I'm tired of mistakingly clicking on Bob Matthews editorials

eball

Ok, so I see the article entitled "Bills will watch their wallet" on TBD this morning and think to myself, "that's interesting; I've heard from Buddy that they'll be aggressive in FA, so I wonder if anything new was reported."

Of course, after clicking on the link I see it's nothing more than horse-racing expert Matthews opining about what players the Bills will target, with absolutely no news of any sort to back it up.

As a potential TBD upgrade, could we possibly get the author's name added to the article description so we know whose trash we're about to read?

While I don't particularly care for Bob Matthews' columns' content, I do appreciate the format wherein he places the names of those discussed in bold print. A quick scan permits me to make the read-don't read decision.

If you really want to blow your brains out try listening to his terrible radio show when he has that traitor piece of crap has Fred Smerlas on for 2 hours of Patriots man love.

Is that still on? Smerlas is the worst... I remeber, a few years ago, he did some fill-in weekend work on Fox Sports Radio (or was it Sporting News Radio), and he was just awful to listen to.

In the pre-internet days Bob could be seen regularly at World Wide News on St. Paul Street, buying copies of all the out-of-town papers so he could crib items from real sportswriters for his column. Now, of course, he doesn't even have to leave his desk.

As a radio host, though, he's a great columnist. I listen just to hear him mangle names.

Is that still on? Smerlas is the worst... I remeber, a few years ago, he did some fill-in weekend work on Fox Sports Radio (or was it Sporting News Radio), and he was just awful to listen to.

Unfortunately he is still on. "Hi there baawwwb..."

I dispise Sal Maiorana as well. He did an article basically stating don't expect much from the Bills in FA. Which given the Bills history I can understand, and he quoted Nix's earlier statments about building through the draft. BUT, he then doesn't acknowledge that Nix has now said they are going to be big players this year in FA. Spend to the cap etc.

Ok, so I see the article entitled "Bills will watch their wallet" on TBD this morning and think to myself, "that's interesting; I've heard from Buddy that they'll be aggressive in FA, so I wonder if anything new was reported."

Of course, after clicking on the link I see it's nothing more than horse-racing expert Matthews opining about what players the Bills will target, with absolutely no news of any sort to back it up.

As a potential TBD upgrade, could we possibly get the author's name added to the article description so we know whose trash we're about to read?

Could be worse. Could click on Peter Pan.....actually Matthews may be worse.

+1

I'd like to see the author listed as well, but not because of Bob Matthews.

The main reason I click on Jerry Sullivan articles is because I like to guess if he wrote it based on doom and gloom titles and summaries. I'd prefer to be able to play that game without crediting him with webpage hits.

I love hearing John the Optimist and Matthews sparring on the radio.. Funny stuff. I like Smeralas's politics but his knowledge of the modern game is limited, much like Bob. Bob is a pessemist on the Bills, and maybe for good reason, but last year at the start of the season when they were doing well, his attitudes changed and he was on the bandwagon for a while, unitl, of couse when he saw an opportunity to jump back off when they stared losing again..

I think Bob would love nothing more than to see the Bills win, but he has been so demoralized over the last 12 years that it's tough to say anything possitive about the franshise.

Tim-

See I actually scan TBD FOR Sullivan articles... I love him LOL. So yeah, that would be a cool feature. I've gotten good at just knowing who wrote it based on the headline though.

I love hearing John the Optimist and Matthews sparring on the radio.. Funny stuff. I like Smeralas's politics but his knowledge of the modern game is limited, much like Bob. Bob is a pessemist on the Bills, and maybe for good reason, but last year at the start of the season when they were doing well, his attitudes changed and he was on the bandwagon for a while, unitl, of couse when he saw an opportunity to jump back off when they stared losing again..

I think Bob would love nothing more than to see the Bills win, but he has been so demoralized over the last 12 years that it's tough to say anything possitive about the franshise.

Tim-

[/quote Good Call:thumbsup:

Matthews is greatly influenced by Fred Smerlas who hates the Bills. Their radio show is nothing but an on-air circle jerk.

PTR

Smerlas is such a jack-ass. Pains me to say it, but even in their playing days in Buffalo, he, and his buddy Haslett were class A jerks. I remember when the Bills were looking for a coach (can't remember now, if it was when they hired Williams, Mularkey or Jauron) but Smerlas was on the Rochester radio station, publically trying to start a fan movement for the Bills to hire Haslett as HC, and Smerlas would, naturally have loved to work on the Bills radio broadcasts. This was from the guy who has did nothing before, or after, but bash the franchise and the owner. I have had my issues with Ralph Wilson from time to time, but the fact that Haslett was always more interested in the Bills coaching job, than the Bills were in hiring him, was sound thinking on the old man's part, as far as I am concerned.

PTR, as I reacall you were a radio guy in WNY at one time? Do you recall when Smerlas and Haslett had a radio show, with John Murphy (IIRC) on WBEN in the early to mid-80's? They both thought they were hot ****...would threaten fans with bodily harm...every phone call sounded like two stupid high school bullies...I used to feel bad for John Murphy, tyring to calm things down...as I recall, during the glorious 1984 or 1985 season, it had gotten so out of hand, WBEN pulled the plug on the show... too bad too. Those early 80's teams are amongst my all-time favorite Bills teams...and Smerlas was a fine player in his day... but, a total "earf wurm" as he might say.

Edited by Buftex