If history is any indicator (it is)

Let me start buy saying although Vincent Jackson is a Buddy Nix guy the Redskins and probably Tampa are going to throw the farm at him and Nix is to smart to get in a bidding war. Mario Williams is simply not coming to Buffalo. He has stated that it is more about a right fit for him and not the money. He said something along the lines of how he is already rich from his rookie contract.

WR- Look for them to sign Eddie Royal or Early Doucet. Chan knows Royal well from coaching against him at Georgia Tech. Buddy knows Doucet well from scouting that region for the Chargers.

They will hope whoever they get will make a decent # 2 Receiver. I would also look for the to draft a small speed receiver with one of our picks in the 4th round.

LT- It appears the Bills will let Bell test the market. That being said I don't think he will be back. Look for them to spend the #10 pick on a tackle. They seem to view Hairston as a great depth swing tackle rather than a starter.

DE- This will be addressed in the second round of the draft with a guy like Vin Curry or Cam Johnson. Branch will be gone. Buddy made it clear he thinks there will still be quality at DE by round 2.

OLB- Our one big free agent will be Kamerion Wimbley. He will be released. It is thought the Chargers and Bills will have the most interest in him. The Chargers are not in the position to offer him what the Bills can and will. Wimbley strikes me as a guy that $ is the sole factor as to where he will play. I think Dave Wannstedt will use him as a 2 down LB and a 3rd down DE.

CB- I believe we will address this in the 3rd round of the draft and possibly a low teir free agent.

So there you have it, what I beleive will be are two biggest free agent signings and our first four draft positions. Not all that exciting, but realistic knowing how Buddy and co. run things. With these moves Buddy will be able to focus on extending his own guys like Levitre and Bryd when the time comes, which he has made clear is his #1 priority. Flame away.

I'd best extremely pleased with Royal or a similar type (Manningham, Doucet, Meachem) and any decent LB or DE. I'd rather have the DE since were in a 4-3 now but I'd settle for either as long as the other is updated via draft and small FA signings (like Morrison last year). I'm worried about losing Bell but I really like Hairston. I think Chan and Buddy feel Hairston could possibly start in the LT spot if needed and should improve but he's really suited better for the RT IMO. It's good we have our RT locked up and Hairston to backup both positions if we do draft a LT early this draft.

Edit: I'd rather have Lloyd than any of the other WRs after Jackson and Bowe and personally consider him the beat option after those 2. I know he'll demand a bit more money than a Royal, Manningham, Meachem, Doucet type guy but will still be considerably less than VJ and DB.

Edited by mrags

Let me start buy saying although Vincent Jackson is a Buddy Nix guy the Redskins and probably Tampa are going to throw the farm at him and Nix is to smart to get in a bidding war. Mario Williams is simply not coming to Buffalo. He has stated that it is more about a right fit for him and not the money. He said something along the lines of how he is already rich from his rookie contract.

Everybody says this, and usually mean it when they say it. But their agent will usually do a good job of convincing them that the "right fit" happens to be the team with the biggest offer on the table. I don't expect the Bills to go after Williams, but I'd love it if they did. No harm in trying, anyway.

WR- Look for them to sign Eddie Royal or Early Doucet. Chan knows Royal well from coaching against him at Georgia Tech. Buddy knows Doucet well from scouting that region for the Chargers.

They will hope whoever they get will make a decent # 2 Receiver. I would also look for the to draft a small speed receiver with one of our picks in the 4th round.

Disagree. Nix has been pretty straightforward/telegraphing up to this point, and his WR comments from his postseason wrapup presser definitely pointed much more towards a big leaper type to win jump balls rather than the small speedy type. It might also be relevant that while Nix was in San Diego, they very much favored the tall WR (VJax, Malcolm Floyd, etc.). I have no idea if the Bills will go after VJax (I hope they don't - Stevie should be the highest-paid WR on the team), but if they don't get a big FA WR, I expect them to go hard after someone like Stephen Hill or Alshon Jeffery in the draft.

LT- It appears the Bills will let Bell test the market. That being said I don't think he will be back. Look for them to spend the #10 pick on a tackle. They seem to view Hairston as a great depth swing tackle rather than a starter.

I tend to agree, although it wouldn't shock me to see Bell draw little interest and re-sign with the Bills for a 1 or 2 year deal. Wouldn't necessarily stop the Bills from going OT at #10 anyway.

DE- This will be addressed in the second round of the draft with a guy like Vin Curry or Cam Johnson. Branch will be gone. Buddy made it clear he thinks there will still be quality at DE by round 2.

Buddy's recent DE comments were very interesting. He seemed to be trying to set up the idea that he wouldn't draft a DE until the middle rounds. (Reminds me of when Nix specifically ID'd O-line as the #1 offseason priority, then signed no notable FAs and drafted 1 OT in the middle rounds.) On the other hand, he did say that he was probably second-guessing the top guys too much. I think his mind hadn't been made up at that point.

OLB- Our one big free agent will be Kamerion Wimbley. He will be released. It is thought the Chargers and Bills will have the most interest in him. The Chargers are not in the position to offer him what the Bills can and will. Wimbley strikes me as a guy that $ is the sole factor as to where he will play. I think Dave Wannstedt will use him as a 2 down LB and a 3rd down DE.

Interesting; haven't really seen this posited before. Personally, I doubt Morrison would be brought back if they didn't expect him to be a starter. I know he's not making much, but the Bills don't usually pay 7 figure salaries to backups.

CB- I believe we will address this in the 3rd round of the draft and possibly a low teir free agent.

I concur - we'll see a CB drafted between rounds 3-5 or so, depending on who's available.

Not that I believe the bills will land Mario Williams, but if it is true what your saying about it not being about the money for him, that would make it a MUCH better chance of being able to land him in Buffalo because he will be looking for a place that he can play in a scheme he is most comfortable in. He is better in the 4-3 then the 3-4 that Houston switched to IIRC, and Buffalo could have the money to give him a decent offer plus give him the chance to play where he wants to play. The only thing holding him back would be if he wants to come to Buffalo to live and play and if he wants to play for a contending team right now

And what is the 'history" of Buddy Nix saying the Bills will be aggressive in free agency "[this year unlike other years]"?

Nix (and Chris Brown has reiterated) has come out publicly and said that this season will be atypical for the Bills approach to FA.

Edited by BobChalmers

So there you have it, what I beleive will be are two biggest free agent signings and our first four draft positions. Not all that exciting, but realistic knowing how Buddy and co. run things. With these moves Buddy will be able to focus on extending his own guys like Levitre and Bryd when the time comes, which he has made clear is his #1 priority. Flame away.

Say no to Doucet....He drops a ton of balls....Trust me, I saw it first hand!!!

Everything is pure speculation until the chips start falling Tuesday.

I've not read that Tampa Bay is interested in VJ, however I have read that Washington and Chicago are willing to give up the farm to get him. Both VJ and Marque Colston will strike it rich in free agency and command more money then they are worth. I realize that VJ would perfectly fit exactly what Nix likes in WR's, but Colston has done better. ya gotta remember that the Bills don't have the team talent around them like Drew Brees or Phillip Rivers does. Would they be as successful in Buffalo?

Yeah I agree with the #1 pick going to be a LT as there should be 3 worthy in the top 10 vs short armed DE's in the top ten that Buddy is on record stating he doesn't like. But that could be a smoke screen as I think he will target DE Melvin Ingram, and if he is gone then perhaps a LT. Quinton Coples should fit the perfect mold for Buddy Nix in what he is looking for in a DE, but with motivation issues I doubt the Bills select him.

LT-pass rush- WR, I'm hoping Nix gets them done

PS In regards to Mario Williams, they guy is good no question. But for the money he will command is he as good as Reggie White or Julius Peppers? I don't see it.

But then with a healthy Kyle Williams and MD in the interior, along with Cris Kelsay at DE any top DE on the other side that will require a double team to slow him should open it up for the other guys, they can't double team 3 players every down.

Edited by Fear the Beard

Mario Williams is simply not coming to Buffalo. He has stated that it is more about a right fit for him and not the money. He said something along the lines of how he is already rich from his rookie contract.

Other issues aside, whenever this statement is uttered, it is always about the money. If it 'really' is not about money then they don't say anything.

Wow, I'm surprised by how little I agree with you, since your points are all well thought out.

1- I don't think we go OL in the 1st.

2- I do think we lose Bell

3- I agree we will not get Jackson or Williams

4- Wimbley would be a full time DE, not OLB

5- If we don't sign a good on in FA, we draft WR in the 1st.

I think our big target is Kamerion Wimbley, hopefully he's not set on staying in California (even if it is in SoCal).

I would love Eddie Royal, Laurent Robinson, Pierre Garcon, Rob Meachem...I'm not high on Vincent Jackson.

I too think we go OT in Rd 1. Look for passrushers in Rd 2 and/or Rd 3. I wouldn't be surprised if Nix waits until Rd 3 given how he has talked about this year's depth at DE.

Regarding LT, the Bills will NOT reach for Martin at #10 - look for them to go after Gaither in free agency. I agree Bell may get little outside interest and could end up here in a back-up role.

(Our o-line starters were dropping like flies last year, beginning early on and continuing throughout the season - it's crucial for the Bills to add significant depth at every o-line position in order to protect Fitz, buy him time to find the open man, and open holes for the running game, IMO.)

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

Regarding LT, the Bills will NOT reach for Martin at #10 - look for them to go after Gaither in free agency. I agree Bell may get little outside interest and could end up here in a back-up role.

(Our o-line starters were dropping like flies last year, beginning early on and continuing throughout the season - it's crucial for the Bills to add significant depth at every o-line position in order to protect Fitz, buy him time to find the open man, and open holes for the running game, IMO.)

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

You could be right but I have my doubts they will go after a injurey prone LT after not resigning their own for the same reason.

This means we will sign him and with our move back to 43 he would like to play here especially under Wanny.