Arena League Owner Cuts Entire Team

Key sentence from article:

"With AFL players set to strike before the 2012 season opener, owner Matt Shaner reacted first, cutting his entire team hours before kickoff of a game against the Orlando Predators."

I aint got no problem with that. I dont mean it as a political statement, but he's the owner.

"we're about to go on strike."

"okay, then gtf out. And dont bother coming back. And dont forget your breadsticks."

Am I missing something here?

Edited by maddenboy

I went to my first Arena football game last night watching Georgia vs Cleveland. The game is a little different, but overall it was a good time. I can't believe these guys only get a few hundred dollars for what they do. They were hitting pretty hard out there.

I went to my first Arena football game last night watching Georgia vs Cleveland. The game is a little different, but overall it was a good time. I can't believe these guys only get a few hundred dollars for what they do. They were hitting pretty hard out there.

Switch that, I can't believe they are so stupid to do what they do for a few hundred dollars. They hit pretty hard because they have been hit pretty hard tooooooooo many times....duh :wallbash:

"With AFL players set to strike before the 2012 season opener, owner Matt Shaner reacted first, cutting his entire team hours before kickoff of a game against the Orlando Predators."

I aint got no problem with that. I dont mean it as a political statement, but he's the owner.

"okay, then gtf out. And dont bother coming back. And dont forget your breadsticks."

I have read elsewhere that the team planned to strike right after the national anthem. The game was televised by NFLN. If this is true, I can't blame the owner. If not, well, it is a little dickish to fly someone to Florida, fire him, and tell him to get back home on his own dime.

well put

Hahaha this is an outstanding maneuver by the owner.

I'm not a big fan of management, but negotiations are all about understanding how much leverage you have and when to use it.

Obviously these arena league guys don't have much, and they were stupid enough to make public what their plans were.

The simple fact is, these guys can be replaced by guys off the street an hour before kickoff and the quality of the product doesn't decrease too much.

They over-valued themselves and got burned for it.

RTB

I have read elsewhere that the team planned to strike right after the national anthem. The game was televised by NFLN. If this is true, I can't blame the owner. If not, well, it is a little dickish to fly someone to Florida, fire him, and tell him to get back home on his own dime.

Yup. You make plans to go on strike, you deserve whatever you get in return.

But I'm sure their union is taking great care of them.

Yup. You make plans to go on strike, you deserve whatever you get in return.

But I'm sure their union is taking great care of them.

I'm not quite there. But if the plan was to wait until the coin flip and anthem and then walk off of the field (rink?) on "national" TV, then the owner was really left with no practical choice but to preemptively fire them and find new players for the game.

Arena football is shooting fish in a barrel. TDs like 3pt baskets. It ain't football. I'd rather watch the UFL.

PTR

I always feel the only reason to cheer is when the oppossing team doesnt score a TD...