Bills left out in cold...again

trigger

Seems like every year Bills fans whip themselves into a frenzy about free agents coming to the Bills. Perhaps this year was different because even certain members of the media contributed to the frenzy with tweets and texts about imminent deapls. Rubbish. Big names will only visit the Bills to drive up their value or gain leverage with their own teams. Can you blame Meachem for choosing a city with the best weather in the country over one with...well...not the best? In the midst of the craziness yesterday, Hasselback from ESPN said he had no idea why Williams was choosing to go to Buffalo first. I think we have our answer now. Let's face it. The Bills can't catch the big fish. The best they have done since the playoff run in the '90's is throw in their line and caught the fish that most teams would throw back in the water.

Whether Mario Williams signs or not, I give the Bills brass lots credit for trying which has not always been the case here in years past. Reports are the Bills' offer makes Williams the highest paid defensive player in the NFL. What else can they do?

Seems like every year Bills fans whip themselves into a frenzy about free agents coming to the Bills. Perhaps this year was different because even certain members of the media contributed to the frenzy with tweets and texts about imminent deapls. Rubbish. Big names will only visit the Bills to drive up their value or gain leverage with their own teams. Can you blame Meachem for choosing a city with the best weather in the country over one with...well...not the best? In the midst of the craziness yesterday, Hasselback from ESPN said he had no idea why Williams was choosing to go to Buffalo first. I think we have our answer now. Let's face it. The Bills can't catch the big fish. The best they have done since the playoff run in the '90's is throw in their line and caught the fish that most teams would throw back in the water.

I think the weather thing is waaayyy overrated. I mean seriously, these guys are multi millionares, they have homes wherever they want. The reason Meachem left is because he was getting more money, he's going to be a number one receiver, he's going to have phillip rivers throwing him the ball, he's in a vertical attack offense just a few things off the top. It's a no brainer, I'm sure the weather did play a certain role but there's a lot more factors than that.

Whether Mario Williams signs or not, I give the Bills brass lots credit for trying which has not always been the case here in years past. Reports are the Bills' offer makes Williams the highest paid defensive player in the NFL. What else can they do?

What else can they do?!? Get him drunk and get him to sign.

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Every year when we don't sign someone, people here say we should have offered more money. I hope the Meacham debacle proves that sometimes it doesn't matter how much you offer.

PTR

PTR - several posters are claiming SD offered more $$ - do we actually know what the Bills offer was? Thnx!

Mario is BY FAR the most important issue. We sign him - the rest really is just icing...

ESPN didn't provide a lot to back it up, but said or at least implied that SD came in with a much bigger offer than the Bills and one other team. Would look up the link, but I'm posting on my phone.

If it's true, then that one was 100% about money, which is fine. Meachem is not worth breaking the bank for.

As for Mario, no comment.

Seriously, the woe is me stuff on the board is tiresome. The Bills are trying to change a perception and they are doing everything they can. What more do you expect? And for g-sakes, it isn't like they've lost Mario. They are having meetings this morning and those will continue today. If they don't wind up signing him, that's life. They are trying their best and putting their money toward the goal of signing him. They tried with Meachem, it didn't work out, move on and stop beating the team up over it. We can certainly fault them for getting into this mess over 15+ years of ineptitude, but don't fault them now for doing what I believe to be some really good moves/strategies this time around.

And yes, they should get him drunk at lunch today. Contracts go much quicker when that happens.

Until people spend time in Western New York and see what the area has to offer, and the wealth of state parks in New York all within a short drive, and not to mention what Canada has to offer, there will always be a negative image of the city and the area due to the massive industrial and shipping exodus and the weather during the winter.

I would move home in 2 seconds flat if the job market was stronger, I miss calling Buffalo home, but when players don't want to come to Buffalo I wonder how much of it is due to how the franchise is run rather than the area its-self?

Who wants to sign onto a team that has historically been very stingy with the money, and has seen talent vacate year in and year out? If anything that is the real deterrent.

I second that comment. Buffalo has much better weather than either Cleveland, Minneapolis or Pittsburg. People still want to live in the Buffalo area and the summers are very nice.

Buffalo does not have better weather than any of those cities. And it's Pittsburgh.

Seriously, the woe is me stuff on the board is tiresome. The Bills are trying to change a perception and they are doing everything they can. What more do you expect? And for g-sakes, it isn't like they've lost Mario. They are having meetings this morning and those will continue today. If they don't wind up signing him, that's life. They are trying their best and putting their money toward the goal of signing him. They tried with Meachem, it didn't work out, move on and stop beating the team up over it. We can certainly fault them for getting into this mess over 15+ years of ineptitude, but don't fault them now for doing what I believe to be some really good moves/strategies this time around.

And yes, they should get him drunk at lunch today. Contracts go much quicker when that happens.

It's concerning that "trying their best" might not be enough.

The top coaches - Cowher, Shanahan - wouldn't even consider us back in 2009.

During last year's free agency, Tyson Clabo used us for leverage, then re-signed with the Falcons.

Now Mario.

If the problem is our front office - we can always have hope they will someday be replaced with aggressive and competent people. If the problem is that nobody wants to come here, then we have no hope to ever build a winner again.

Until people spend time in Western New York and see what the area has to offer, and the wealth of state parks in New York all within a short drive, and not to mention what Canada has to offer, there will always be a negative image of the city and the area due to the massive industrial and shipping exodus and the weather during the winter.

I would move home in 2 seconds flat if the job market was stronger, I miss calling Buffalo home, but when players don't want to come to Buffalo I wonder how much of it is due to how the franchise is run rather than the area its-self?

Who wants to sign onto a team that has historically been very stingy with the money, and has seen talent vacate year in and year out? If anything that is the real deterrent.

That should not have been the deterrent this year when the Bills re-signed a bunch of key players. The problem is the vast industrial wasteland in certain parts of the city. NYS needs to give some $$ to Buffalo to knock that crap down and either put a park there or attract a mall there. Either way, get rid of the old abandoned rusting factories.

This was really a total EPIC FAIL on the Bills part. On a positive note, in compared to years past at least the Bills kept their own guys (Johnson, Chandler, etc.). But bringing a guy in on a private jet and making it so public, only to have him sign elsewhere while in Buffalo is a total embarrassment to the franchise.

Anyone who thinks the weather or the city is the main culprit for so far not signing MW is delusional. Now that they're offering big money to UFA's it's a step in the right direction. However, the team needs to show this isn't a one-shot deal and a plan is in place to contend immediately. If players don't believe their plan isn't good enough, they'll move on. Williams' deal will probably be the last major one of his career and he wants to win as well.

I don't think it has anything to do with the city or the weather. If that were a key criteria, then no one would go to New England, Philly, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincy, GB...

Players want money, want to feel comfortable in the scheme and in the locker room, and some want to win.