Have I Mentioned Recently How Much I Hate Bicyclists?

Chef Jim

I'd really like to find out who has the right of way in this instance. I'm not concerned about turning right on red where the bike must stop. I turn right into my garage and in order to do that I cross over a bike lane. Now I put my turn signal on in plenty of time to let them know but do I yield to them or do they yield to them. I would think I would yield to them but hard to tell. And Pete's share the road really pisses me off. Sharing the road to most bikers is a one way street so to speak.

Found this - hope it answers your very good question. Linky

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome , I did not know this rule. I have been making a lot of bad right hand turns. I will now proudly be in the bike lane when turning right.

Once again it makes sense but be prepared to have many bikers flying by you and flipping you off for being in "their" lane and not sharing the road.

Once again it makes sense but be prepared to have many bikers flying by you and flipping you off for being in "their" lane and not sharing the road.

I hear you. Might be worth asking the traffic department. Sorry I don't have a better answer. And don't hate all of us cyclists.

That's a good way to get your car beaten on by a militant bicyclist.

You know I think I'm going to follow this rule. When I need to turn right I will turn on my blinker, merge into the bike lane with plenty of space between me and the bike and turn right. If they have to slow down to accomodate my right turn and give me ****......oh it's on baby, it's on. Heading home to the city now. I'll report back later. :devil:

You know I think I'm going to follow this rule. When I need to turn right I will turn on my blinker, merge into the bike lane with plenty of space between me and the bike and turn right. If they have to slow down to accomodate my right turn and give me ****......oh it's on baby, it's on. Heading home to the city now. I'll report back later. :devil:

I'll start doing it too, bring on the hate.

So, did you turn right at every intersection you had to get home?

EDIT: monitor the blotters....you know, just in case we have to raise bail for assualt on a Schwin. It is a very serious crime in SF, to my understanding.

Edited by jboyst62

So, did you turn right at every intersection you had to get home?

EDIT: monitor the blotters....you know, just in case we have to raise bail for assualt on a Schwin. It is a very serious crime in SF, to my understanding.

Yes I did turn right at every intersection. I didn't run over any bikers but it took me 4.5 hours to get home. censored.gif

Yes I did turn right at every intersection. I didn't run over any bikers but it took me 4.5 hours to get home. censored.gif

Well, as your trip regresses to the mean, eventually it will only take you 3.5 hours to get home. :thumbsup:

As a long-time motorcyclist I can attest to the truth of this.

The speed/size ratio of motorcycles is something that most car drivers' brains simply cannot process fast enough to react appropriately. My MC philosophy, which has enabled me to survive 25+ years of motorcycling in California, mostly in L.A., goes well beyond this however. I don't merely assume car drivers don't see me. I drive as if they do see me... and are actively trying to kill me. The second some cager asswipe starts doing anything goofy, I don't stick around to see what kind of festive cluster-!@#$ is going to ensue. I just go immediately to warp drive and put at least a couple of miles between us. (But I also do try my best to minimize lane-splitting, lane-sharing, and other behaviors that enhance the likelihood of a bad situation.)

I just got my first bike today & this has been running through my head all day. Good advice.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a new twist on this thread. I was parked on a busy street the other day. Bicyclist is whizzing down the road just inches off the edge of the parked cars. I almost opened my door and the cyclist would have either hit my opened door or veered out into traffic and maybe hit there. Who is at fault?

I have a new twist on this thread. I was parked on a busy street the other day. Bicyclist is whizzing down the road just inches off the edge of the parked cars. I almost opened my door and the cyclist would have either hit my opened door or veered out into traffic and maybe hit there. Who is at fault?

You for not opening your door so one of those things would happen. :rolleyes:

You for not opening your door so one of those things would happen. :rolleyes:

I always look in my side mirror before opening the door just in case. But what if someone opens the door not expecting the cyclist to be right there and boom! I'm thinking the cyclist is at fault but I wonder what the law says?

I always look in my side mirror before opening the door just in case. But what if someone opens the door not expecting the cyclist to be right there and boom! I'm thinking the cyclist is at fault but I wonder what the law says?

My internet education says you would be for not checking your mirror before opening your door. Granted also, they shouldn't be inches away maybe a foot or two if possible.

• 1 month later...