You guys have it all wrong

I've always been a fan who's predisposed to drafting big players early.

However if Claiborne is as good as most people are saying he is, then he might be the best player available (even by a wide margin) when the #10 pick comes up.

If that is the case, I would accept his selection and hope that he was the next Asomugha/Revis.

I kinda hope he gets drafted before us though.

I kind of agree about your rule of thumb on getting bigger guys first, but we are not selecting as early as last year. The top big guys will all ready be gone and the second tier big guys will be there in the second round. I am thinking a top tier CB or WR will fall to us in the first. Maybe not. We might get lucky on another front. Just trying to emphasize that the pick could be a position no one is talking about because of his stock value when our number is called. Everyone wants a pass rusher or a dominant tackle but if the top tier ones are off the board, you get the best player available even if he isn't one of the big nasties we all want.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always been a fan who's predisposed to drafting big players early.

However if Claiborne is as good as most people are saying he is, then he might be the best player available (even by a wide margin) when the #10 pick comes up.

If that is the case, I would accept his selection and hope that he was the next Asomugha/Revis.

I kinda hope he gets drafted before us though.

Trust your instnicts. Draft big fast before small fast.

Not to point out the obvious or anything, but you know what the Patriots do when you march out a shutdown corner?

They throw it to one of the other 4 receivers.

Who are all open against Buffalo because there is no pass rush.

With QB's blessed with more time and less threat of impact........and receivers being granted a free run of the entire field now......the 5 and 7 step drop is back in business so receivers are going to get open.

If you want to impact the modern passing game, you need to rush the passer.

People can try to justify it with the best player available argument, but not all positions impact a franchise equally so whether or not they are the "best player" is not really the point behind the philosophy.

The first round is about getting as much every down impact at critical positions which are otherwise difficult to fill and getting it for a LONG time.

A shutdown CB is a luxury item. There are many reasons which I could go much further into, but for instance:

What happens after 4-5 seasons when he becomes a free agent? He walks. Because at that moment, it becomes crystal clear that you don't want to pay a guy $15M per year who plays on the perimeter and can be taken completely out of the action by one offensive player.

Be honest with yourselves, that is what will happen.

Common sense goes out the door at draft time when contracts are slotted, but your first round pick should be a player that you will be willing to pay open market value to come free agency.

If not, you are just on the rb/cb treadmill again. And that's just the way it is. If he performs well, they will let him walk over dollars. If he underperforms, they will let him walk because they think they can do better.

Now a top QB, OT or pass rusher.........those guys don't hit free agency unless they are old or damaged goods.

I kind of agree about your rule of thumb on getting bigger guys first, but we are not selecting as early as last year. The top big guys will all ready be gone and the second tier big guys will be there in the second round.

The top 10 picks in this draft will not be the top 10 players in this draft. It is the job of the Bills personnel department to find a player at pick number 10 who will justify the selection and provide long term, every down impact. He doesn't have to be Mike Mayock's highest rated player at a position. Treat the draft as an ongoing process of roster replenishment instead of an isolated event. Then maybe you don't end up using 50% of your first round picks on 23% of your offensive and defensive positions over a 40 year period......those positions being RB and DB.

If he's there at 10 I absolutely expect the Bills to select him. If they pass on him, it'll be a mistake. CB isn't the biggest need, but he's a super talented kid that has the ability to be one of the leagues best CBs. I doubt he'll be there at 10. Shame on Buddy if we pass on him if he falls

He would clearly be the BPA if he lasted until 10 but it looks like there's no way he makes it past TB at 5. They're in dire need of a CB and they just signed his old DB coach from LSU. To say the stars are aligned would be an understatement!!

Alright, first thing's first. Well Claiborne is an amazing player, an AMAZING player...Do we really need a CB right now? We already have 2 solid corners and we shouldn't be making any moves that aren;t necessary.

2 ? You lost me there. Aaron Williams and.................... ????

The top 10 picks in this draft will not be the top 10 players in this draft. It is the job of the Bills personnel department to find a player at pick number 10 who will justify the selection and provide long term, every down impact. He doesn't have to be Mike Mayock's highest rated player at a position. Treat the draft as an ongoing process of roster replenishment instead of an isolated event. Then maybe you don't end up using 50% of your first round picks on 23% of your offensive and defensive positions over a 40 year period......those positions being RB and DB.

Quick. Get this important strategic message over to headquarters NOW !!!

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU. And like Buddy said, the draft is deep at DE. We will get a quality pass rusher in the second round. In the third round, that is where they finally get a tackle.

OK, maybe not, but we will not be reaching for a tackle in round one. This team went 1-1 with one of the Superbowl teams last year and nearly beat the other. The Bills will not be reaching for any player in the draft. They'll just continue to build by getting value at every pick. Once we finally kill the injury bug....look out. We might get a top rated WR if one falls in our laps. It's all about value.

There is no such thing as a "quality pass rusher" being still available in the second round. The ability to consistently get to the qb is a very rare talent, second only to that of a quality qb. Any player with that rare skill will be taken in round one, anything else is a complete crapshoot. Not that it can't happen (Brady a 6 round pick), but you cannot expect a quality pas rusher to fall into round 2.

With 10 pick, you have to go with best plater available.

I generally agree with getting big nasties in the early rounds but there are exceptions, Franchise QBs being one and defensive players that generate turnovers being another- an interception is worth 3 sacks an interception returned for a TD is worth 5 sacks.

How about we pick up Mario Williams and then draft another big DE like Coples. Our front 4 would be Coples, Darius, Williams & Williams. That would give us a forceful run stopping line that would cause problems for every O-line out there.

There is no such thing as a "quality pass rusher" being still available in the second round. The ability to consistently get to the qb is a very rare talent, second only to that of a quality qb. Any player with that rare skill will be taken in round one, anything else is a complete crapshoot. Not that it can't happen (Brady a 6 round pick), but you cannot expect a quality pas rusher to fall into round 2.

With 10 pick, you have to go with best plater available.

There have been plenty of quality pass rushers available in round 2 and beyond.. Even all time great sack artists have been selected after the 1st round. I don't believe that position is more of a crapshoot than any other.

If he's there at 10 I absolutely expect the Bills to select him. If they pass on him, it'll be a mistake. CB isn't the biggest need, but he's a super talented kid that has the ability to be one of the leagues best CBs. I doubt he'll be there at 10. Shame on Buddy if we pass on him if he falls

Exactly. I'd take him in a nanosecond, if he were there and, hopefully, the Bills would, too. That being said, he'll be gone before the Bills get a shot at him.

He would clearly be the BPA if he lasted until 10 but it looks like there's no way he makes it past TB at 5. They're in dire need of a CB and they just signed his old DB coach from LSU. To say the stars are aligned would be an understatement!!

I agree. With Talib likely gone (and possibly in prison) and Ronde old Claiborne should be Tampa's pick. They could also go with Richardson or maybe Blackmon if he's still there.

In the very unlikely event he's available at 10, i'd have no problem with Buff taking Claiborne.

2 ? You lost me there. Aaron Williams and.................... ????

Quick. Get this important strategic message over to headquarters NOW !!!

+1 on this hahaha.

justin rogers looks real good and if you add 1/3 mcgee with 1/3 florence and 1/6 mcdummy thats nearly one complete corner.

Heres my contribution.... "I think the bills should take _____________ because its important that we hit on our first draft pick. If __________ slides to #10 we have to take him! And we should definitely trade up if __________ is still there at #______because theres no way ___________ will still be there by 10. If not we should trade back and pick up another 2nd.

Am I the first person to ever post something like this?

Edited by loserlovers

I generally agree with getting big nasties in the early rounds but there are exceptions, Franchise QBs being one and defensive players that generate turnovers being another- an interception is worth 3 sacks an interception returned for a TD is worth 5 sacks.

Drayton Florence catches errant passes and takes them to the house just fine.

Create errant passes.

A pass rusher can be a factor in pass defense no matter where the ball is thrown to.

In my opinion, good depth at cornerback is worth more than high quality at one or two corner spots in today's NFL.

It used to be that very few teams dared to put 5 receivers into formation for fear that defenses would hit and very possibly injure their QB.

Back then, a shutdown CB took out a third of the passing game.

The impact of one shutdown cb has diminished.

Back then, it was HARD to get open quickly which magnified the differences between great QB's, receivers and corners versus simply good ones.

Nowadays, Ryan Fitapatrick puts up Jim Kelly-like production and Stevie Johnson outperforms Andre Reed.

Does anyone else see this? I mean, the subjects in the passing game are like the sluggers in the steroid era. Except THIS is legal and sustainable.

If anything, as the NFL becomes less physical, it should become easier to get open.

So why is it necessary to draft a guy to take out one other guy. What's the difference between 11 on 11 and 10 on 10 if you are a defense? It makes little sense to me.

How about we pick up Mario Williams and then draft another big DE like Coples. Our front 4 would be Coples, Darius, Williams & Williams. That would give us a forceful run stopping line that would cause problems for every O-line out there.

Like getting Williams, but the point of this thread is that neither Coples or anyone else at DE is a good enough bet to justify a #10 pick.

If they go pass rusher in round one, they should trade down first to do it.

Like getting Williams, but the point of this thread is that neither Coples or anyone else at DE is a good enough bet to justify a #10 pick.

If they go pass rusher in round one, they should trade down first to do it.

I would be VERY cool with trading down 7 or fewer spots and drafting Dont'a Hightower. Mark my words, he is going to be a great player.

Agreed that putting pressure on the opposing QB is top priority. On the other hand, it would make sense to provide your QB with as much protection as possible. Last year, Andy Levitre played not only guard, but also center and left tackle. We want to avoid that again in 2012. Why not take a 1st round talent at tackle. Two, maybe three will be taken in the top 9, but the "experts" rate 4 in the 1st round, if not in the top 15. (i.e. Adams from Ohio State). Give Fitz 4 or 5 seconds to look around and Freddy and CJ bigger holes throughout the season.

Edited by Cap'n Crunch