Did Ralph admit tampering?

I'm sure I am just misunderstanding the rule. Is it not still tampering if the agent initiates it?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-ralphwilson

Wilson said the Bills’ pursuit of Williams began when the player’s agent contacted the team to gauge its interest after it became apparent the Texans didn’t have enough salary-cap space to re-sign the star pass rusher.

“He said, `It’s down to four teams,’ and I said, `Well, put us in the mix,”’ Wilson said.

The next step came Tuesday, when the Bills sent a private plane to North Carolina to pick up Williams and fly him back to Buffalo.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Every team in the league will signal their intentions as far back as the East-West Shrine game, Senior Bowl and then the Combine!! The agents are as thick as thieves at the all-star contests, and words get exchanged, bet on it. The NFL would be up to their collective a$$es if they investigated all of that nonsense!

Every team in the league will signal their intentions as far back as the East-West Shrine game, Senior Bowl and then the Combine!! The agents are as thick as thieves at the all-star contests, and words get exchanged, bet on it. The NFL would be up to their collective a$$es if they investigated all of that nonsense!

Except I've never seen it so openly admitted.

Besides, free agency is one of the "crowning jewels" of the offseason, and they won't foul their own nest with half-truths and inuendo! There is far too much at stake for the league. The nasty truth will remain covered to keep up appearances.

Vincent Jackson traveled to Tampa Bay and signed within a couple of hours. That couldn't happen unless there were several conversations prior to Tuesday.

I understand everyone does it. But you're not supposed to admit it. When you do, and/or someone complains, I think the league investigates.

I understand everyone does it. But you're not supposed to admit it. When you do, and/or someone complains, I think the league investigates.

Unless the media picks it up, the league has too many scandals already. That said I think you see a "transition period" written in someday. You can talk to teams for a week or two before free agency starts maybe, as an example.

I'm sure I am just misunderstanding the rule. Is it not still tampering if the agent initiates it?

The way I interpret it, is the agent was simply calling around to find out which teams were interested, and Ralph added the Bills to the list. But actual discussions on contract did not happen until 4:01pm Tuesday.

Think of it this way, there's an auction on something you really like, but it doesn't start for several days. But to be part of the auction, you need to be on the list. Actual bids can't be put in until the auction starts though.

The way I interpret it, is the agent was simply calling around to find out which teams were interested, and Ralph added the Bills to the list. But actual discussions on contract did not happen until 4:01pm Tuesday.

Think of it this way, there's an auction on something you really like, but it doesn't start for several days. But to be part of the auction, you need to be on the list. Actual bids can't be put in until the auction starts though.

Which by definition is tampering. Teams aren't supposed to have any contact with players or their agents until FA starts.

Yes everyone skirts the rules, it was odd to me that Wilson basically admitted it.

Which by definition is tampering. Teams aren't supposed to have any contact with players or their agents until FA starts.

Disagree. The agent reached out to determine potential interest in meeting with his client. The Bills had no contact with Williams until the 4:00 pm deadline, when they picked him up in NC...

Disagree. The agent reached out to determine potential interest in meeting with his client. The Bills had no contact with Williams until the 4:00 pm deadline, when they picked him up in NC...

Don't think you are even allowed to do that. I billieve it's no contact with play or agent until fa begins...