Andy LeVitre or Jairus Byrd??

Estro

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The answer would be to cut Kelsey and keep both. But I would draft this year for depth at the guard position to prepare for Levitre potentially leaving. Byrd has made the pro bowl competing with Reed and Polamalu, Levetre is not quite there yet.

Gotta see what happens this season. Back to 4-3 and with a better pass rush Byrd may put up big time pro bowl numbers again. Byrd also elevated his physical game and tackling abilities since rookie season. Hard to let a guy like that go when capable guards are common in free agency and the draft.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

To me it's Byrd. I'm never a big fan of putting big money into an offensive guard. I just feel like no matter what level the player plays at, it's easy to find interior offensive linemen who can do the job. Byrd is a playmaker in the secondary, and in my opinion elevated his game last year to become one of the better all around safeties in the league.

I want to keep both, but Byrd is the priority....IMO

To me it's Byrd. I'm never a big fan of putting big money into an offensive guard. I just feel like no matter what level the player plays at, it's easy to find interior offensive linemen who can do the job. Byrd is a playmaker in the secondary, and in my opinion elevated his game last year to become one of the better all around safeties in the league.

With that being said, if you want to keep them both and you want to get an early start on it, I would sign Levitre first. I believe the franchise tag number for a safety would be significantly lower than for a G, since offensive linemen all get franchised at the same number, Levitre would make the average of the top 5 LT's in the NFL even though he is a G. It would be easier to tag Byrd if the situation came up

With that being said, if you want to keep them both and you want to get an early start on it, I would sign Levitre first. I believe the franchise tag number for a safety would be significantly lower than for a G, since offensive linemen all get franchised at the same number, Levitre would make the average of the top 5 LT's in the NFL even though he is a G. It would be easier to tag Byrd if the situation came up

Have you not witnessed our online over the past decade With Mike Gandy, Tuten Reyes, Melvin Fowler, Dockery, They should have put you in the front office if it where easy

LeVitre.

He is a great gaurd. Wonder though if him and Chan kissed and made up since the preseason when he got dropped on depth chart for a minute. Or if that was just a stunt by Chan?

I like Byrd, was told right after the draft that he would be an impact player for us, by a guy i know in the Falcons Orig.

Same guy told me Maybin was a huge gamble...he was right on both. Ha

Tough one. I think Byrd may be closer to being an elite S than Levitre is to being an elite OG, but I agree that OL is more important than S. Best to just keep both, I would hate to see either leave.

There will be money for both, Mario's contract gets slightly cheaper next year (so will others and the cap will rise sooner than later). The tricky part is doing the deals early enough. Nelson is a must too, something's gotta give and there maybe tougher choices this year than last. I want them all back. Freddy is going to take some change too. Honestly I guess, Edwards is gone but I doubt they cut many vets loose from the D.

Edited by bowery4

He's not on the same level as these two but another key free agent after next season is David Nelson. After seeing how much wideouts got this offseason need to get him locked up. Plenty of cash to go around, that isn't a concern. The bills won't have to choose who they can try to keep, they can afford them all.

Pretty sure David Nelson and Donald Jones will both be RFA next offseason, meaning the Bills will be able to protect them from other teams.

I'd start with LeVitre like Deep2Moulds mentioned. With the money coming in from NFL TV after this next season, they can pay one up front in 13 and have the other's big bonus guaranteed to hit in 14. Problem solved.

Is this the perfect time to have more cash on the way with the tv deal, or what? We FINALLY have some young players that we want to try to keep, and perhaps otherwise we would not have been able to do so. The money and cap increase will give us more flexibility than we would have had otherwise.