Another Kennedy thinks he's too important to follow directions

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RFK's son struggles with nurses at NY hospital

Regardless of whether Mr. Kennedy thought the nurses were in the wrong:

1) What the hell is the mindset of pushing and kicking at people while holding a newborn?

2) If an ER doctor (a family friend of the Kennedys) was accompanying him, why did this man not speak up during the altercation? You'd assume there's some semblance of hierarchy that RNs would defer to a doctor.

3) I don't know exactly what the nurses' contentions were ... perhaps an identification issue (there are people who swipe babies from maternity wards) or something. Security prevented him from leaving, so it would seem that he was breaking rules. Again, I don't know.

4) Whatever, there's no justification for kicking someone in the midsection (there is video of an altercation and a nurse falling to the floor). If you think they're wrong, you take the baby back to the room and sort it out quickly with hospital admin.

5) What the !@#$ is it about the Kennedys that they feel the rules don't apply to them and when someone gets in their way, they're within rights to shove and kick women who are trying to do their jobs?

I agree with almost all of this. Having worked in hospitals for ten years, I can tell you that there is no bigger issue than infant safety. Protocols for the movement of newborns in and around the hospital are VERY strict. That is typically made very clear to parents before, during, and after the birth of their baby.

As for RNs deferring to docs due to a hierarchy, HELL NO. Docs are not my bosses, they are my colleagues. If they are administrators then that may be a different situation, but generally speaking RNs are independently licensed just like docs are. In fact, it's often times the opposite. It's the RNs who have to keep the docs in line, particularly with things like gowning/gloving up when entering the rooms of pts with resistant bacteria, washing hands, signing off orders, and even the manner in which they treat staff.

When I was a supervisor, I had a situation where a doc was mistreating one of my nurses by mocking her accent. She was from Romania and a very sharp, experienced nurse. But the MD had been called in the evening and wasn't in the mood for the call, so he lashed out. It affected her the rest of the 12 hr shift and I was pretty pissed. I let the doc vent on the phone, wrote down multiple quotes, and then threw his asss under the bus to administration. The next day when I came on shift, I was told that the doc had come up to the floor and sincerely apologized for his actions.

So heck no docs aren't my superiors. I base my care on what is appropriate for the patient(s)...a professional RN doesn't just follows docs orders "because". If youre worth your credentials, you are an independent thinker and keep things in proper context. Nothing is more embarrassing to me than some old school nurse who bows down to docs and treats them as if they crap golden rainbows. People who think the same way I do are a big reason why the RN profession has become as independent as it has, and why we have been given more responsibility than ever before in terms of patient care. It's also partly why we earn significantly more than we did twenty years ago, IMO.

I respect the fact that this idiot wanted to "go for a walk" with his son, but if you don't follow the rules in the hospital then you will be asked to gtfo. There's way too many liability issues nowadays to tolerate cavalier behavior.

:unsure: By the way, where the hell am I?

Edited by ajzepp

I agree with almost all of this. Having worked in hospitals for ten years, I can tell you that there is no bigger issue than infant safety. Protocols for the movement of newborns in and around the hospital are VERY strict. That is typically made very clear to parents before, during, and after the birth of their baby.

As for RNs deferring to docs due to a hierarchy, HELL NO. Docs are not my bosses, they are my colleagues. If they are administrators then that may be a different situation, but generally speaking RNs are independently licensed just like docs are. In fact, it's often times the opposite. It's the RNs who have to keep the docs in line, particularly with things like gowning/gloving up when entering the rooms of pts with resistant bacteria, washing hands, signing off orders, and even the manner in which they treat staff.

When I was a supervisor, I had a situation where a doc was mistreating one of my nurses by mocking her accent. She was from Romania and a very sharp, experienced nurse. But the MD had been called in the evening and wasn't in the mood for the call, so he lashed out. It affected her the rest of the 12 hr shift and I was pretty pissed. I let the doc vent on the phone, wrote down multiple quotes, and then threw his asss under the bus to administration. The next day when I came on shift, I was told that the doc had come up to the floor and sincerely apologized for his actions.

So heck no docs aren't my superiors. I base my care on what is appropriate for the patient(s)...a professional RN doesn't just follows docs orders "because". If youre worth your credentials, you are an independent thinker and keep things in proper context. Nothing is more embarrassing to me than some old school nurse who bows down to docs and treats them as if they crap golden rainbows. People who think the same way I do are a big reason why the RN profession has become as independent as it has, and why we have been given more responsibility than ever before in terms of patient care. It's also partly why we earn significantly more than we did twenty years ago, IMO.

I respect the fact that this idiot wanted to "go for a walk" with his son, but if you don't follow the rules in the hospital then you will be asked to gtfo. There's way too many liability issues nowadays to tolerate cavalier behavior.

:unsure: By the way, where the hell am I?

Oooo... going back and re-reading that sentence, it's not quite as I imagined what I was saying (that the ER doctor might have been expected to be a voice of reason b/w the two sides; instead it seems like he just stood there and now is speaking against his own hospital's rules :o How long does he stay employed there?), but even then it still had a lot to learn from your explanation. Thanks for your input, aj.

It just makes Mr. Kennedy's actions even less defensible.

You're in PPP. Now, like that opening scene in "Raiders of the Lost Ark"... step back carefully on the same footprints you came in on. ;)

Fair enough, the question was asked because you come across as a partisan hack.

While you are known as a partisan hack.

You are the one that made this partisan. We were discussing the actions of a person and then you brought politics into it. Read things over and you will see that you were an asshat.

[/b]

You are the one that made this partisan. We were discussing the actions of a person and then you brought politics into it. Read things over and you will see that you were an asshat.

The OP always makes it about politics. You are a partisan hack no matter what thread you post in, so I assume anything you say is biased. It is what it is...

Edit - Oh and while you like to pick on people for typos, you struggle with the editor mightily.

Edited by Booster4324

The OP always makes it about politics. You are a partisan hack no matter what thread you post in, so I assume anything you say is biased. It is what it is...

Edit - Oh and while you like to pick on people for typos, you struggle with the editor mightily.

Ah, Booster on his high horse again and making proclamations. The OP wasn't in the least bit partisan. You are such a little biitch that you see partisanship in everything. You proclaim me a partisan hack no matter what thread I post in so you assume anything I say is biased. Do you realize how faulty that statement is? You are sadly confused and mentally weak. I don't pick on people for typos. Typos are knowing the right spelling and hitting the wrong key. I bust people's balls sometimes for being lazy and sloppy. It's an indication that their thought process is most likely lazy and faulty too.

Ah, Booster on his high horse again and making proclamations. The OP wasn't in the least bit partisan. You are such a little biitch that you see partisanship in everything. You proclaim me a partisan hack no matter what thread I post in so you assume anything I say is biased. Do you realize how faulty that statement is? You are sadly confused and mentally weak. I don't pick on people for typos. Typos are knowing the right spelling and hitting the wrong key. I bust people's balls sometimes for being lazy and sloppy. It's an indication that their thought process is most likely lazy and faulty too.

It shouldn't be an issue. He is the father and is entitled to take the child. End of story, or should be.

This is wrong.

I was the supervisor for a hospital for over ten years, and parents are not allowed to take the baby out of the nursery except under supervision.

For one thing, in today's world, the "father' is not necessarily even in the picture. By the time of the birth there may be a different "significant other" involved.....................you can't just assume everything is husband and wife.

Kennedy was wrong.

He should have obeyed the nurses. That is the conservative way after all. Obey anyone that tells you what to do, and everything will be fine.

Not defending the dolt Kennedy's choice to kick the nurses BUT... What is the chain of command here? Doesn't a doctor override the nurse's authority? Shouldn't the nurses be subordinate to the doctor? Afterall, the doctor is siding with Douglas Kennedy in this debate.

This is wrong.

I was the supervisor for a hospital for over ten years, and parents are not allowed to take the baby out of the nursery except under supervision.

For one thing, in today's world, the "father' is not necessarily even in the picture. By the time of the birth there may be a different "significant other" involved.....................you can't just assume everything is husband and wife.

Kennedy was wrong.

The Kennedy was wrong for letting it turn into a physical altercation... Or did the nurse lunge first and it was justified? Again, there was a doctor present and gave the father authority (or at least from what I read) to do what he was doing.

It seems the nurses were being insubordinate to the doctor. Again, the doctor is siding with Kennedy in this matter. To quote Marv: "Over officious jerks." There is a chain of command, and they should know their place. Now, were the nurse questioning the doc's creds? I don't know???

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Not defending the dolt Kennedy's choice to kick the nurses BUT... What is the chain of command here? Doesn't a doctor override the nurse's authority? Shouldn't the nurses be subordinate to the doctor? Afterall, the doctor is siding with Douglas Kennedy in this debate.

The chain of command in this case is what Kennedy should be beaten with for thinking he somehow had the right to take a baby out of the nursery.

The Kennedy was wrong for letting it turn into a physical altercation... Or did the nurse lunge first and it was justified? Again, there was a doctor present and gave the father authority (or at least from what I read) to do what he was doing.

It seems the nurses were being insubordinate to the doctor. Again, the doctor is siding with Kennedy in this matter. To quote Marv: "Over officious jerks." There is a chain of command, and they should know their place. Now, were the nurse questioning the doc's creds? I don't know???

The doctor was from the ER and a family friend to Kennedy. Hospital rules should be the same for everyone including the Kennedys.