Mike silver on polian in indy

dave mcbride

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-silver_jim_irsay_peyton_manning_colts_andrew_luck022512

Imteresting. Silver is a pretty solid and ineresting reporter, but he seems to have more of an agenda than most. I think Irsay is a dolt, but thisarticle does seem to match up with many over the years that portray Polian as an insufferable and domineering Napoleon type.

My own two cents--nepotism is a bad thing, and Polian's promotion of his son as heir apparent was bound to fail. That's hubris on Polian's part.

Edited by dave mcbride

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"On that early January afternoon when the Polians were fired, numerous employees at the team’s training facility passed one another in the halls with huge grins on their faces and literally whistled “The Wizard Of Oz” standard “Ding-Dong! The Witch Is Dead.” Other than that, they didn’t really have an opinion about the moves."

That was pretty funny.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-silver_jim_irsay_peyton_manning_colts_andrew_luck022512

Imteresting. Silver is a pretty solid and ineresting reporter, but he seems to have more of an agenda than most. I think Irsay is a dolt, but thisarticle does seem to match up with many over the years that portray Polian as an insufferable and domineering Napoleon type.

My own two cents--nepotism is a bad thing, and Polian's promotion of his son as heir apparent was bound to fail. That's hubris on Polian's part.

you meant Napolian right ;)

"On that early January afternoon when the Polians were fired, numerous employees at the team’s training facility passed one another in the halls with huge grins on their faces and literally whistled “The Wizard Of Oz” standard “Ding-Dong! The Witch Is Dead.” Other than that, they didn’t really have an opinion about the moves."

That was pretty funny.

I'll take a Tryant if comes with winning, if those people just did what they were told to it wouldn't have been a problem. I've worked with some real A-hole boss's and as long as did my job and kept my mouth shut things went fine.

I'll take a Tryant if comes with winning, if those people just did what they were told to it wouldn't have been a problem. I've worked with some real A-hole boss's and as long as did my job and kept my mouth shut things went fine.

Yeah but how much of that winning was because of Manning, who was the first overall pick and the obvious choice?

Doesn't make it less funny lol

http://sports.yahoo....drew_luck022512

Agreed about the hubris… Polian seems to be pretty brazen.

Polian was not well-liked in Buffalo either and he was canned pretty quickly in Carolina as well.

On top of that, Bob Kravitz the senior NFL writer for the Indy Star and a very-respected NFL scribe has written many of the same things… that Polian was a jerk and ruled by fear and intimidation… FWIW.

Yeah but how much of that winning was because of Manning, who was the first overall pick and the obvious choice?

Was he? Leaf was considered to be first by many and lets not forget what he did here and Carolina. Also he built that team around Manning so that they had a fast small D that could attack with big leads, his only mistake was not having another Peyton as a back up, but who does.

Doesn't make it less funny lol

true :lol:

I sum Polian up like this:

Jim Kelly

Kerry Collins

Peyton Manning

Yes, he was an above average talent evaluator and at his best building a team from nothing into something. But his arrogance undermined him in Buffalo. He had the Bills on the cusp of being a dynasty but couldn't finish it. The weak links were obvious, but they also happened to be pet projects of his and he GREATLY resented being told that his nose tackle couldn't stand up to an eilite running game or that his free safety couldn't get to the sideline or play the run. Nowadays, talent like the Bills had could win a Super Bowl, but there were some special teams in the NFC in those years and everyone knew it. Good veterans could be had for cheap in trades(see Charles Haley).

Jim Kelly

Kerry Collins

Peyton Manning

Yes, he was an above average talent evaluator and at his best building a team from nothing into something. But his arrogance undermined him in Buffalo. He had the Bills on the cusp of being a dynasty but couldn't finish it. The weak links were obvious, but they also happened to be pet projects of his and he GREATLY resented being told that his nose tackle couldn't stand up to an eilite running game or that his free safety couldn't get to the sideline or play the run. Nowadays, talent like the Bills had could win a Super Bowl, but there were some special teams in the NFC in those years and everyone knew it. Good veterans could be had for cheap in trades(see Charles Haley).

Can you imagine the 90's Bills SB teams vs the past 7-8 NFC SB teams?

They would win 4-5 Super Bowls today, IMO

Just one example: The 90's Bills vs the Seahawks team that lost to the refs (Steelers)

I could see 51-10 in that one

Edited by TheFunPolice

Was he? Leaf was considered to be first by many and lets not forget what he did here and Carolina. Also he built that team around Manning so that they had a fast small D that could attack with big leads, his only mistake was not having another Peyton as a back up, but who does.

true :lol:

What he did in Carolina has been overplayed for years. When Jacksonville/Carolina came into the league the league gave them so many extra perks that it would of been hard to f*ck up either situation no matter who was running the teams. From the unprecedent drafting/poaching of other teams players to the unlimited salary cap they were granted the first few year or two I believe. It was not a coincidence that BOTH Jacksonville & Carolina both made their conference champions within 3 years of their existence.

Bottom line Polian is a jerk that does have an eye for talent & his son just sounds like just as big of jerk as his old man without the built in resume. Guys like Polian & his son wear their welcome out sooner or later no matter how successful they are.

Sure some people would have taken Leaf first overall. But the vast majority of people would have taken Manning. It's similar to this year. RGIII has greater potential than Luck, but the first overall will and should be Luck (I'm not implying RGIII will turn out like Leaf).

What he did in Carolina has been overplayed for years. When Jacksonville/Carolina came into the league the league gave them so many extra perks that it would of been hard to f*ck up either situation no matter who was running the teams. From the unprecedent drafting/poaching of other teams players to the unlimited salary cap they were granted the first few year or two I believe. It was not a coincidence that BOTH Jacksonville & Carolina both made their conference champions within 3 years of their existence.

Bottom line Polian is a jerk that does have an eye for talent & his son just sounds like just as big of jerk as his old man without the built in resume. Guys like Polian & his son wear their welcome out sooner or later no matter how successful they are.

Bingo about his time in Carolina. Polian bolted from there because he knew it wasn't going to last.

As for his time in Buffalo, he didn't draft Kelly, Bruce, Andre, or Reich. And after losing 3 SB's (eventually losing a 4th), he wasn't going to be around much longer anyway, especially after what he said about Ralph's daughter.

Sure some people would have taken Leaf first overall. But the vast majority of people would have taken Manning. It's similar to this year. RGIII has greater potential than Luck, but the first overall will and should be Luck (I'm not implying RGIII will turn out like Leaf).

Bingo about his time in Carolina. Polian bolted from there because he knew it wasn't going to last.

As for his time in Buffalo, he didn't draft Kelly, Bruce, Andre, or Reich. And after losing 3 SB's (eventually losing a 4th), he wasn't going to be around much longer anyway, especially after what he said about Ralph's daughter.

Polian lost those 4 SBs? I thought it was Kelly, Andre, etc--and Levy.

The Bills couldn't have stocked those teams much better. Didn't they have 18 Pro Bowlers or something like that?

Polian lost those 4 SBs? I thought it was Kelly, Andre, etc--and Levy.

The Bills couldn't have stocked those teams much better. Didn't they have 18 Pro Bowlers or something like that?

Obviously they could have, seeing as how they lost 4 SB's.

Jim Kelly

Kerry Collins

Peyton Manning

4 Super Bowl teams.

"On that early January afternoon when the Polians were fired, numerous employees at the team's training facility passed one another in the halls with huge grins on their faces and literally whistled "The Wizard Of Oz" standard "Ding-Dong! The Witch Is Dead." Other than that, they didn't really have an opinion about the moves."

That was pretty funny.

I will be doing a Snoopy Dance the day that Ralph is no longer involved with the Bills. :beer: