Whose the better OT

aussiebills

I have seen a couple of mocks and both these guys are going in the second half of the first round

So who would be better Reiff or Martin i would like to hear your opinion since i havent really looked at either

And should the bills reach for either of them at 10

-AB

I don't know who is better, but I like Reiff the most. He's a mean run blocker, he finishes every play and destroys people at the second level, you have to love that about the guy. Martin could be the best pass blocker but I think Reiff has more room for improvement.

I would not complain if we drat either at 10.

From Russ Lande:

"I think both of these guys would have to be serious considerations for the Bills. They both would step in, and even if they weren't great they would be solid, and considering the guys the Bills played with this season, be it Demetrius Bell or Chris Hairston, Reiff and Martin are both better players than those two, no question."

I don't know who is better, but I like Reiff the most. He's a mean run blocker, he finishes every play and destroys people at the second level, you have to love that about the guy. Martin could be the best pass blocker but I think Reiff has more room for improvement.

This

Wish Decastro was and LT :thumbsup:

trde

I think reiff is pretty unanimously ranked in the top ten, Martin not much behind. I don't think either would be considered a reach at ten.

Agree that neither is a reach in sharp contrast to the DEs and OLBs available. That's why we better trade down if we don't go OT (speaking of which, like a lot of you, I watch a bunch of NFL Network this time of year and I could have sworn that Mayock's OT ticker has had Reiff ahed of Kalil a couple of times--think it's back to Kalil again--anyone else catch this???).

I would think Martin is the better of the two , i have heard that Reiff is projected to be a better RT because of his feet they say he can't move as well or something like that ..

Plus Martin did a good job at keeping Luck up right & i would think he is the better of the 2 as a NFL ready LT !!!

i have no idea who the better prospect is, i just know i want the meaner guy on my team. the guy that loves contact and wants to destroy and demoralize the opposition. a guy that can open nice running lanes for freddy and cj. so whichever of the two better fit that mold, that's the guy i'd take.

I have seen a couple of mocks and both these guys are going in the second half of the first round

So who would be better Reiff or Martin i would like to hear your opinion since i havent really looked at either

-AB

I don't want to see the Bill drafting a LT with either of our first 2 picks. That's exactly what's wrong with this team. We have a 3rd year starter who is headed into his prime. Resign Demetrius Bell... he's just 25 years old. Our OL was among the best in the league in the first half of the season.

Our first 2 picks should be used on positions that have clearly been our weakest the past year; DE, LB. When everyone was healthy our OL was just fine... when everyone was healthy Jason Campbell and Andy Dalton carved us up.

I don't want to see the Bill drafting a LT with either of our first 2 picks. That's exactly what's wrong with this team. We have a 3rd year starter who is headed into his prime. Resign Demetrius Bell... he's just 25 years old. Our OL was among the best in the league in the first half of the season.

Our first 2 picks should be used on positions that have clearly been our weakest the past year; DE, LB. When everyone was healthy our OL was just fine... when everyone was healthy Jason Campbell and Andy Dalton carved us up.

i think what we are looking for here is an upgrade. a big one. no matter what position we draft we need to get a signifigant upgrade over the player we have penciled in right now. and if the difference between the starting tackle and the kid available at number ten is a lot more than the whoever we have at linebacker, d end or corner at the time, that's what you do.

-AB

Reiff has been projected as high as the #2 pick by some mocks . . . and even if either were available when we pick, I say the Bills are better off resigning Bell, and drafting for defensive needs.

Drafting to replace quality players you let walk does not build a team.

By that I mean, if the BIlls let Stevie and D. Bell walk, they have just opened up two more glaring need areas (Besides the many they already have). Sure, you might be able to draft someone to come in and immediately take their place, but you have also let other areas of need go unaddressed because of the need you just created. That is not a winning strategy.

The Bills have to figure out how to keep their better players, and draft people that will help them elsewhere, and it's been a long time since we've done that.

totally agree!!!!

Edited by CSBill

Agree that neither is a reach in sharp contrast to the DEs and OLBs available. That's why we better trade down if we don't go OT (speaking of which, like a lot of you, I watch a bunch of NFL Network this time of year and I could have sworn that Mayock's OT ticker has had Reiff ahed of Kalil a couple of times--think it's back to Kalil again--anyone else catch this???).

Reiff is Mayock's #1 ranked OT.

+1

+1

Thx...

I'm irritated with the entire management of this team across multiple GMs/Coaches. Indications seem that they're ready to let Bell walk and we're going to get the BS about not being able to resign Stevie Johnson. We hit on 2 7th round draft picks, who are now going into their prime. They're the best picks the team has made in the past 5 years and they're going to walk and then everyone will be talking about the guys that need to be drafted in 1st or 2nd round to replace them...

Meanwhile we don't have a 1st/2nd round pick on the roster who's approaching the Pro Bowl (maybe Levitre). Furthermore, our MVP running back is also undrafted, while we've picked 2 RBs in the first round this decade that we haven't kept to contribute to the team and a third who's the back-up. Three #1 picks spent on RBs this decade!

Then the guys we extend are all the wrong choices that the whole board lets out a collective groan as soon as they occur. Terrence McGee over Jabari Greer a few years ago and Chris Kelsay last year.

Is it any wonder we end each season on demoralizing losing streaks.

-- Sign Bell/Johnson/Chandler

-- Extend Jackson in a realistic way (high dollar next 2 years, more incentive based later) so we're not forced to cut him in 2 years

-- Keep drafting for defense

-- Cut loose McGee/Kelsay

Edited by cage

i have no idea who the better prospect is, i just know i want the meaner guy on my team. the guy that loves contact and wants to destroy and demoralize the opposition. a guy that can open nice running lanes for freddy and cj. so whichever of the two better fit that mold, that's the guy i'd take.

The player you are describing is neither Kalil nor Martin - nor a left tackle...it is Stanford right guard David DeCastro (think Joe DeLamielleure)...

Stanford runs behind a pulling DeCastro on three out of four run plays because his prowess as a blocker on the move is impressive. Although he is not an elite athlete, the Washington native simply does get not beaten in pass protection, either. Sound technique, excellent toughness, and intelligence are all traits scouts look for in a first-round interior offensive line prospect--and DeCastro has them all in spades...

Pass blocking: Doesn't get beat. Has enough of an anchor and resets hands to get leverage if beaten initially. Keeps feet churning and his head up. Capable of blocking down with one hand and sliding to help tackle. Very aware of late blitzers, can stonewall them or ride them out of the pocket. Usually keeps arms extended in pass pro to maintain distance with his man. Loses the hand-to-hand battle occasionally but works to quickly counter.

Run blocking: Excels as a run blocker in power, zone and on the move. Plays with his eyes up. Takes defenders to the ground and doesn't let up. Rarely allows defenders to sidestep. Not dominant as a drive blocker but grinds to the whistle. Defensive tackles with elite power can anchor or move him off the snap.

Pulling/trapping: Dominant leading on pulls outside and traps inside. Reaches second level instantly, has natural bend and flexibility to get correct angle. Does not always dominate smaller defenders after initial contact, falling off instead of latching on, but can take out multiple targets when he squares. Will miss inside target on occasion, giving max effort to cut or reach the linebacker.

Initial Quickness: Very good off the snap. Gets hands up immediately, rarely beaten with an initial pass-rush move. Swims to reach second-level defenders. Generates push in goal-line situations, firing off hard and low.

Downfield: Has enough -- but not great -- speed. Very effective negating targets seven or eight yards downfield. Inconsistent sustaining blocks against powerful linebackers and defensive backs, lowering his head to easily be disengaged.

Intangibles: Solid work ethic and character. Known for his work on the practice field and weight room. Durable; could play every snap in any scheme. Chose Stanford for its academic standards.

Link - NFL DraftScout/CBS Sports

I know we have glaring needs at DE and LB, but we also saw our offensive line start to crumble under the weight of last season's injuries, mainly due to lack of depth. DeCastro's the real deal, probably will start as a rookie, and could well develop into the NFL's best guard. Some mocks have him going as high as #13 - and that could change after the combine, which starts on Wednesday.

Right now, I still think 'bama OLB Courtney Upshaw's our guy - but if he's gone or has a bad combine and we're sticking to the philosophy of best-available player, DeCastro might be the pick. Personally, I'd have no problem with that. JMO.

-AB

Martin