Now Greg Williams is a cheater?

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During the NFC championship I had a hunch they were purposely trying to injure Brett Farve.

Greggo boy, you better hope there wasn't any players that have had evolving symptoms from an injury dished out by a Saints player in your tenure. You will be getting sued boy.

It's not just cheating, it's criminal. They should prosecute the sum' B word - - and while criminal prosecution probably isn't likely, existing Louisiana criminal statutes provide a basis for bringing charges if opponents were deliberately injured:

http://www.nfhs.org/CoachingTodayFeature.aspx?id=6047

The NFL talks a lot about player safety - - if they mean it they should ban the guy from coaching.

Pisses me off.

"Money on the Board" will never stop.

in a funny twist:

Goodell is yet to hand out discipline for the Saints, who could face fines, suspensions and forfeiture of draft choices, "in light of the competitive nature of the violation," according to the league's statement. The Patriots own New Orleans' first-round pick in the upcoming draft.

Edited by papazoid

I feel it's a criminal act as well. You're played to play a game, not willfully injure people.

The Saints are going to pay dearly for this. The NFL will make an example.

It explains why the Greggo left New Orleans. That's a man filled with integrity isn't it?

no big deal, imo. you want your Defense to want to knock out the opposing QB. it's a violent sport, not the ballet. as long as it was clean, and i have never seen the Saints play dirty, then it's whatever.

i get that it's against the rules. and i get why the NFL has to have a rule against it. but i would bet this happens on almost every team in some form.

no big deal, imo. you want your Defense to want to knock out the opposing QB. it's a violent sport, not the ballet. as long as it was clean, and i have never seen the Saints play dirty, then it's whatever.

i get that it's against the rules. and i get why the NFL has to have a rule against it. but i would bet this happens on almost every team in some form.

No big deal? Do you think there is anything ambiguous about the terms "knockout" and "cart off?" They were DELIBERATELY coached and, even more disgustingly, PAID to willfully injure an opposing player. And you have no problem with that? It shows an utter lack of respect for the game in general and fellow players (HUMAN BEINGS) in particular. I amazed anyone could be ok with this.

GO BILLS!!!

So... I think this is really bad. But, it may be "common practice". That's not good. If it is "common practice" then the NFL needs to take actions to prevent it from being "common practice".

Here's how I would handle it if I was Goodell:

1) First rule, anyone who lied to league investigators gets a much larger penalty than those who did not cover it up. So, players who participated but never lied to the league office get nothing more than a slap on the wrist. They can use the "everybody does it" and/or "peer pressure" excuse. Players who lied to league office: 1 game suspension. Can't ever condone failure to cooperate with an investigation.

2) Coaches who participated get punished, regardless, by fine. If coach also lied about it - suspension. Personally I think G. Williams should be suspended for 1 year or more, if he ran the program and lied about it as well. If he just ran the program, I might let him off with a big fine. $100K?

3) Head coach and GM: Fines.

4) Team: Give the owner a chance to impose internal discipline. If no discipline... hit them with a loss of 4th round pick.

Most likely they will let it slide though.

When I played DT in High School I wanted to hurt the QB for free....

No money even required. :pirate:

If it takes money to motivate you to play harder to win you have lost already.

But I'm not surprised by what Greggo did.

Edited by Bufcomments

This is why I said "no big deal". Everyone who is going nuts about this sounds like they have never played the game before. Because if they had, they'd know that football is a physical game played on a lot of emotion, and you already have this mindset for those 60 minutes you are on the field.

Now, Im not advocating leading with the crown, or twisting a player's leg. But the team that physically dominates and imposes it's will, wins. The point is to win. Therefore, I want my team in a mindset to destroy the other guys.

If this was really a big deal, there would be players from other teams speaking out about how dirty the Saints are. But outside of that beating they (rightfully) put on Favre, I havent seen them accused of cheap-shotting guys.

I played the same position. Hurting someone never entered my thoughts. Knocking down and humiliating them, sure. But I never consciously thought about hurting them.

Some interesting comments from NO writer Jeff Duncan on twitter...

http://twitter.com/#!/jeffduncantp

-------------------------------------------------------------

I played the same position. Hurting someone never entered my thoughts. Knocking down and humiliating them, sure. But I never consciously thought about hurting them.

There's a difference between "hurt" and "injured" that I believe is being blurred here. I honestly dont believe that any Saints player wanted to seriously injure a fellow player. However, you can hurt them so they cant perform as well. And you can do so, while playing completely within the rules.

It's the attitude that good defenses have.