusing on all the diferent draft scenarios.

Bell's agent is probably like" "No Demetrius, you can't just go back to Buffalo just because they signed Mario, signed Mark, and re-signed Stevie and Bryan. No- f-you. I need my larger commission and you need to find a place with better money. What? No, I don't care. Be a man and I'll show you the money."

I believe it would be in the best interest of the team to re-sign Demetrius Bell, our starting left tackle from last season. Our offensive line really worked well together, even with the rash of injuries, giving up the fewest sacks I can recall in recent memory. It would also stop the decade long "develope and watch them leave" approach to our left tackle position. We can then use our draft to build up our depth at linebacker, cornerback, wide receiver, and tackle. Heck, we can throw in a few more pass dusters while we're at it. I wouldn't mind seeing Floyd or Kirkpatrick picked at 10 if we're not sold on the available tackles.

I'm not opposed to seeing Bell in a BILLS uniform next year, but based upon previous performance history, I would rather we spend our 10th pick on a LT, if in fact we stay put in the 10 spot....I understand what you mean in that you can then have even more flexibility in the Draft, and I'm all for Bell coming back due to the need for depth at the Tackle position, but even if he did/does come back, if we stay at 10th, I would like to see us Draft a true LT...but, we're still a long way off from that, so I guess we'll see...

I have a feeling he'll be a Bill next year. Any bets nix offered him a contract, then was told if he could find better we will match it? Bell, is one of my favorite Bills in a long time. I love under dogs and because I hated Karl Malone for the way he treated magic Johnson. I hope he becomes great, simply to hear how horrible Malone is as a human.

I'm not opposed to seeing Bell in a BILLS uniform next year, but based upon previous performance history, I would rather we spend our 10th pick on a LT, if in fact we stay put in the 10 spot....I understand what you mean in that you can then have even more flexibility in the Draft, and I'm all for Bell coming back due to the need for depth at the Tackle position, but even if he did/does come back, if we stay at 10th, I would like to see us Draft a true LT...but, we're still a long way off from that, so I guess we'll see...

If he ever gets off his behind, and improves his strength to go with his athletic ability, he could be a true lt in the league. Since he was rehabbing from injury every offseason but the lockout one up till now, I am curious to see if having an offseason with Strength and conditioning coach can fix this issue for him. He has the frame to carry allot more muscle, just not sure he has the drive to put it on there. If he ever does, we will be glad we kept him, or will be another why did we let him go story on site for long time.

If he ever gets off his behind, and improves his strength to go with his athletic ability, he could be a true lt in the league. Since he was rehabbing from injury every offseason but the lockout one up till now, I am curious to see if having an offseason with Strength and conditioning coach can fix this issue for him. He has the frame to carry allot more muscle, just not sure he has the drive to put it on there. If he ever does, we will be glad we kept him, or will be another why did we let him go story on site for long time.

If I can re-state in my own words your basic thought, and I apologize if it is inaccurate, but what it sounds like you're saying is: "If Bell gets stronger and stays healthy he can be a very good LT"....if that's true, I don't know that many of us would dispute this fact and I would be one to generally concur with this general opinion.....However, the problem has been he has yet to do just that. So, that's why I am in favor of bringing him back if possible, but would like to see us 2 to 3 good Tackles deep on the BILLS roster thereby my reasoning for drafting a true LT at 10....but I suppose, this may all be moot if Bell signs somewhere else...

I have a feeling he'll be a Bill next year. Any bets nix offered him a contract, then was told if he could find better we will match it? Bell, is one of my favorite Bills in a long time. I love under dogs and because I hated Karl Malone for the way he treated magic Johnson. I hope he becomes great, simply to hear how horrible Malone is as a human.

What?

I kind of hope we don't resign Bell unless its for an extremely good-for-the-Bills contract. While he is a above average LT, he can't stay on the field. I'd much rather draft a couple of tackles in the first three rounds and have some security.

What did Karl Malone do to Magic Johnson?

Karl Malone say you got da Beanie Baby?

If I can re-state in my own words your basic thought, and I apologize if it is inaccurate, but what it sounds like you're saying is: "If Bell gets stronger and stays healthy he can be a very good LT"....if that's true, I don't know that many of us would dispute this fact and I would be one to generally concur with this general opinion.....However, the problem has been he has yet to do just that. So, that's why I am in favor of bringing him back if possible, but would like to see us 2 to 3 good Tackles deep on the BILLS roster thereby my reasoning for drafting a true LT at 10....but I suppose, this may all be moot if Bell signs somewhere else...

I actually think if he improves his strength, the staying healthy part comes with it. Allot of his injuries were because of his lack of strength and the way he was trying to compensate for being overpowered so much.

I do not argue with you that need a long term solution if he doesnt take that next step, and time to get it is this draft since is keep in ot prospects. I am not sure their will be anyone left worth a top 20 pick besides top 10 by time Bills pick, but I dont know the rating Bills have on the players. Only see 2 tackles that feel should be taken in top half of draft, but they may see someone they really like. I really think they used first pick on another position and trade back into first round for thier LT, if they dont trade down.

sounds like a really good plan

bring back Bell and again ignore the LT position

after being injured for most of every season in the NFL, what makes you think relying on this walking injury is a good idea.

just so you can write his name down at LT so you can chase some more RBs