Vontaze Burfict

Welborn9

I was talking with a draft guy the other day who said Burfict could play SILB in the 3-4 and OLB in the 4-3. I was saying that Burfict is ranked too low as a 4-3 guy in RD1and too high to be there at rd2 given the need for ILB this year. I don't think Nix was sending up a smokescreen by saying Shep is our ILB, and I'm happy with Shep. He will be better than Burfict will be over the next 5 years. Better than Poz, too, BTW.

Looks to me that he had difficulty bringing guys down when the ball carrier came right on. Even when he launched himself at the ball carrier coming in from an angle there were times when the player didn't go down. He needs to get stronger. Seems like he would really struggle in the NFL as an inside linebacker. Couple things that stand out for me with Burfict are his closing/lateral speed and an obvious will to hit. I'm not an expert, but just seems like those skills would be more suited for the outside position. He reminds me a bit of Thomas Davis when he was at Georgia.

And the long answer?

Sure!

From http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/138911-vontaze-burfict/page__p__2318193__hl__burfict__fromsearch__1#entry2318193

I live in Phoenix, and have watched him play for 2 seasons now. i dont want him. He will make 1 play a game. and take 2- 15 yard penalties. He will also take plays off when he is tired.

I reeeeeeeally want to like Burfict, but after watching a few of his games, the bold is what I took away too.

The first game I watched, I had to look online to see if he was actually playing.

3 games, and I'm not sure I saw him make one big play. Certainly not the type of plays the Alabama LBs make regularly that have announcers calling their names constantly.

I'm not worried about him taking penalties, though. We need some intensity and fire.

At the start of this season, he was projected as a top ten talent, who would have to overcome the personal fouls to actually get picked in that area. He has the perfect physical toolset for MLB, just not the head. He takes the occasional cheap shot. He talks 9 different kinds of trash and causes conflict almost every game(some of this could be in self-defense, though. I mean, I am not on the field, so i wont speculate who said what to whom to start the problem). It's too bad really, because this guy is physically gifted. He hits like a truck. he can run down people all over the field. He just might take out the guy next to the pile after the whistle, too.

And I have not seen any, i mean not one play THIS year, that made an impact on the game. No forced fumbles, not hits on the qb leading to a pick 6, nothing. I am not saying he didnt make plays, but I dont remember any. And I watched every asu game since i am a fan...

Is he worth a 3rd or 4th rd pick? Absolutely. A first or a second rd pick? i would say no way...

And from http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/140828-vontaze-burfict-defensive-game-changer/page__p__2356325__hl__burfict__fromsearch__1#entry2356325

This thread is typical of us reacting to a name player we don't know much about (I do it all the time)

Burfict was an absolute bust this year. I live down the street from ASU and watched or went to most games. He looks paunchy and slow. He is not a playmaker. He was often out of position. He plays like a Raider with some of the dumbest and costliest fouls I've seen.

I'm an ASU fan who watches as many of their games as I can on TV or web streams, and I was MASSIVELY disappointed with Burfict. He definitely looked slower to me this year, and his attitude is not good. Constantly getting personal fouls. The past two years they were almost all for continuing to push and shove after the whistle. This year, he added b!tching at the refs to his repertoire. I suggested in an earlier thread about Burfict that maybe he belongs at DE; I think his mentality and skill set are better suited to just turning him loose on QBs. Coverage doesn't look like it will ever be a strong point so if he stays at MLB, he might be just a 1st and 2nd down guy. No earthly way I'd consider him with the 10th pick...and without knowing what free agency will bring, I absolutely want that pick to go for defense. We can find better than this guy.

Edited by DrDareustein

I`d like him too. Over Sheppard the leopard. Has a Ray Lewis type nasty streak too him. Something the Bills have lacked for years.

I hate bagging on college kids, but he's an idiot. He has some serious issues. ASU coodled him as much as you possibly could. He regressed this on the field and he continues to get stupid personal foul penalties. I love aggressiveness but I hate stupidity. Look at teh 1st Lions-Saints game with all the braindead personal foul penalties that killed that team. Say what about Ray Lewis, but he is a very smart football player. VB is the exact opposite.

And Sheppard was a rookie. We are switching to a 4-3, the same defense he played for an elite college team in. Let's give him more than one year shall we?

I hate bagging on college kids, but he's an idiot. He has some serious issues. ASU coodled him as much as you possibly could. He regressed this on the field and he continues to get stupid personal foul penalties. I love aggressiveness but I hate stupidity. Look at teh 1st Lions-Saints game with all the braindead personal foul penalties that killed that team. Say what about Ray Lewis, but he is a very smart football player. VB is the exact opposite.

And Sheppard was a rookie. We are switching to a 4-3, the same defense he played for an elite college team in. Let's give him more than one year shall we?

Agreed, but watching him play, it's not even about the stupid personal fouls and lack of self-control.

The real knock, imo, is that he did not make ANY big plays this entire season. Maybe 1 forced fumble, I think. But in the season before heading to the NFL, it was like he wasnt even on the field.

Agreed, but watching him play, it's not even about the stupid personal fouls and lack of self-control.

The real knock, imo, is that he did not make ANY big plays this entire season. Maybe 1 forced fumble, I think. But in the season before heading to the NFL, it was like he wasnt even on the field.

I guess if he was racking up 15 sacks or 5 INTs, I could live with the dumb penalties.

But I've said this before. If a kid can't focus with millions on the line, how is he going to do it with millions in his pocket?

He's not the kind of player that Nix or Gailey want on the Bills, so I see no way they draft him in any round. I have seen pretty much every game he has played in, and it's true that this year he sucked most of the time. There was clearly something wrong with him and he wasn't into it a lot of the time. I'm also sure there were a combination of factors but unless you were on the sidelines or in the lockerroom it's hard to tell what it was.

The thing is, he was a punk and he was 20 years old. Some guys grow up and some guys don't. Personally, I think he is going to be a terror in the pros after a year or two, but I wouldn't take him before the third round. I also think you can throw out the tape from this year as far as not being able to tackle or not being strong enough or shed blocks. He will surely be able to do that when motivated. Yeah, it's easy to say you don't want a guy that isn't motivated and a lot of times that turns out to be true. A lot of times the light comes on for them, too, when they get older and when there is money at stake and when you are not the toughest guy in the locker room and bmoc you are the rookie.

I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Bills uni but we have a MLB in Sheppard so i'm not sure that Nix & company would go that route ??

And somebody needs to tell the youtubers to get some better music with these clips the ignorants just blasts through !! I can't make through a entire clip with out turning it off b/c of the so called music IT'S GARBAGE !! Especially when they use the N word & all the cursing it SUCKS !!! :angry:

I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Bills uni but we have a MLB in Sheppard so i'm not sure that Nix & company would go that route ??

And somebody needs to tell the youtubers to get some better music with these clips the ignorants just blasts through !! I can't make through a entire clip with out turning it off b/c of the so called music IT'S GARBAGE !! Especially when they use the N word & all the cursing it SUCKS !!! :angry:

Your computer doesnt have volume/mute control? :nana:

I`d like him too. Over Sheppard the leopard. Has a Ray Lewis type nasty streak too him. Something the Bills have lacked for years.

Yeah I'm not sold on Sheppard by any means, but I will give him a chance in a 4-3. He played that position pretty well in college.

I don't know which I like least about "Vontaze", his name, his attitude, or lack of consistent production.

Edited by Turbosrrgood