Did Ralph admit tampering?

Right, but what's being said here is that the club talked to the agent about the player before the beginning of Free Agency. Which would be tampering.

Or maybe the agent talked to the club?

Buddy picks up phone.

Agent says "We know your cap room. If you've got $40-50M in guarantees, be here at 4:01 with a plane."

Buddy hangs up phone.

Tampering?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's only an issue if the Texans can prove that by tampering, the Bills prevented them from re-signing him. His contract parameters were established, and the Texans didn't have the room to fit him. Moreover, as per MW, the Texans never even made him offer. There's nothing to see here.

That's also not true. The fact that an employee under contract was told by another team that they wanted to offer him a deal taints houstons negotiations.

I like how everyone is an expert at loopholes to a very easy rule. Even the other 3 teams (if true) that he didn't visit would be guilty here.

Buddy picks up phone.

Agent says "We know your cap room. If you've got $40-50M in guarantees, be here at 4:01 with a plane."

Buddy hangs up phone.

Tampering?

Surely you don't think that's what really happened? Further, not reporting it to the league would likely put him in the same spot.

Edited by NoSaint

Buddy picks up phone.

Buddy hangs up phone.

Tampering?

Is a one sided conversation still a conversation? I don't think it matters, because I don't think there's any chance that that's not what happened. First, the article says we told the agent to put us on the list. Second, do you think if we don't speak to the agent beforehand he is going to schedule Buffalo for the first visit?

The bottom line is it probably doesn't matter unless Houston decides to make it an issue, but this is probably tampering (according to the letter of the law.)

Thae agent calls to "gauge interest" (he got a damn good payday for that phone call, by the way) and the club says yeah put me on the list. Sounds like the agent is doing the tampering, which is in his rights. The club is going to say no? That is outside the rules... there was a list, for effs sake. I think the league is right to let this lay. The only thing Buddy ever said is we are going to go after DEs, he didn't name Williams. Ralph just got on a list (in a move not initiated by him) and Texas didn't make an offer.

Didn't Williams confirm on via Twitter that the Texan's never made him an offer? If you don't even offer a player an agreement how can you claim you were harmed?

You don't know if they changed their mind ...

Again this happens all the time. Otherwise how do guys sign one minute after FA begins. But under strict interpretation of the rules it's tampering.

It's is tampering according to the rules (I think Nosaint posted the rule); but everyone knows that this kind of contact occurs - especially at the combine.

Agreed on all fronts. Anyone justifying it is wrong, frankly. That said- it's about 100:1 odds anything comes of it. Like I said - this whole conversation is on par with debating a speeding ticket for 62 in a 55. Was passing someone, going down a hill or in a hurry aren't legal excuses - nor is everyone does it - but you'd be hardpressed to get that ticket