Chandler re-signed

Erik

I wish they could have signed him for 3 years instead of 2. The deals for Rob Gronkowski next year will push the value of the TE position.

Chandler has repeatedly shown that he can get separation in the end zone and is a big target for Fitz. If he can improve his play in the middle of the field, he will be a big security blanket. He is a poor mans Antonio Gates. Now to build some depth on that OL with some 2nd tier FAs...and then go Defense all the way in the draft.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have a link showing the 35m?

Here's one that kind of breaks it down. The actual salary cap hasn't been released yet, but it's expected to be no lower than $120m from stuff I've seen. The Bills are at about $104m committed which leaves about $16m in cap space. Add the $19m in carryover and that's how the $35m in cap space arrived at. Other estimates had the cap slightly higher and the corresponding carryover slightly higher, but it still comes out to about $35m.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/28/2012-top-51-cap-numbers-as-of-february-2

The other two show slightly different amounts but nothing too drastic but they are drawn from good sources that you can check as well. I like how McGee's restructure was considered, too.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/2/23/2818964/buffalo-bills-salary-cap

http://nyjetscap.com/Bills/bills2012.php

GO BILLS!!!

You're right, the $35M figure is the amortized one thrown about. I was using it to show how fast money dries up under the cash to cap system. This guy has our current 2012 cash spending at about $83M (last updated Feb 29 - before Stevie signed). If we use $120M as the approximate limit, figure $37M under.

Of course, I haven't checked his numbers, but he does seem quite thorough.

It doesn't matter if the cap number reflects amortized bonuses or not. It's $35m.

What matters, as you've pointed out on several occasions in a couple threads, is whether or not the Bills amortize bonuses, and they don't as they prefer an actual cash accounting method.

I am relieved to see that Fitz's roster bonus, which is due on 3/13 I believe, has already been factored in among the 51 players under contract for 2012.

Anyway, we need to subtract whatever actual cash commitments to SJ and Chandler for 2012 from that $35m to get a better idea of what kind of room the Bills have under their cash to cap method. Like you said, it's far less than the $35m.

GO BILLS!!!

This is great news. After Nix's words I thought Chandler would at least try to see his value up in FA.

To those that say keeping the status-quo is not improving you are seeing things in a vacuum.

Stevie and Chandler are entering their prime. Experience and development can't be overlooked. Replace those guys with rookies and in certain situations they would hesitate to react, you will have to wait for them until they learn. You bring a veteran on his last legs, he will be able to see the play but will be late to the hole, a step late to stop the ballcarrier. (A. Davis)

That was the MO during this failed decade. Replace the guys you developed for green rookies or past their prime veterans.

It doesn't matter if the cap number reflects amortized bonuses or not. It's $35m.

No, the two figures are completely different. The News calculates our free amount under the NFL amortized cap at $21M, and our cash to cap space at $33M (both minus Chandler). They also use a projected cash to cap ceiling of $132M and say the Bills should reserve about $15M for signing draft picks. I think the draft pick allotment is way too high, but that leaves about $17M to play with.

I wish they could have signed him for 3 years instead of 2. The deals for Rob Gronkowski next year will push the value of the TE position.

Chandler has repeatedly shown that he can get separation in the end zone and is a big target for Fitz. If he can improve his play in the middle of the field, he will be a big security blanket. He is a poor mans Antonio Gates. Now to build some depth on that OL with some 2nd tier FAs...and then go Defense all the way in the draft.

a poor mans gates? try a homeless mans gates. hes a serviceable player and i like him but come one guys.

the reason its two is likely they took less money to get on the market after the gronk, hernandez, and graham resignings, but even moreso because i believe that is when the new TV deals hit and you could be looking at a huge spike in the cap really quickly at that point. coupled with a (hopefully) few good seasons of film under his belt - he could leverage that for more than he would get long term today. in exchange for that freedom, he likely sacrificed a few bones on this deal (hence his agent isnt screaming the dollars to anyone that will listen)

Locker room morale should be pretty solid heading into training camp. Taking care of your own is HUGE.

For sure. Play well and get rewarded. Any word on Bell? (not that I would mind him going if we draft an OT. Bell is good, but if he wants too much $ I'd rather draft a guy. He is just too injury prone, which sucks).

No, the two figures are completely different. The News calculates our free amount under the NFL amortized cap at $21M, and our cash to cap space at $33M (both minus Chandler). They also use a projected cash to cap ceiling of $132M and say the Bills should reserve about $15M for signing draft picks. I think the draft pick allotment is way too high, but that leaves about $17M to play with.

Going by last years rookie salaries, i acyually think thats a very accurate assumption. They paid more actual cash last year to their draft picks than $15million (but this year they are picking 10th instead of 3rd)

Scott Chandler ‏ @scottchandler84

Reunited and it feels so good!!! Blessed to be back with the Bills! Nowhere else I want to be! Thankyou Lord for this opportunity!

Scott Chandler ‏ @scottchandler84

Thankyou to the Bills front office and fans for all your support!! Let's get this thing rolling! #BillsMafia

Im dying for some terms of contract. I wonder how long before they are disclosed.

$5.45 million with $1.25 million guaranteed according to http://www.rotoworld.../scott-chandler

For those that are not "link clickers" the length of the contract is 2 years.

That's less than I thought he'd be getting . Another good job by the FO.

Very club-friendly as is the Stevie contract.

Great job by the Bills.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan