Ralph Wilson is a Genius

BigBallzMcgee

good word disgraceful-

The problem I have is spending money and being a good football team aren't related. I wish it were that simple, then we would really know what to complain about. If you want to argue front office frugal your right. But player payroll = success just isn't accurate. Eagles were alway bottom 3 or 4 until this year and have a good team for a while. Ironically this year they buy up players and stink

Edited by CardinalScotts

What's new or insightful about the story? Ralph has owned this franchise for more than half a century. His business model is the same as when he started. His cumulative record for his team is a losing record. His football decisions, especially his hires have been stunningly bad. Tell us something we don't already know.

The writer of the article seems to be very frustrated that an owner in his 90s doesn't seem to exhibit an urgency to win, especially at this stage of his life. The writer needs to face the reality that the owner has a different perspective on what it means to own a franchise. For him it is a lucrative business venture, nothing more. His business advisors have been with him for a long time while the football side of the operation has for a long time been in a state of chaos, with a lot of staff changes.

The owner is not going to sell because every year he takes home a substantial profit and every year the team appreciates. From a business standpoint why would he sell? He is going to squeeze the piggy until there is nothing to squeeze.

The paternalistic owner feels that he has done the region a favor by keeping the team in the area for the duration of his ownership. What happens afterwards doesn't matter much to him because he won't be around.

The team is going to be auctioned off to the highest bidder. If a local group wins the bid the team will stay. If not, the team will be moved. It's as simple as that.

You know bleacher report is like wikipedia for sports journalism right?

I'm not a huge fan of him either but you could get a better source

Denial here runs deep.

SJ13 will say hello from the playoffs next year...for another franchise.

Edited by Cornerville

For one, I disagree with his contention that the Bills haven't won a Championship in their 52 years as a franchise.

You are correct if you are including prior merger era. During the post merger we have not won a championship.

Is there anything else you disagree with in the article?

What's new or insightful about the story? Ralph has owned this franchise for more than half a century. His business model is the same as when he started. His cumulative record for his team is a losing record. His football decisions, especially his hires have been stunningly bad. Tell us something we don't already know.

The writer of the article seems to be very frustrated that an owner in his 90s doesn't seem to exhibit an urgency to win, especially at this stage of his life. The writer needs to face the reality that the owner has a different perspective on what it means to own a franchise. For him it is a lucrative business venture, nothing more. His business advisors have been with him for a long time while the football side of the operation has for a long time been in a state of chaos, with a lot of staff changes.

The owner is not going to sell because every year he takes home a substantial profit and every year the team appreciates. From a business standpoint why would he sell? He is going to squeeze the piggy until there is nothing to squeeze.

The paternalistic owner feels that he has done the region a favor by keeping the team in the area for the duration of his ownership. What happens afterwards doesn't matter much to him because he won't be around.

The team is going to be auctioned off to the highest bidder. If a local group wins the bid the team will stay. If not, the team will be moved. It's as simple as that.

If the team stays as a result of Wilson having a "secret" succession plan that keeps the team in Buffalo he deserves to have a giant bronze statue erected in his honor and a street named after him-He is a man of honor and one to be respected forever.

If he leaves the city out to dry with no regard or concern about what happens to the team after he dies , he should be burned in effigy on a yearly basis in a sort of "Burning Man" festival held at the once sacred ground formerly known as "Rich Stadium". His bust should be stolen from Canton and every Bills fan should have it for one day to do whatever they feel appropriate to it, This and his family will be pranked called daily, have their houses egged, toilet papered and that trick with the burning bag of dog poo!

If the team stays as a result of Wilson having a "secret" succession plan that keeps the team in Buffalo he deserves to have a giant bronze statue erected in his honor and a street named after him-He is a man of honor and one to be respected forever.

If you think there is a "secret succession plan" other than auctioning the team to the highest bidder then you are more optimistic than I am. I doubt it. That's just my opinion.

If he leaves the city out to dry with no regard or concern about what happens to the team after he dies , he should be burned in effigy on a yearly basis in a sort of "Burning Man" festival held at the once sacred ground formerly known as "Rich Stadium". His bust should be stolen from Canton and every Bills fan should have it for one day to do whatever they feel appropriate to it, This and his family will be pranked called daily, have their houses egged, toilet papered and that trick with the burning bag of dog poo!

After the owner passes he certainly is not going to worry about what any of the "locals" think.

Whatever happens to the franchise doesn't justify bad behavior and juvenile responses. Life isn't always fair, or at least what we consider to be fair. It's called reality.

Leave or not after death, Ralph and the Bills have brought more tears to my eyes and joy to my heart than my 1st marriage and more than likly my 2nd also. I have watched them since the beginning and it's the best thing that ever happened to Buffalo. Time to step back and look at all the good times and be positive about the future.

Denial here runs deep.

SJ13 will say hello from the playoffs next year...for another franchise.

I would tag him just to keep him off another team. When the team was good, Ralph HAD to spend money. When we are the laughingstock of the NFL, he gets rich. The best thing that could possibly happen is new ownership.

"The Bills owner has said he's dedicated to the team staying in Western New York—is that really true?

If he wants the team to remain in the area, and there's a "group" of local investors ready to buy, why isn't he selling now?

It seems as though Wilson's ego won't let him live a day on Earth without being the Bills owner. No one said he would be exiled from the organization if he did sell the team to a Western New York investment group. "

This team is his life's work. Why would he want to sell it? He is still alive, you know. Ego?!? Well, if I'm Ralph I keep the team 'till my last breath. He's earned the right. It's his team/company to do what he wants. As a businessman, this old man knows what he's doing. You can always shop at another store.

Mr. Wilson recently stated that the Bills need receivers. Now it at least appears that SJ is going to walk. A flashier, faster wideout will sell more tickets in the short term.

Do you still think that Mr. Wilson has no say in the first round? :oops:

You are correct if you are including prior merger era. During the post merger we have not won a championship.

Is there anything else you disagree with in the article?

Then don't say "52 years." In two of those 52 years, they won the Championship. It speaks to his credibility. I wouldn't make that error in a post on here, let alone an article that he obviously put some time into. He's a young kid, what do you expect? Probably never even heard of Jerry Butler.

No, I agree with virtually everything he says.

Mr. Wilson recently stated that the Bills need receivers. Now it at least appears that SJ is going to walk. A flashier, faster wideout will sell more tickets in the short term.

Do you still think that Mr. Wilson has no say in the first round? :oops:

My intention is not to be disresptful but at this stage of his life I'm not sure he is alert enough to know what is going on with the draft or even has an adequate base of knowledge of the players on the roster. Wilson is still well aware of the bottom line. If he has a tendency to fade he has his designated shark, Jeff Littman, to make sure that the cash/flow tilts in his favor.

There is no doubt that in the past Ralph has been involved with the draft, especially the first pick. It's his toy so no one is going to tell him, the boss, what he can or can't do. Ralph will in advance be told who they are going to pick or hope to pick with the first pick. That is the appropriate thing to do. After that he is out of the picture.

There is nothing surprising that the inept owner stated that the Bills needed better receivers. He is correct. With or without Stevie Johnson they still need to add to that position. He could have said the same thing about the defensive line, the LB corps, the OL and the qb position.

Let me remind you that the Bills are not obligated to spend up to 90% of the cap this upcoming year. The following year they will be forced to spend more than they have been willing to spend. So what do you think Littman's budget strategy is going to be this season? It certainly is not going to do more when you are allowed to do less.

There are some diehards who believe that the Bills are going to be aggressively involved in the free agent market. I'm not one of them. There may be some acquisitions but none of major consequences. If the Bills should surprise me and make an expensive signing or two then expect some players on this roster to be let go to balance out the in-coming contracts.

Let me state my position about the draft. If the receiver from Oklahoma State, Blackmon, is on the board, improbable as that might be, and we pass him then Nix should be laughed out of the league. You are making a big mistake when you get fixated on a position at the expense of a potential supreme talent. Caveat: That line of reasoning does not apply to the CB or RB position for us this year.

Edited by JohnC

I believe that under the terms of the current agreement, each team receives an equal share of league money. And also under that agreement, they are required to spend a set minimum. So as cheap as Ralph may be, he doesn't have the leeway to just stuff the league payments into his fanny pack.

Areas where owners can be cheap or lavish (that is, outside league mandates) include coaches salaries, scouting departments, training facilities, etc. If you're looking for evidence that Ralph is cheap, I'd suggest you nose around in those areas.

I believe that under the terms of the current agreement, each team receives an equal share of league money. And also under that agreement, they are required to spend a set minimum. So as cheap as Ralph may be, he doesn't have the leeway to just stuff the league payments into his fanny pack.

Areas where owners can be cheap or lavish (that is, outside league mandates) include coaches salaries, scouting departments, training facilities, etc. If you're looking for evidence that Ralph is cheap, I'd suggest you nose around in those areas.

My point regarding Littman controlling spending is that under the new CBA teams are required to spend at least to 89% of the cap. That doesn't go into effect until 2013. So I don't expect that the Bills will greatly increase their payroll this year compared to last year. In 2013 the Bills will be required to substantially increase their payroll.

the team has not been there for more than fifty years and I just thought I would point that out. that is all. it needed to be corrected

The Bills began play in the AFL in 1960. The AFL merged with the NFL in 1970. Your calculation is different from mine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Bills

"He bought the team in 1959 for an absolutely ridiculous $25,000. Forbes' 2011 NFL valuation estimated the Bills' worth at $792 million. He has no stadium debt.

Daniel Snyder bought the Washington Redskins in 1999 for $750 million. Jerry Jones purchased the Dallas Cowboys for $150 million in 1989. However, Jones is on the hook for $200 million in debt from his new stadium.

All that really puts Wilson's unheard of profit into perspective."

This paragraph is hysterical. Did he write that article with a crayon?

Edited by QCity

The writer of the article seems to be very frustrated that an owner in his 90s doesn't seem to exhibit an urgency to win, especially at this stage of his life. The writer needs to face the reality that the owner has a different perspective on what it means to own a franchise. For him it is a lucrative business venture, nothing more.

Ralph is 94 years old and has a net worth that is north of 1/2 billion dollars. Are you seriously going to sit here and say the Bills are nothing more than a lucrative business for him? "nothing more" Maybe you know him personally, but if you don't you're assuming Ralph would rather make more money that he would never spend in 5 generations or finally win a championship before he dies. If you think he'd rather have 10 or 20 million more in the bank than win a championship you're crazy.

Yes we've let a few players walk over money that we shouldn't have, but so have a lot of NFL teams including the two super bowl teams this year. One of which we beat and the other we damn near beat.

I fault the guy for his lack of a succession plan and how he nudges his GM's into drafting running backs early and often, but I think he wants to win as badly as anyone in the NFL, maybe more than most because it's eluded him for so long. Its not just about throwing money at players or hiring Shanahan or Gruden or Cowher or Fisher.

He's put a good coach on the field and a good GM in the front office (finally) Give the old bastard a break.....